Stranded tourists: Hundreds lying low in Phangnga but they must pay up for hotels

webfact

Stranded tourists: Hundreds lying low in Phangnga but they must pay up for hotels 

4pm_vi.jpg

MCOT reported that the authorities in Phangnga in southern Thailand were discussing how to assist 266 foreign tourists stranded in the province due to the coronavirus pandemic. 

They are scattered in hotels throughout the province that lies alongside the Andaman sea. 

The authorities are monitoring the situation and any hotels that are unable to look after guests after April 30th have been asked to survey the needs of their clients. 

It is hoped that one large hotel can be used to house all the people stuck in Phangnga

But the tourists must pay for everything themselves.

Source: MCOT

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-20

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, keith101 said:

They are forced to stay where they are and expected to pay for it themselves are they forcing Thai returnees to do the same or is the government paying their bills ?

As usual a possible double standard .

No, returnees who are placed in quarantine on return to the country are not required to pay for accommodation. (There is an article to that effect in that well known rival news paper) But I don't see any double standard there. One would expect a country to look after is own nationals.

And do you suppose that the many Thais that are currently stranded in foreign countries are having their accommodation paid for them? I rather doubt it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mickymouse1 said:

Let's be fair here, the lockdown and shutdown of Airports in many countries and in Thailand was announced in advance and we all knew it was coming.I got out in good time and so did some of my friends even though they own properties in Samui.

Those who elected to remain have no excuse whatsoever to complain or ask for a free Lodging etc.. Their respective embassies should get involved immediately. 

Maybe there only source of information was the orange man and Fox News, they were sure that the number would go down to zero in no time. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

They are forced to stay where they are and expected to pay for it themselves are they forcing Thai returnees to do the same or is the government paying their bills ?

They could have easily left. The warning signs were there in Feb. But these are ppl who chose to  stay. There were and there are still flights to home countries. Where there is a will, there is a way to get out. 

If they can't pay bills, hand them over to their resp. embassies or IDC may be an alternative.

Edited by Letseng
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I think the government SHOULD pay for them. BUT, only if they can show that their flights were cancelled. I think that is fair

And if they can show that they have no more money in the bank and can prove that they never had the chance to fly back , because otherwise they should pay it themselfs life would have cost them money in their homecountry as well or is it free there ??? And many of them get money and help from their own government other then thai people . 

5 hours ago, Ventenio said:

look, I'm one of these tourists!!!  Have compassion!!!

I came to Thailand with 400 baht, sleep on the beach, mai bpen rai na krap, and live my life for a week!!!  then i realized this corona thing was no joke (I was drunk every day so what did I know).  i figured i would be loved in the world, everything free, and i would find my new paradise (if free).  

but, oh no, these people want money.  omg, money is evil!!!  if only i could go through life never worrying, but this job thing gets me down.  and this saving money thing.  and this responsible thing.  man, i tell people i'm 19 but I'm really 73.  

i have lost the plot.  it's amazing i can even find my computer.  

I fear you are off your TROLly

5 hours ago, Ventenio said:

I came to Thailand with 400 baht, sleep on the beach, mai bpen rai na krap, and live my life for a week!!!  then i realized this corona thing was no joke (I was drunk every day so what did I know).  i figured i would be loved in the world, everything free, and i would find my new paradise (if free).  

but, oh no, these people want money.  omg, money is evil!!!  if only i could go through life never worrying, but this job thing gets me down.  and this saving money thing.  and this responsible thing.  man, i tell people i'm 19 but I'm really 73.  

I think you are off your TROLly

18 hours ago, keith101 said:

they should have flown home weeks ago....

and why has my font shrunk?

19 hours ago, Ventenio said:

I love it, well done. 

16 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

And if they can show that they have no more money in the bank and can prove that they never had the chance to fly back , because otherwise they should pay it themselfs life would have cost them money in their homecountry as well or is it free there ??? And many of them get money and help from their own government other then thai people . 

They would have had 2 weeks free accom in quarantine in their own country.

If their flights were cancelled then their accom should be paid for by either thai or their own govt. you cannot just leave them to rot when they have no option.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 10:51 AM, keith101 said:

Is your government paying for stranded tourists?

On 4/20/2020 at 1:39 PM, mickymouse1 said:

Let's be fair here, the lockdown and shutdown of Airports in many countries and in Thailand was announced in advance and we all knew it was coming.I got out in good time and so did some of my friends even though they own properties in Samui.

Those who elected to remain have no excuse whatsoever to complain or ask for a free Lodging etc.. Their respective embassies should get involved immediately. 

Embassies helping out?

Good luck with that.

Once here they don't want to know you