Trump threatens new tariffs on China as U.S. mulls retaliatory action over virus

webfact

4 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Teflon Trump - I rest my case your honour.

Odd... I never even mentioned Trump. I mentioned a logical, rational principle. Why are you so opposed to a country controlling immigration?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

There are good reasons for probing the virus which will be immensely helpful for medical science and future prevention of dangerous infectious pathogens. However China would not cooperate and allowing investigation under a cloud of threats by Trump. China will not bow to threats which make the government looks weak and the citizens will never support their government to cave in under threats. No country in the world would quivered and give up their sovereignty under unfounded accusation and threats. Trump is doing this for political reasons. The world better off cooperating as the pandemic is far from over. If the WHO with the consent of members want to investigate, China may willing to allow after the pandemic is over with a global sharing of vaccine. Trump’s Innuendo and threats for his domestic audience is not helpful. 

Yes, because if only Trump were nicer to China, they'd support an open investigation of their role in spreading the virus.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Yes, because if only Trump were nicer to China, they'd support an open investigation of their role in spreading the virus.

He is incapable of being nice to anyone but himself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Tells things as they are? He has no bloody idea how things are! Immigration? The USA is a country of immigrants - including Trump's wife and her parents! Manifestly hypocritical - no doubt you have a different take on that, Trump supporters always do.

As I said earlier - it doesn't seem to matter what Teflon Trump does, his supporters stay with him.  I'd like to think that's just misguided loyalty but I don't think it is in this case - perhaps it shows just how many more biggotted, nationalist lunatics exist in the USA?

I could probably list hundreds of matters where he has definitely not told things as they are - but would you listen?  Not a hope - and that's the problem.

Let me guess, you also think climate change is a hoax?

Trump - 'The concept of Global Warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non competitive'.

He's simply obsessed with China! If he attacked China and stuck to factual things like their human rights record or copyright issues, he might get more support worldwide.

I think you'll find that Trump is more concerned with Latin American criminal elements among immigrants than he is about law abiding folk who are prepared to work for a living. They should be deported immediately the same as those aliens who commit crimes in Thailand.

She may be an immigrant but what crimes has Mrs Trump committed?

Many agree with these sentiments, don't you?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

He is incapable of being nice to anyone but himself. 

So he hasn't been nice to Kim Jong Un, millionaires, billionaires and others? Silly logic. But that completely misses the point. China won't allow an open investigation into how and why they spread the virus, regardless of whether Trump were nicer or not. If that is true, someone nicer will make it happen, right? Didn't think so.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

The issue is mostly ILLEGAL immigration. Any country can and should control immigration. For some reason, when the US does it, people are up in arms.

And the UK. It's practically considered subversive to be an Englishman in parts of the UK these days. Especially in London.

At least Trump stands up for his people as the Chinese are finding out.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

So he hasn't been nice to Kim Jong Un, millionaires, billionaires and others? Silly logic. But that completely misses the point. China won't allow an open investigation into how and why they spread the virus, regardless of whether Trump were nicer or not. If that is true, someone nicer will make it happen, right? Didn't think so.

You should know better that Trump is only nice to anyone who praise him or he can extract benefits for himself. In any case, he need to play this political game with China to divert from his appalling failing management of the pandemic. I know you smart enough to realize this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric Loh said:

You should know better that Trump is only nice to anyone who praise him or he can extract benefits for himself. In any case, he need to play this political game with China to divert from his appalling failing management of the pandemic. I know you smart enough to realize this. 

OK, so you've abandoned your claim that Trump is nice only to himself. Good. And yes, any president is a politician. And it's expected that when another country spreads a deadly virus (again), the leaders affected countries should demand to find out why and assess damages incurred. That's precisely the kind of politics people elect leaders to engage in.

