Gyms - Any Condo Or Hotel Have One Open For Use?

Dart12

I know the main ones all over town are shut down.  Looks like there is no relief soon based on Bangkokpost.  

Anybody know of ANY open.  

I'm so desperate I'm willing to pay to use a home gym if someone has some equipment.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 11:39 AM, Dart12 said:

I know the main ones all over town are shut down.  Looks like there is no relief soon based on Bangkokpost.  

Anybody know of ANY open.  

I'm so desperate I'm willing to pay to use a home gym if someone has some equipment.

Order yourself a suspension trainer:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/trx-suspension-trainer-basic-kit-i163997193-s198872634.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.15.64c17eb19RNA0e&search=1

and some resistance bands:

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?from=input&q=resistance bands&location=local

and in just a few days you'll have all you can handle. If not familiar with how effective these can be, check out the vids on youtube: I think you'll be surprised.

A door pullup bar might be nice, but on Lazada and Shopee the better ones come from China. A cardio machine would of course be major but maybe you have a space where you can walk or jog. Otherwise, if you exercise slowly and intensely w/ the above, breathing continuously during each rep, the cardio effect will be significant.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Order yourself a suspension trainer:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/trx-suspension-trainer-basic-kit-i163997193-s198872634.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.15.64c17eb19RNA0e&search=1

and some resistance bands:

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?from=input&q=resistance bands&location=local

and in just a few days you'll have all you can handle. If not familiar with how effective these can be, check out the vids on youtube: I think you'll be surprised.

A door pullup bar might be nice, but on Lazada and Shopee the better ones come from China. A cardio machine would of course be major but maybe you have a space where you can walk or jog. Otherwise, if you exercise slowly and intensely w/ the above, breathing continuously during each rep, the cardio effect will be significant.

I ordered resistance bands and a door chin up bar.  The bar is great.

The bands were absolute garbage.  Not saying bands are garbage...just that these ones were. only thing useful from it was the handles that came with them.
Going to order another set and pray they aren't the same brand.

unless, you have that suspension trainer?  any real feedback on it if so?

• Like 1

These are what you want buddy!! 

I got a pull up bar welded by a local guy and in conjunction with these it can be really effective phys

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifeline-LLJGXT-PARENT-Jungle-Gym-XT/dp/B06X1BQXB2

look like a reasonable copy:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/QYWJ-Adjustable-Suspension-Bodyweight-Resistance/dp/B086GP929J/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3HV1ROYGF3FLM&dchild=1&keywords=trx+suspension+trainer+system&qid=1588333742&sprefix=trx+suspension+trainer+system%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-8

the TRX trainer in the lazada advert are very well regarded but I never really got on with them as both straps are interconnected and much prefer 2 separate straps like the jungle gym plus the hand/foot grips are a bit more robust

lots of vids on both

Edited by mark131v
  • Like 2

Good thing the lockdown affords more time to consider this stuff!

Well, I’ve had several types of TRX over the years and I found all of them very useful. I started off with a DIY, easy to make with rope, a couple of PVC sections for handles (covered mine with handlebar foam), and a few carabiners. Later I bought a light one for travel, still have that for when I'm on the road.

Then I bought another heavier duty model, a copy about the same quality as above, with two straps. No problems. Two straps may be somewhat better, but with one strap the length of each strap doesn’t have to be adjusted as precisely 'cause you can adjust it easily on the fly. The two strap models must be imported, however, and figured you're in a hurry. At the gym I use their standard genuine TRX for some things.

Now at home I’m relying on the two-strap TRX copy, resistance bands, yoga bands, and a couple of ancient dumbbells. I have two heavy anchored eyebolts up in a concrete beam for the TRX. For lat work I just put the TRX stirrups in carabiners in the eyebolts and grasp the handles for neutral grip pullups—better for shoulders anyway. If your pullup bar doesn’t offer this variation, you can add a couple of straps with handles, like these.

Such handles can also be used with loop resistance bands.

So after using a suspension trainer and bands in combo w/ a treadmill for cardio, I haven’t the slightest doubt they can enable you to get fit, stay fit, and look fit (add dieting). Think gymnasts—they’re mostly using body weight.

Gratuitous advice: To get the most bang/effort spent out of any form of resistance training, I’ve found the concept of Time Under Load (TUL) most useful. Super slow increases the intensity without the need for very heavy weights OR a lot of sets and reps. Eventually, unless you’re one of the invulnerable, all that weight and all those reps, though more fun (using momentum, heh) will catch up with you and start causing joint problems. Injuries reported daily on the “bodybuilding” forums are legion. IMO, they aren’t worth it for the long haul—safety first, I say.

Great proponent of TUL, old fitness guru who’s lived the life, illustrates w/ suspension trainer here:

https://youtu.be/sHtN45Iu--Y?t=385

(Needs more emphasis on continuous breathing, could be slower, too.) Steve’s also big on isometrics, and I’m also incorporating more of that, with longer pauses at peak contraction. Try it with single leg squats with your TRX and you’ll see how intense a squat can really be. If that don’t get to your glutes, nothing will.

And I do the same w/ resistance bands. Strictly speaking they aren’t necessary but I find them convenient for some things, like adductors/abductors, shoulder press, and rotator cuff work.

Ton of vids on the TRX on youtube as you know. I also might call your attention to these guys on the use of bands:

Comparing bands vs free weights.

A notable bands enthusiast, but likes lots of fast reps

Bands with isometrics

I like the gym for various reasons I’ve explained elsewhere, but I’m sure I can stay just as fit, safely, at home without spending much money!

Edited by BigStar

1 hour ago, Dart12 said:

image.png.74abf24118f47082004877a6bdabcc44.png

Much harder to enjoy maintaining this with bodyweight.  well, ok.  don't have these abs LOL

image.png

Dream on; how old are you, anyway? Typically a young man's dream arising from a young man's insecurities. I note our premier advocate of traditional weightlifting--heavy weights, infinite reps & sets, the whole bit--on the forum has of course . . . wait for it . . . shoulder problems. Oh, I'll just switch to dumbbells. ????

You should be so lucky as to look as good any fit swimmer or gymnast. Suppose you looked like Charles "Dynamic Tension" Atlas. Good 'nuff?

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Dream on; how old are you, anyway? Typically a young man's dream arising from a young man's insecurities. 

You should be so lucky as to look as good any fit swimmer or gymnast. 

I don't know how to respond to a comment that has so much vitriol in it.

On 5/3/2020 at 2:18 PM, Dart12 said:

I don't know how to respond to a comment that has so much vitriol in it.

Sorry if you were joking around and I took you too seriously. Actually I was echoing what Steve Maxwell says somewhere. Anyway, I've said too much. I don't much care what anyone does, just relating what it took some time for me to learn, after working out for decades.

The topic of home gyms comes up now and then, so my post can serve as a reference for the interested. However, no mind is ever changed here about anything, so no real point to that either except for my own entertainment and to retain a copy to send in an email if the topic comes up among acquaintances.

Good luck & stay fit! Quote for the day from Tiger Woods on repetitive motion injury:

Tiger Woods’ biggest regret isn’t quite what you’d expect.

Asked by a fan on Golf TV what he would tell his younger self, the five-time Masters winner recently responded, “Not to run so much.”

“Running over 30 miles a week for probably my first five, six years on Tour pretty much destroyed my body and my knees,” the 44-year-old Woods said.

--https://nypost.com/2020/05/03/tiger-woods-reveals-what-really-destroyed-his-body/