U.S. CDC reports 928,619 coronavirus cases, 52,459 deaths

webfact

U.S. CDC reports 928,619 coronavirus cases, 52,459 deaths

2020-04-26T221838Z_1_LYNXNPEG3P0HC_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-USA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A cyclist rides past a ?Stay Home? sign in Huntington City Beach during the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Huntington Beach, California, U.S., April 25, 2020. REUTERS/Kyle Grillot

(Reuters) - The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Sunday reported 928,619 cases of new coronavirus, an increase of 32,853 cases from its previous count, and said the number of deaths had risen by 2,020 to 52,459.

The CDC reported its tally of cases of the respiratory illness known as COVID-19, caused by a new coronavirus, as of 4 pm ET on April 25, compared with its count a day earlier. (https://bit.ly/2IVY1JT)

The CDC figures do not necessarily reflect cases reported by individual states. The tally reported over the weekend is preliminary and will be updated on Monday.

(Reporting by Rama Venkat in Bengaluru; Editing by Daniel Wallis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-27

10 minutes ago, samran said:

It the variant of the same argument - that more people usually die from smoking, obesity related causes etc, so why are we shutting this down.

Its a pretty simple answer to that - one my teenage daughter got straight off the bat - none of those things are highly contagious. None of them threaten to instantly overwhelm our medical system. You can forget about your 'freedom' when when one of the pillars of any society and economy - peoples health - can't be looked after.

I do find it rather ironic though, that the so called rugged individualists - who by definition don't believe in society - are banging on about how much they worry about other people. Down right lefty liberal if you ask me!

influenza is also contagious, quite often overwhelms our medical system and is considered a pandemic by those in the medical field. But most people don’t take any notice of it and we certainly don’t shut down the economy every year, create a massive amount of debt and unemployment. We shall see how this plays out. Forecasting how many people are going to die is not an exact science and quite often is massively wrong ( look at Neil Ferguson Imperial College London track record ). Quite a few experts are saying this is just another respiratory virus and will burn out within 2 months. 

Edited by TeaMonkey
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TeaMonkey said:

influenza is also contagious, quite often overwhelms our medical system and is considered a pandemic by those in the medical field. But most people don’t take any notice of it and we certainly don’t shut down the economy every year, create a massive amount of debt and unemployment. We shall see how this plays out. Forecasting how many people are going to die is not an exact science and quite often is massively wrong ( look at Neil Ferguson Imperial College London track record ). Quite a few experts are saying this is just another respiratory virus and will burn out within 2 months. 

The only support I see against this argument is "it's not the flu" but apart from that I see no valid points being raised.You sometimes get "it's more deadly than flu" but then we had the Spanish flu and other pandemics and although they have included corona viruses as part of the flu season it's seems this time it's different.As time passes I think we will begin to realise "Beware the cure" may have some validity.

what if America just stopped testing.  Said no more confirmed cases.  no more covid deaths.  and then just had the media show pictures of cute cats.

Sheep test:   You don't think about other countries who are NOT in the news, so you can only comment on America, UK, etc.....  

Sheep test:  You cannot think for yourself and ask questions about other countries, since the media doesn't cover them

Sheep test:  You can only blame who the media tells you to blame

Sheep test:  Your thoughts about history were all wrong, but you were only listening to others and reading books by people who you were told to read.  

Sheep test:  Africa?  Ahhh..... well, ah..... wait, the news is on Trump!!  my mind must be on Trump!!!  

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

The only support I see against this argument is "it's not the flu" but apart from that I see no valid points being raised.

- human life is more important than money 

Thankfully most people understand these three top reasons. 

Enlightened governments both conservative or not globally have gone out of their way to the ensure people can stay home without worrying about money for the duration of this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, stevenl said:

That was on January 21. At the end of that month it was declared a global threat, and fauci had changed his tune. But the administration did nothing for the whole of February and a big part of march.

Come on !

Feb 29, Dr. Fauci on coronavirus fears:" No need to change lifestyle yet"

https://www.today.com/video/dr-fauci-on-coronavirus-fears-no-need-to-change-lifestyle-yet-79684677616

No sense in debating you ! You have a one track mind! Sink Trump!

4 minutes ago, samran said:

Thankfully most people understand these three top reasons. 

Enlightened governments both conservative or not globally have gone out of their way to the ensure people can stay home without worrying about money for the duration of this. 

Are the 400,000 that die each more important than money?No they are not.Why not?If most people understand your top three reasons why don't they apply the same understanding to those 400,000 flu victims each and every year.4 million over the last ten years!What will be the state of the world these people will emerge from their homes into What jobs?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Are the 400,000 that die each more important than money?No they are not.Why not?If most people understand your top three reasons why don't they apply the same understanding to those 400,000 flu victims each and every year.4 million over the last ten years!What will be the state of the world these people will emerge from their homes into What jobs?

Your sudden concern for human life is heartwarming.

In the rest of the developed world, universal health care, free flu shots for the most vulnerable sections of society puts paid to your argument. 

But discussing the merits of universal health care is starting to be waaaay off topic, so I shall stop. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, samran said:

It the variant of the same argument - that more people usually die from smoking, obesity related causes etc, so why are we shutting this down.

Its a pretty simple answer to that - one my teenage daughter got straight off the bat - none of those things are highly contagious. None of them threaten to instantly overwhelm our medical system. You can forget about your 'freedom' when when one of the pillars of any society and economy - peoples health - can't be looked after.

I do find it rather ironic though, that the so called rugged individualists - who by definition don't believe in society - are banging on about how much they worry about other people. Down right lefty liberal if you ask me!

I bet you have brainwashed your teenage daughter, even if you do not realize it. 

Let your daughter know Sweden is open, and their medical system is not overwhelmed. Let us know what she thinks about that. 

Edited by sucit