Buying Prescription Medications here in Thailand

4MyEgo

I usually go back to my own country every year to get my prescription drugs which are government subsidised (cheap) and also see my GP and Cardiologist while there for an annual check up.

Now with Covid-19 and me having my pre-existing condition, (stent) I think it won't be safe for me to fly back to get my meds for a while, and my annual check while have to wait for now, so my questions are:

1) Can I buy my meds here without any doctors prescription

2) Can I buy them online or do I have to go into get them

I know they are going to be expensive because as mentioned I usually get them back in my homeland which are government subsidised, that said, if the cost outweighs the risk, so be it.

I know here on TVF we have a few chaps who have same or similar conditions and would be buying here in Thailand, so if anyone knows of any places that I can get them, that would be great, on the cheap even better.

My medications are as follows:

Irbesartan 150mg or 300mg, the latter I can cut in half (Blood pressure)

Artorvastatin 40mg or 80mg again the latter I can can cut in half (Cholesterol)

Ezetimibe 10mg (Cholesterol)

Thank you in advance for your input/advice.

I am located in Isaan, the nearest big city for me is Udon Thani, but don't mind travelling a couple of hours if need be, depending on prices as I usually buy in bulk for 12 months at a time.

Edited by 4MyEgo

Go to a public hospital and see a doctor with your meds and they will supply them at very reasonable prices.  My medications in Australia were costing me $150 a year and the government several thousand dollars.  The same medicines (same brand in the case of the expensive ones) costs me about 5000 baht for 4 months supply with seeing a doctor and getting a full checkup.  The same does not apply to private hospitals.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 2

@4MyEgo

I am in same boat, though I was lucky to get 6 months worth back In March before the <deleted> hot the fan.

I got this reply on another forum, have yet to try as waited for the blockades to be lifted here in Patts. 

I use the MIMS website, and at present it is acting up. You need a log in to it, I was fortunate to have registered before they verified you having a medical licence or pharmacy licence (I however am a former paramedic, so I have some knowledge about medications)

Cymbalta - available. Made by Eli Lilly - distributed by Zuellig Pharma. Packages of 28. Does not appear to be a generic, only name brand - Source is MIMS. 

Perindopril Erbumine - sold as Coveram or Coversyl Argenine https://www.drugs.com/international/coversyl-arginine.html (MIMS not working for this one.)

Crestor - shows up in MIMS, so it is sold here. Generic sold as Rosuvastatin GPO and Rosuvastatin Sandoz (Sandoz is the company name)

Suggest that you go to Fascino on Pattaya Nua beside city hall. They will advise if they have these, if they "no hab" ask them to look it up in the computer, as the people you usually deal with there are not pharmacists, but just "assistants" (not sure what training they have). The computer they look things up in is between the two sales counters. As everything over here, they don't want to work too hard for you, as asking them to do their job is "losing face". 

I have had good luck with Fascino on Pattaya Klang, they are very helpful if you are really jovial with them. They bent over backwards for me the other day looking up different medications and finding prices. Another pharmacy I have had good luck with is Guardian Pharmacy across from the Areca Lodge on Soi Diana, and Pharmawell across from Block Bar on Third Road to the north of Soi Chaiyapoon. Pharmawell (their Line ID), is here https://goo.gl/maps/GAujJz85QpLpJvEb8 It is a brand new store front on it. Can't miss it

I have had luck ordering medications online. I used this outfit below. The last time I ordered I did have problems with the credit card processor and never did get my order to go through.

http://canadian-pharmacy-1.com/catalog/Cholesterol_Lowering/Crestor.htm

http://canadian-pharmacy-1.com/catalog/Anxiety/Cymbalta.htm

http://canadian-pharmacy-1.com/catalog/Blood_Pressure/Aceon.htm

I was able to get things delivered without any issue from customs. If you import medications, you are supposed to have an FDA licence.

If I was to order multiple items from them, I would do them in separate orders maybe 2 days apart each so that all things arent sent in one package, which would alert customs for a larger package. 

Hope this all helps. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I am located in Isaan, the nearest big city for me is Udon Thani

Either wait for advice by "forum doctor" @Sheryl

or go to Fascino pharmacy opposite UD Town (near Aek Udon hospital).

I haven't looked up all three medications but none of them sounds like difficult to get.

