Applied For O-a Received And O?

I am American. I applied at NY Consulate for Non Immigration Visa. I had all paper work and backup supporting papers for O-A retirement visa. When I picked up Visa yesterday I had received an O Visa for 1 year multiple entry. Also, in the remarks section it stated:"Extension of stay not permitted". Does this mean I must return to the US in a year and reapply for an O-A again? Is there a problem? Can I get it fixed in Bangkok?

Take a letter from your bank in Thailand evidencing your account having 800,000 baht credit, and your passbook into Immigration and apply for a one year extension. You need a very simple medical certificate in Thailand. No police clearance needed. Quite simple

When you land in Thailand, Immigration will place an entry permit stamp into your passport. It will have an expiration date - most likely 90 days after date of issue. Technically, you are supposed to apply for extension only when you are within 30 days of that expiration date.

But - I understand that for retirement-based entry permits, they tend to be very cooperative - provided that you fully qualify. So - you can probably go down at any point.

In my experience, the two situations in which Immigration is the most cooperative (and the only situations where they issue long-term extensions on the spot) are:'

1) Issuing retirement visas to qualifying applicants

2) Issuing automatic one-year extensions to non-immigrant entry permits in "other country" passport, for Thai dual citizens who entered on foreign passport.

Good luck!

Indo-Siam