On 4/30/2020 at 8:41 PM, Tug said:

Yeaaaa now we can pay more for everything wreck a few more farmers all because trump needs a distraction just pathetic this is a time when the planet should be pulling together not political squabbling 

I hope you take your own advice. Because nasty passive aggressive political squabbling seems to be about 99% of your posts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Why do you think Trump is a racist?

Go back and look at what he's said and done over the last 4 years.  I'm not going to research it for you because it wouldn't make a jot of difference to your thinking. I call him Teflon Trump for a good reason - and I've mentioned it several times. If Trump told you black was white, you'd believe it. It doesn't matter what he does - he stays in power.

The only reason the Republican party still support him is because of his position in the polls - that might change if he falls any lower as the election looms.

The point here is that Trump threatening new tariffs on China is not at all helpful to the current situation. Whatever the reason for the Corona Virus outbreak, we are unlikely to ever get to the truth. I find it incredulous that China would cause this crisis deliberately.

Its not difficult to see what Trump's real agenda is.

30 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

The point here is that Trump threatening new tariffs on China is not at all helpful to the current situation. Whatever the reason for the Corona Virus outbreak, we are unlikely to ever get to the truth. I find it incredulous that China would cause this crisis deliberately.

We need to split from reliance on China as quickly as possible. Give industry incentive to create jobs here. This crisis has shed real light on how pathetic America had become. Heard there are many people out of work right now that need jobs.  

If you aren't going to get your job back as a waitress time to go do some time making penicillin. People keep saying that the Chinese don't pay the tariffs. That's not even really the point. You put tariffs on to be able to compete. Much like you give subsidies to farmers to compete.  The consumer or taxpayer pays either way. Tariffs to a large extent are what you use to offset subsidies the Chinese or even a company like Airbus get that give an advantage. In addition to that they help offset unfair labor practices or are supposed to.

Americans tend to want higher wages but expect lower prices. It doesn't take a genius to realize this formula doesn't work. A logical way to do tariffs would be calculate each item based upon paying a certain wage in the USA. If it costs 5 cents to make a light bulb you can not sell light bulbs for less than that.

So if the Chinese want to sell 1 cent light bulbs in the USA the tariff would be 4 cents each. The point of tariffs is that hopefully one day people wouldn't buy Chinese products and instead of paying tariffs would simply pay their own neighbors a fare wage to make the item. 

I am not an economist however we need some sort of plan that we simply no longer need the Chinese in the long run. We seem to be in a perpetual state of undeclared war with them right now.

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I agree, Trump's agenda is clear- getting tough on China. He's been walking the talk for several years now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

The appalling fail was the CCP's cover up of what was happening and possibly the years of dangerous research in the Wuhan lab that they were repeatedly warned about including in 2018 and 2019.

Talk about blame game, Xi trumps Trump in spades.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

It is mind numbingly ignorant when people claim Trump has gained anything for himself out of this. It just one bizarre claim after another in that regard. 

The Chinese were starting to lose leverage in the trade war. So now this. America should just as much as possible make China dead to us even if in the short term it is painful. 

The Saudis are also on the attack and we need very drastic and serious changes now. However I have seen the reaction to the virus and the American spirit to fight. We convert car factories into medical production facilities almost overnight. 

We need to keep American money at home and do out own thing and decouple. We have the best tech in the world and can be strong in space. I would take a huge reduction in what I make to just tell these %&%&* to go %%&* themselves.

This is going to be a pivotal moment and we can't sit here and continue to be screwed without a condom or lube.

All hands on deck WW2 style and America can rise to any challenge presented. Lots of people out of work, that can be fixed. 

Yes i can see all that manufacturing making it's way from China across the Pacific and back to America as we speak.  And yes Trump will rally the troops, with a speech that will rival Churchill's.  And yes America does have all the best tech in the world currently being transferred to Israel and China but the Great Trump just dropped a tarrif bomb and threw a sanction grenade that will surely Make America Great Again.

