Joined 2 condos. Join a 3rd?

I bought 2 small condos and converted to a nice 1 bedroom, corner unit.

The one next door is for sale. I was thinking I could buy it, fix it up and rent it out.

I was thinking of having a door so I could have the option of more space when it's not rented.

Good or bad idea?

Edited by banagan

30 minutes ago, jadee said:

Buying the next unit and renting it out could be smart depending on the demand in your area, especially if you buy it at a good price. If it's foreclosed and you buy it at auction, it could be good.

In my opinion, the idea of having a door between your unit and one you want to rent out doesn't sound to me like a good idea for 2 reasons

1) I personally wouldn't like renting a place that had a weird connecting door only my landlord had the key to and could open at any point...kind of creepy...but maybe Thais would be okay with it.
2) There's also the privacy issue - unless you buy a completely soundproof door (don't know where you buy one of those in Thailand) but you're going to hear everything!

Out of interest - when you join two smaller units do you keep the two original deeds or have to get a lawyer to create a new one? 

Good points.

I have 2 deeds.

21 hours ago, jadee said:

Buying the next unit and renting it out could be smart depending on the demand in your area, especially if you buy it at a good price. If it's foreclosed and you buy it at auction, it could be good.

In my opinion, the idea of having a door between your unit and one you want to rent out doesn't sound to me like a good idea for 2 reasons

1) I personally wouldn't like renting a place that had a weird connecting door only my landlord had the key to and could open at any point...kind of creepy...but maybe Thais would be okay with it.
2) There's also the privacy issue - unless you buy a completely soundproof door (don't know where you buy one of those in Thailand) but you're going to hear everything!

Out of interest - when you join two smaller units do you keep the two original deeds or have to get a lawyer to create a new one? 

You have never stayed in a big hotel where they can join two rooms together for a large family friends?

• Like 1

I personally would not rent a unit with a door, no matter how secure, that leads into someone else's unit, especially the owner's. Maybe if it were a different market people would take it, but I thought right now it's a renter's market, so someone can pretty much get whatever they want—or turn down a place for almost no reason. If you want to buy it, I'd do it simply for the luxury of expanding into that third unit. Just my two cents.

• Like 1

I don't see the reason to do this.  If you wish to invest in a rental condo I have no position on that concept.  But I see no reason to own the one next door to where you want to live.  So unless you are buying next door to expand your own unit further I say pass and look for a rental unit apart from your own home.

Actually if I was going to be a landlord in Thailand I wouldn't even want my tenant condo in the same building I live in.  Keep home and business apart.  That's just me.

On 4/18/2020 at 8:39 PM, jadee said:

Agree... even if I stay at a hotel I refuse to take a room with adjoining door.... I don’t want to be concerned about ....

On 4/18/2020 at 2:39 PM, jadee said:

A simple hasp inside the tenants side would be enough.

5 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

You have never stayed in a big hotel where they can join two rooms together for a large family friends?

First time in Australia arriving at 9pm on a Friday night and stayed in King's Cross Hotel with my wife and 6mth old son. Party central in the next room with connecting doors - could hear everything! Blockaded our side of the door with furniture to ensure safety. Checked out first thing next morning.

Edited by soi3eddie