PHOTOS: Construction of Suvarnabhumi’s new passenger terminal gathers speed

webfact

PHOTOS: Construction of Suvarnabhumi’s new passenger terminal gathers speed

93474101_2524357974483223_9171612140430163968_o.jpg

Image: AOT

While Suvarnabhumi Airport might be all but deserted of passengers, construction of a new terminal is gathering speed.

This week, Airports of Thailand were keen to show off the progress being made in spite of the coronavirus pandemic.

A series of photographs shared to the AOT Facebook page appeared to show parts of the new terminal not far from completion, such one area with carpets laid and an escalator already in place, while swanky toilets and a luggage carousel could be seen in some of the other images.

AOT said that social distancing and other preventative measures have been strictly in place during construction.

The second phase expansion of the airport, which includes the new satellite terminal, is set to open in November 2020.

Following the expansion, capacity at the airport will be increased from 45 million to 60 million passengers per year.

The construction is part of a huge expansion planned for Suvarnabhumi which will eventually include a third terminal and fourth runway and which will ramp up passenger capacity to 150 million annually after completion in 2030.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-04-23

93373488_2524357807816573_3526347177137799168_o.jpg

94242370_2524357857816568_1998235591753334784_o.jpg

• Like 1

According to the big plan of the WHO [Bill Gates] there will not be any more travel in the future ...

Unless you have COVID "Certification Of Vaccination ID" of course.

But that's not a problem because everybody will take the Vaccine ... what ever is IN the Vaccine !!!

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, brain150 said:

According to the big plan of the WHO [Bill Gates] there will not be any more travel in the future ...

But that's not a problem because everybody will take the Vaccine ... what ever is IN the Vaccine !!!

Gates is a nerd and a control freak, he can stick his vaccine up his ****!

• Confused 2

14 hours ago, brain150 said:

You don’t have to.  Stay inside 

16 hours ago, khunjeff said:

This isn't a terminal, it's a satellite concourse (as correctly reported on AOT's page) - it provides more than two dozen additional contact gates for aircraft to board and disembark passengers

Save some bus transfers then :wink:. Can only be a good thing. Don't get the negativity. 

8 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Save some bus transfers then :wink:. Can only be a good thing. Don't get the negativity. 

I agree, it's a lot better than a kick in the head! The problem is that poor reporting - and not just on TV - has made many people think that this particular project will help with congestion at immigration (it won't), or that it indicates that the disputes about the location of the second terminal have been resolved (they haven't).

Edited by khunjeff

8 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

outdoor baggage area?  how can that be good?  Say a transferring flight where one must get baggage and check it in onto the next flight?  how about any theft control?

Come on, have you used Suvarnabhumi?  Do you really think they would have outdoor baggage collection in a new satellite terminal?  And then people have to walk back to the main terminal for customs?

That is under the terminal where the baggage handlers unload the bags off the plane and put them into the conveyor system - it is not a collection area.  

• Like 1

I am Aussie who lives in Chiang Mai and transits through Swampy a bit. Always amazes me the number of international flights, arrival and departures where they park on the tarmac and bus it to or from the terminal. Thats ok but so many gates empty. Will the extra addition really help? Why not utilise existing gates and airbridges more? 

58 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Come on, have you used Suvarnabhumi?  Do you really think they would have outdoor baggage collection in a new satellite terminal?  And then people have to walk back to the main terminal for customs?

That is under the terminal where the baggage handlers unload the bags off the plane and put them into the conveyor system - it is not a collection area.  

yes I have used that airport well over 30 times.  As far as what I think is irrelevant.  What the Thais do is what is relevant

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

I am Aussie who lives in Chiang Mai and transits through Swampy a bit. Always amazes me the number of international flights, arrival and departures where they park on the tarmac and bus it to or from the terminal. Thats ok but so many gates empty. Will the extra addition really help? Why not utilise existing gates and airbridges more? 

Nine times out of 10 they bus you when the same plane either arrives internationally and next will be used domestically, or vice versa.  The airport separates domestic and international travellers and thus the airbridges (domestic in concourses A and B, and international in C to G).  They can't move the plane from a domestic airbridge to an international airbridge inbetween flights so instead they park remotely and use buses for both flights.

So no, nothing will change with the new concourse.  As long as Thai uses the same planes for domestic and international flights then this problem will always exist.  And I agree, it is pretty poor.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 4:03 PM, webfact said:

ramp up passenger capacity to 150 million annually after completion in 2030

I pulled out my calculator. 150mil/year is 285 passengers/minute. Even if IOs are processing passengers in 30 secs. each this would need 140 immigration counters if they don't want a backup to start building.

Well, maybe they expect everything to be automated in 10 years, passengers just filing past a face/finger scanner.

17 minutes ago, Why Me said:

I pulled out my calculator. 150mil/year is 285 passengers/minute. Even if IOs are processing passengers in 30 secs. each this would need 140 immigration counters if they don't want a backup to start building.

Well, maybe they expect everything to be automated in 10 years, passengers just filing past a face/finger scanner.

That figure is passenger movements - incoming and outgoing combined.   There are already over 200 immigration desks in the current terminal (130 ish incoming, 70 ish outgoing).  Considering by 2030 they would have a standalone second terminal it's fair to assume there would be at least double that number.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Thais and those from Hong Kong and Singapore alread have automated gates on arrival at immigration.  These will be expanded to passport holders of other nations well before the airport reaches 150 million passengers a year.