Im A Newbie To Thailand

ashterrier

Hello everyone,

Im flying into Bangkok early on Sunday morning from England, and i must admit im really nervous as ive got no idea how to get to my hotel in Bangkok, ive heard about trying to get a taxi and problems people face, i speak no thai either, so i am getting a little worried and anxious now.

All help will be greatly recieved.

Thank you

You can get 1 of the airport staff to write the hotel name in Thai to show taxi-meter driver, also ask how much approx this will cost, that will give you an idea if you are going off-route, problem is it is so dam hot after UK you will pay anything to get into air-con taxi and hotel for a beer!! anyway, have fun, rgds, Lickey.

well your gonna learn alot, and maby the hard way like most of us did when we first got here, the best advice I can give you, is carry a stack of those 20 baht green notes and you should be fine, as for the hotel u dont have to spend over a 1000 baht for a room, its not necessary, theres plenty under 1000 baht, just budget yourself like you do back home, but use common sense, cheers

Hi,

Here's my advice :

When you arrive ignore all of the 'taxi' people who mob you as soon as you come out of the arrivals area.

Go the the nearest stairs / lift and go to the ground floor.

Once you get there ignore all the people tyring to sell you taxis - if they ask you 'taxi' just tell them to get one outside like everyone else :o

Walk outside and you will see a long line of taxis - at the front of this line of taxis - at the front of this line of taxis right next to the roadside is a table with two or three Thais sitting around it -show these a print out with the name and address of the hotel where you are going. They will then write out a ticket and tell the driver in Thai where to take you.

Say to the driver 'expressway' or 'toll road' and you will need to make an extra payment for the tolls - today when I came there were 2 tolls of 40 bhat each - but I believe these change depending what time of the day or what day it is.

There might be too mich info rther ebut it always worked for me - today my taxi to Sukhumvit Soi 4 cost about 180 -200 Bhat plus tolls of 80 Bhat and I gave the driver a 50 bhat tip.

Neil

Thanks everyone, all advice taken on board.

Also id just like to ask if anyone has any info on Khaosan Road, im staying near there and wondered if anyone had tips on decent eateries and drinking places?

Thanks

Khaosan is a very social place. You'll have no problems getting live info from the sizable crowd there. Remember to keep your liquid (water) intake up and take a multivitamin or drink a lot of fruit juices the first week or so while you acclimatize to the place. You lose a lot of vitamins when you drink this amount of liquids and you need to replace them to deal with the heat.

Good luck, and have fun.

Hi,

Here's my advice :

When you arrive ignore all of the 'taxi' people who mob you as soon as you come out of the arrivals area.

Go the the nearest stairs / lift and go to the ground floor.

Once you get there ignore all the people tyring to sell you taxis - if they ask you 'taxi' just tell them to get one outside like everyone else :D

Walk outside and you will see a long line of taxis - at the front of this line of taxis - at the front of this line of taxis right next to the roadside is a table with two or three Thais sitting around it -show these a print out with the name and address of the hotel where you are going. They will then write out a ticket and tell the driver in Thai where to take you.

Say to the driver 'expressway' or 'toll road' and you will need to make an extra payment for the tolls - today when I came there were 2 tolls of 40 bhat each - but I believe these change depending what time of the day or what day it is.

There might be too mich info rther ebut it always worked for me - today my taxi to Sukhumvit Soi 4 cost about 180 -200 Bhat plus tolls of 80 Bhat and I gave the driver a 50 bhat tip.

Neil

Do exactly as above, are you travelling alone as it might be worth asking for more advice on other subjects. Still I'm sure you'l love it here! :o

If you are staying near Khao San Rd, every Taxi driver in Bangkok knows it.

Follow the advice given by ukrules to get to your hotel.

Once there get your hands on a map of the area, the hotel should have one.

Have a nose around and enjoy.

KSR has a lot of places to eat and drink.

Most are tourist friendly.

Just look to see where other tourists are eating and drinking, this should help you find some good places.

Use your commonsence as to where you go and what you do.

Most of all. enjoy bangkok.

very detailed and practical advice on getting from airport and things around khaosarn is already provided by many members here, but if u want to know anything else in particular, do feel free to ask. I know the area around khao sarn somewhat well, so will be happy to answer what I can :D

to get you started on a few places:

on khaosarn road itself...if u wanna find a place with more locals try the hippie bar..a nice chilled place...good food, drinks at reasonable price, and youngish thai crowd

Molly Bar on the street behind the main khaosarn street..but be prepared to be surrounded with blasted music :o although u do have the option to sit outside where its a quieter and more farang (foreigner) crowd

make your way to Phra Arthit road if again u wanna meet mor thai people...lots of smallish pub /thai food places there, one also has a live band. ask around how to get to Phra Arthit road....its at the end of other side of Rambutri road.

on same phra arthit road theres a place called Coffee and More....does very good cheesecakes :D and across the road thers a nice small bar :D

meantime hope you enjoy bangkok/ thailand :D cheers

Edited by MiG16

> ...ive heard about trying to get a taxi and problems people face...

It occurs to me that Ash will be in flight as I write these few words, one of the problems that he might encounter from taxi to hotel will be a bucket or two of water.

Hello everyone,

Im flying into Bangkok early on Sunday morning from England, and i must admit im really nervous as ive got no idea how to get to my hotel in Bangkok, ive heard about trying to get a taxi and problems people face, i speak no thai either, so i am getting a little worried and anxious now.

Thank you

Go straight to the thai limo desk that is right in front of you as you get through customs,. its not expensive and you are in safe hands, as its your first trip take no chances, go to the hotel room and pick up a map and information book, you will be on your way to a more confident start in the LOS , welcome

Edited by mikethevigoman

Hello everyone,

Thank you

Go straight to the thai limo desk that is right in front of you as you get through customs,. its not expensive and you are in safe hands, as its your first trip take no chances, go to the hotel room and pick up a map and information book, you will be on your way to a more confident start in the LOS , welcome

Mike do not worry to much Thailand is not that bad. Bangkok is worth a few days I would stay at D&D Inn on Khao San rd it has a good size pool on the roof a great place to cool down and meet other backpackers. I find it better to travel around by taxi always make them turn on the meter.Do not drink with thai men it can be bad for your health. Do not use any of the buses on Khao San rd the service is very bad only use goverment buses or the trains.Always get a card with the place where you are staying address on it in thai so you can always find your way back to your hotel when you are pissed. :o

This would be an unnecessarily expensive start to your trip :o

I think it would be wise to bring a guide. I volunteer! I'm itching like mad to get back to my beloved LOS!!

Another great place very near to KSR is the Rambuttri, nice pool up top and very reasonable, sparkling clean rooms, at around 700-800 Baht. Enjoy yourself; I agree with the poster above who said you would never want to go anywhere else. You're about to have the time of your life!

50 baht tip? No offense but you must be new. While I haven't been here for ages, 25% of the bill is excessive. Remember, this is Thailand.

Also, if you get screwed and driven around and around, chances are, it is not that the taxi driver is screwing you, more he has no idea where you want to go, but won't ask....

Anyway, part of the experiences of traveling mean getting screwed once in awhile...

get the free bus from arrivals to the bus terminal then you can catch a bus to ksr the new bus terminal is very farang friendly all signs in english and lots of very helpful staff last week bus from there to thong lo 35 baht :o