Outdoor Security Camera

Brightly

Hi all,

I’m in the market for an outside security camera.

The specs I want are WiFi, wireless, no-drill installation, motion detector, and easy to install with my iPad or iPhone.

Does anyone have any good suggestions?  I’m a security camera newbie, so easy installation is key on my list.

Thanks in advance!

9 minutes ago, Brightly said:

The specs I want are WiFi, wireless, no-drill installation, motion detector, and easy to install with my iPad or iPhone.

It will have been stolen before you've even logged in to the App on your iPhone !!

Just kidding but why do you want no drill installation ?? Not even sure what that means !! Just it just stick on the wall ? 

We have HikVision and they are great units but not wireless or "no drill"...

Thanks to those who’ve responded so far!

The reason I want no-drill installation is because I suspect that it’s the handyman who is entering my house!  He’d be the one who I’d normally ask to install it.  And although I have a drill and could do it myself, I don’t want to tip my hand.

My budget is low to medium-end.  I’ve already ordered a different door lock, but I want to catch this guy in the act!

1 minute ago, Brightly said:

The reason I want no-drill installation is because I suspect that it’s the handyman who is entering my house!  He’d be the one who I’d normally ask to install it.  And although I have a drill and could do it myself, I don’t want to tip my hand.

My budget is low to medium-end.  I’ve already ordered a different door lock, but I want to catch this guy in the act!

Its going to need atleast one fixing  for the bracket that holds the camera.

You still havnt answered how this is going to be powered? Are you going to run a power cable to it, or is there a nearby outlet you work from ? Depending on this it could be done from 800 baht ( I have several) upt to thousands. You got  to get these basic answered to go in the right direction and solution.

Here is a starting point, bare in mind whatever you get, you going to need an "always on" internet source unless you up the money and get one with its own built in sim and data package.

Heres a start point, they have many varieties on Lazada.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/battery-included-solar-powered-ip-camera-cctv-wifi-hd-1080p-app-view-pir-evkvo-i866030168-s1746944462.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.30.68755c6cyBGLYT&search=1

There are so many to choose from.
If you want to catch someone entering your house, why don't you put one inside?
Much easier to power and place.
Most will store movement to an SD card, which you can view over wifi on your phone.
1,000 to 2,000 baht. Probably cheaper via shopee.

NotEinstein,

This is a good option I hadn’t thought of.  Although I don’t want “him” coming into my house any more, this would be one way to gather incontrovertible evidence.

I’ve also considered asking the suspected handyman himself to install my outdoor unit, which would certainly dissuade him from coming in again, but then, I will never ”catch” him that way.

And even if I do “catch” him, it begs the question of whether he’d come back to thwart me, assuming he’d lose his job over it- security cam or no.

Thorny issues...!

47 minutes ago, Brightly said:

If you suspect someone entering your house, you can buy a light bulb camera, or a hidden clock camera and such like from Lazada. 

Not expensive, and no drilling. 

After living here for ten years, I just moved from Chiang Mai back to America.  One of the first things I purchased for my home in America was a security camera.  After a little research I went with the Ring doorbell camera.  It was simple to install, stick on or two screws, I went with the screws for security reasons.  It is battery powered and I only have to recharge the battery once every two to three weeks.  It has a motion detector that alerts your cell phone when there is movement up to 30 or so feet that is adjustable for distance, it has two way talk or you can just listen, it auto records all events, and it has a doorbell that rings on your cell phone.  You can also turn on live view from your cell phone anytime you wish just to check on things.  The cost in America is just $99.00  I've had mine for six months and I'm very pleased with it.     orhttps://shop.ring.com/collections/doorbell-cameras/products/video-doorbells

• Like 2

If you're going to go with an indoor camera, I'd suggest a Wyze.  (available on AliExpress, not so much on Lazada)  Dirt cheap, easy to set up and I like the time lapse feature, which works while it's also recording events.  Small and unobtrusive, I just set mine on top of the fridge, aimed it at the door.  The only real hiccup is that they're powered by a micro-usb cable.  It can be set up to notify your smartcam whenever an event is triggered.  You can also get a cheap outdoor enclosure, but keep in mind you still need to feed it a USB power cable- no battery.

I also had good luck with VSTARCAM cameras in Thailand- very widely available.  They're a little bigger and more noticeable, but easy to set up and notify you over the interweb whenever there's an event.  I also tried out a Xiaomi Mijia, which was a little more expensive, but quite good.  None of those required a subscription, but they did require a home wifi (just for remote viewing) and a USB power cable.  All of them record events (using a micro SD card), and can be set up to notify you of an event anywhere you get cell reception.

If you want a battery powered camera that's truly wireless, bring money.  The cheapest I found in Thailand was about 3,000 baht, but that was 2 years ago and maybe there's more available now.  

Based on your needs, I'd suggest the Wyze if you can find one.  They're tiny and nobody even notices them.

Here's a Youtube from mine in Texas...  Boring unless you like to watch fish.  But it gives an idea of what you'll see.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

I fitted a "HikVision 4 channel HD WiFi NVR kit" to our house. It was about 8,000 Baht from Lazada, including a 1Tb hard drive.

The cameras need a power supply for each, so a small hole is required for the power cable but there is no need for a signal cable to be run from each camera to the control box.

The hard drive allows about one week of data to recorded.

The internet connection allows the live feed from the cameras to be viewed on a smart phone using the Hik Connect App.

Now you have provided a bit more info, it's a lot easier for people to advise...

As said above, plenty of indoor wireless wifi options.

We have a powered one with wifi that I bought to keep an eye on the dog. Great little camera that you can move around via your phone app, plus 2 way talk..

As this thread understandably dies down, I want to thank everyone who responded with helpful information.

This thread represents the best of ThaiVisa: neighborly advice provided in the spirit of kindness and sharing, NOT the snarky, mean-spirited, off-topic guff that pollutes these pages every.single.day.

So, THANKS!

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 2:30 AM, Brightly said:

Why don't you just buy a nanny cam or car cam and hide it inside overlooking the door?

Unless you disguise an outside camera it's not going to stop anyone. I hid mine in artificial flowers. If they can see it they can just put a balaclava on.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2020 at 10:20 PM, northsouthdevide said:

If you suspect someone entering your house, you can buy a light bulb camera, or a hidden clock camera and such like from Lazada. 

Not expensive, and no drilling. 

Why not change the door locks and make sure all windows and other egresses can be locked.
And personally if I was going to install cameras I'd install them inside.