4 minutes ago, Heppinger said:

Yes i can see all that manufacturing making it's way from China across the Pacific and back to America as we speak.  And yes Trump will rally the troops, with a speech that will rival Churchill's.  And yes America does have all the best tech in the world currently being transferred to Israel and China but the Great Trump just dropped a tarrif bomb and threw a sanction grenade that will surely Make America Great Again.

Come on man China is our friend. We are going to need a workforce of the type during the depression was made and that was the CCC. You were a waitress and now you make semiconductors. 

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heppinger said:

"our" needs defining 

Ask Biden. They aren't trying to eat our lunch. America isn't the only country p!ssed off with them right now. Areyousaying we should just stay the course with China with how things stand? I hear your vapid criticism yet I don't hear solutions from you.

What would you do? Most people like you are unable to even lay out a coherent plan. Even a simple one.

Just now, Cryingdick said:

Ask Biden. They aren't trying to eat our lunch. America isn't the only country p!ssed off with them right now. Areyousaying we should just stay the course with China with how things stand? I hear your vapid criticism yet I don't hear solutions from you.

What would you do? Most people like you are unable to even lay out a coherent plan. Even a simple one.

You think in terms of nations and peoples. There are no nations; there are no peoples. There are no Russians. There are no Arabs. There is no third world. There is no west. There is only one holistic system of systems; one vast interwoven, interacting, multivariate multinational dominion of dollars. Petrodollars, electrodollars, reichmarks, rubles, rin, pounds and shekels. It is the international system of currency that determines the totality of life on this planet. That is the natural order of things today. That is the atomic, subatomic and galactic structure of things today. It is the international system of currency that determines the totality of life on this planet. That is the natural order of things! Am I getting through to you? You get up on your little twenty-one inch screen and howl about America and Democracy. There is no America. There is no democracy. There is only IBM and ITT and AT &T and Dupont, Dow, Union Carbide and Exxon. Those are the nations of the world today. What do you think the Russians talk about in their councils of state? Karl Marx? They pull out their linear programming charts, statistical decision theories, and minimax solutions and compute the price-cost probabilities of their transactions and investments just like we do. We no longer live in a world of nations and ideologies. The world is a college of corporations inexorably determined by the immutable by-laws of business. The world is a business! It has been since man crawled out of the slime. And our children will live to see that perfect world in which there is no war or famine, oppression or brutality. One vast and ecumenical holding company for whom all men will work to serve a common profit and in which all men will own a share of stock, all necessities provided, all anxieties tranquilized, all boredom amused.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Heppinger said:

You think in terms of nations and peoples. There are no nations; there are no peoples. There are no Russians. There are no Arabs. There is no third world. There is no west. There is only one holistic system of systems; one vast interwoven, interacting, multivariate multinational dominion of dollars. Petrodollars, electrodollars, reichmarks, rubles, rin, pounds and shekels. It is the international system of currency that determines the totality of life on this planet. That is the natural order of things today. That is the atomic, subatomic and galactic structure of things today. It is the international system of currency that determines the totality of life on this planet. That is the natural order of things! Am I getting through to you? You get up on your little twenty-one inch screen and howl about America and Democracy. There is no America. There is no democracy. There is only IBM and ITT and AT &T and Dupont, Dow, Union Carbide and Exxon. Those are the nations of the world today. What do you think the Russians talk about in their councils of state? Karl Marx? They pull out their linear programming charts, statistical decision theories, and minimax solutions and compute the price-cost probabilities of their transactions and investments just like we do. We no longer live in a world of nations and ideologies. The world is a college of corporations inexorably determined by the immutable by-laws of business. The world is a business! It has been since man crawled out of the slime. And our children will live to see that perfect world in which there is no war or famine, oppression or brutality. One vast and ecumenical holding company for whom all men will work to serve a common profit and in which all men will own a share of stock, all necessities provided, all anxieties tranquilized, all boredom amused.

Wow, okay. How can I help you? If all men own a share of stocks will all shares be of equal value? Will bright people exist that can rig the system?

Edited by Cryingdick