Massage "skills"

Bananaman

They're ten-a-penny; tourists doing Thai massage courses here in Chiang Mai. What I wonder is, how many go back to their own countries and make a successful living out of it. Granted plenty do it just to kill time but they're must be a few who take it seriously. Anybody know of any character(s) who've made good use of their Thai massage "skills", set up their own massage businesses etc?

They're ten-a-penny; tourists doing Thai massage courses here in Chiang Mai. What I wonder is, how many go back to their own countries and make a successful living out of it. Granted plenty do it just to kill time but they're must be a few who take it seriously. Anybody know of any character(s) who've made good use of their Thai massage "skills", set up their own massage businesses etc?

Lots of therapists who already have practices in western countries come to Thailand to learn Thai Massage to add to their skill set.

My observation is that its a fairly limited market in the states for just Thai massage. I have worked in spa's and resorts in colorado and california and not many people request it.

Also in most states you need to go to a school that has a balanced curriculum to get a certification/license. None of the Thai schools can help you get certified in the states or canada. TMC school in Chiang Mai does offer NCTMB accredited hours which count toward your total hours for National Exam. Their program by itself how ever is not enough to get certified or licensed..

I think the way you treat it is.

Take some Thai classes and see if you like the work and then go home and practice on your friends or try to work under the radar. If you really like it then go to an accredited school and get your certification and or license. Usually a minimum of 500 hours.

Or

Get certified or licensed in a western country and work for a while then go to Thailand for vacation and take advantage of cheaper education costs for Thai massage component.

Just keep in mind as far as making it your living that the average therapist only lasts about 2 to 3 years before moving on to another profession. The reasons most people give up on therapy for a profession is that they get physical injuries from doing a lot of massage and its hard to make a living. I know lots of therapists who just get into debt and finally have to get a real job. Just too many therapists competing for too small of a pie.