Covid-19 Alcohol Ban.

Brewster67

I am sure many of you have already heard the rumour widely circulating that alcohol will be back on sale after midnight for the next 2 days only to give people the chance to stock up and then will be banned from sale again for the rest of the month.

But I am yet to see ANY actual official announcement. 

Even our local shop are going to conform to this 2 day rule, that is what they have been telling their customers.

This needs to be clarified by the authorities one way of the other.

Has anyone heard anything more concrete than some random facebook post doing the rounds?

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

That 2 day rumour has been subsequently binned. Most likely another straight month ban

But surely with less than 12 hour until the ban expires, they would have made an announcement before now, not right at the last minute.

In fact all other measures have had at least two days notice before coming into effect.

This is a very important detail because of all the retail outlets and also the brewing and distilling industries have to set out their businesses to meet the conditions, so messing around at the very last moment is not only incredibly stupid and inconvenient for all involved, it is potentially damaging. It also flies in the face of how they usually inform us about something, which leads me to believe there is more like a 90% chance this was all a hoax and the ban will be lifted tonight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brewster67 said:

We all know that, but an expiring rule isn't under a curfew is it?

The point is there is no point in saying alcohol is for sale from midnight onwards if one can't even go out to buy it at that time! They should say it's for sale at 11am the following day. And yes, I'm being pedantic.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You are aware of the order making all current orders effective until changed last night?  There is no expiration date anymore.

That is on national legislation relating to the Covid-19 pandemic procedures, the alcohol ban is actually optional provincial legislation.

Massive difference.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Brewster67 said:

That is on national legislation relating to the Covid-19 pandemic procedures, the alcohol ban is actually optional provincial legislation.

Massive difference.

I like your optimism, but given there hasn't been one positive announcement from any governor, it is hard to believe than ban will end. The 15th I could live with, but not the whole frigggin month.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I like your optimism, but given there hasn't been one positive announcement from any governor, it is hard to believe than ban will end. The 15th I could live with, but not the whole frigggin month.

True, but in my province they gave about 5 day's notice before bringing the ban into effect in the first place. So I have no reason to suspect any extension to it wouldn't also be given to the same notice. Or at least a day or two.

the governors here are pretty good like that.

1 minute ago, TheDark said:

It's been just announced that prohibition will continue as it was until further notice. Probably at least until end of May.

There is going to be a lot of very confused livers in Thailand wondering if they have been sacked. 

Where was this announced?... link please if you have it.

6 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:
10 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

Massive difference.

Sadly, a few provinces have announced and they've all extended the ban either through part of May or the entire month.  No one has offered a 2-day reprieve.  I'm hoping the Chiang Mai Gov will at least give us that.

30 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

But surely with less than 12 hour until the ban expires, they would have made an announcement before now, not right at the last minute.

In fact all other measures have had at least two days notice before coming into effect.

This is a very important detail because of all the retail outlets and also the brewing and distilling industries have to set out their businesses to meet the conditions, so messing around at the very last moment is not only incredibly stupid and inconvenient for all involved, it is potentially damaging. It also flies in the face of how they usually inform us about something, which leads me to believe there is more like a 90% chance this was all a hoax and the ban will be lifted tonight.

i think they just couldn't agree.

This just announced, no mention of alcohol but up to Chonburi governor

Screenshot_20200430-130148.png

Is this Thai or politician logic.  What does banning alcohol sales have to do with coronavirus.  If you can go to a store to buy groceries you can certainly add a case of beer without a further risk of contamination.  If it is that people will go out with alcohol, then pass an ordinance with a heavy fine for drinking in public.  Why ban drinking a beer inside someones home because you fear someone will walk out and socialize with others?  They could also allow the sale of alcohol and if it represented a problem then ban it.  They are banning it "presuming" some problem not based on having a problem. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheDark said:

Check Twitter. Loads of reliable sources reporting it. 

But this is subject to provincial rules only, there is no actual national ban on alcohol, so the province name must really be included with any update. this is NOT blanket legislation and subject to no national announcements. 

I can't buy a drink here, (Korat) but I can drive an hour up the road and buy as much as I like perfectly legally.

There are 76 provinces in thailand, i am only aware of 16 that actually have alcohol bans in place.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Brewster67 said:

But this is subject to provincial rules only, there is no actual national ban on alcohol, so the province name must really be included with any update. this is NOT blanket legislation and subject to no national announcements. 

I can't buy a drink here, (Korat) but I can drive an hour up the road and buy as much as I like perfectly legally.

There are 76 provinces in thailand, i am only aware of 16 that actually have alcohol bans in place.

The alcohol ban wasn't even part of the original decree.  It was added mostly because of Songkran and was 10-20 Apr.  They then extended it to 30 Apr.  Makes no sense to continue the ban now.

• Like 1