Fascino:

https://goo.gl/maps/SG3Y1wpX3VMho97fA

• Like 2

I have developed a working relationship with a out of town Pharmacist. She, and he husband, were trained in the UK, at Newcastle University, and operate a pharmacy between two towns about 30km outside Pattaya. I stared using her for off the shelf meds, such as Otravin, around 2 years ago.  She now provides me  and Mrs P with any meds we need that are prescription only, such as Tramadol, Diclofenac, and anti histamines, provided she is happy that they are correct for whatever condition I am reporting. She is sensible and trustworthy and I'm sure, as good as any local doctor for 'run of the mill' conditions. Ask around, but not in the big City pharmacies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Just noticed that you had asked a similar question in 2018.

Some answers there:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1028178-affordable-medication-in-thailand/

Thanks for that, I also believe I am in early stages of having a forgetful memory, i.e. I know most of us forget things, but me, I am good for a day, as the wife knows.

I don't remember this post, but will certainly go into it to refresh my memory, I think back then I was looking to get my meds here because I was worried with the amount I was bringing in every time I went to Oz, e.g. 12-18 months supply worth and I think I read you couldn't bring in more than 30 days supply at a time, and was worried, my wife of course saying I could bring them all in because I had the heart condition.

Now with Covid-19, will have to look at different alternatives as opposed to travelling back to Oz, every 12-24 months, but usually 12-18 months, that and I am still good with supplies for 12 months, but am a forward planner, ask me tomorrow and I would have forgotten what I planned ????

Edited by 4MyEgo

Bestatin and 1 baby aspirin a day works is all I take for last 4 years, Used to bring years supply from Australiaon special script also with pensioner rate was almost free.

Over the counter here under 200bht. 

If you have a heart condition besides the stent see the doctor first.

Healthy lifestyle most important exercise and good eating

My early checkup no A1.

• Thanks 1

Queen Sirikit Heart Center of the North East is located in Khon Kaen and is the main heart Hospital in NE Thailand. I had a quadruple bypass done here a couple of years ago and go back every three months for check up and refill meds.

My normal cost is about 2,000 baht per visit which includes doctor/nurse fee, blood tests and three months of meds (I'm on more than you), this is in their Premium Clinic which is way less crowded than the normal Hospital.

• Thanks 1

You can buy all 3 medications over the counter without a prescription.

Brand names in Thailand are+

Irbesartan:

Aprovel - imported and expensive, I think around 1000  baht for a month supply

Besanta - locally made, much lower cost

Bewel - ditto

Presolin - ditto

Irbesartan GPO - ditto

Atrovastatin

Atorvastatin Sandoz - imported and expensive,

Atorsan - imported and expensive

Lipitor - imported and expensive,

Chlovas - locally made, much lower cost

Atorvin - locally made, much lower cost

Ezetimibe

Ezetimibe Sandoz - imported and expensive

Ezetrol - ditto

Ezentia - imported but from India. lower cost

There are many pharmacies in Udon Thani town:

Forte on the ring road before you get to the junction where you turn left for Nong Bua Lumphu and right to go to Nong Khai https://www.facebook.com/pages/Forte-Udon/1261934860595032?rf=1726878290659766

Somboon Pharmacy, listed in Google Maps

Bunchair Pharmacy, ditto

Fascino as mentioned by other poster. On main road near Aek Udon hospital. In google maps

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

You can buy all 3 medications over the counter without a prescription.

Brand names in Thailand are+

Irbesartan:

Aprovel - imported and expensive, I think around 1000  baht for a month supply

Besanta - locally made, much lower cost

Bewel - ditto

Presolin - ditto

Irbesartan GPO - ditto

Atrovastatin

Atorvastatin Sandoz - imported and expensive,

Atorsan - imported and expensive

Lipitor - imported and expensive,

Chlovas - locally made, much lower cost

Atorvin - locally made, much lower cost

Ezetimibe

Ezetimibe Sandoz - imported and expensive

Ezetrol - ditto

Ezentia - imported but from India. lower cost

There are many pharmacies in Udon Thani town:

Forte on the ring road before you get to the junction where you turn left for Nong Bua Lumphu and right to go to Nong Khai https://www.facebook.com/pages/Forte-Udon/1261934860595032?rf=1726878290659766

Somboon Pharmacy, listed in Google Maps

Bunchair Pharmacy, ditto

Fascino as mentioned by other poster. On main road near Aek Udon hospital. In google maps

Thanks for your replying and detailing everything for me Sheryl.

One question if I may, would the Thai brands, although cheaper, be just as good as the ones I am on at the moment, same applies for the Indian brand one ?