Study identifies highly contagious coronavirus mutation

Scientists in the USA and UK claim in a preliminary report to have identified a coronvirus mutation that is highly transmissible.  The study was posted on Biorxiv on April 30 but not sure if anyone on TV mentioned it yet.

"Scientists have identified a new strain of the coronavirus that has become dominant worldwide and appears to be more contagious than the versions that spread in the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic..."

https://news.yahoo.com/mutant-coronavirus-emerged-even-more-110046843.html

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.29.069054v1

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, jmccarty said:

With our weakened immune systems from isolation, it's only when not if.  

Surely it was to be expected.

On one side we get news of covid to be not so deadly, then some new strain pops up.

If i believed in conspiracies, i would say it's a very good plan to confuse and divide people's opinions :whistling:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

If i believed in conspiracies, i would say it's a very good plan to confuse and divide people's opinions

It's propaganda to support the actions of China during the early months of this pandemic.

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

It's propaganda to support the actions of China during the early months of this pandemic.

Personally i think it's a globalist agenda, not much to do with countries.

Although we can easily predict that we will all end up in an over-controlled society like China.

53 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:
58 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Personally i think it's a globalist agenda, not much to do with countries.

Although we can easily predict that we will all end up in an over-controlled society like China.

You're both wrong...  It's just an election year.

2 hours ago, jmccarty said:

With our weakened immune systems from isolation, it's only when not if.  

As a result of social isolation has your immune system weakened and you are more susceptible to all viruses, bacteria and diseases?

Or, is this a hyperbolic exaggeration and have you assumed that if you had already caught Covid-19 by now you would have immunity from the SARS-CoV-19 virus?  If so, you are made an assumption. I hope it is, but immunity is not yet proven.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

The only significant news in this report is that there is a new strain and any vaccine development need to take it into consideration. it says nothing about how deadly it is.

If it's symptoms are mild , then it is good news that it replaces all other strains. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

The only significant news in this report is that there is a new strain and any vaccine development need to take it into consideration. it says nothing about how deadly it is.

If it's symptoms are mild , then it is good news that it replaces all other strains. 

Use your head, if the strain starting in China and Asia has less deaths and the USA and Britain are having more  cases and the US has almost 1/3 of deaths worldwide obviously the new strain is deadlier.

• Sad 1

Kind of irresponsible journalism. If putting ‘mutant virus’ into your headline isn’t sensationalist scaremongering I’m not sure what is. And these news stories from preprints should do a better job explaining what that is.

Edited by chessman
  • Like 2

New mutation indicates that coronavirus might be weakening, study says

May 5, 2020 | 8:37am | Updated

"A mutation in the novel coronavirus mirrors a change that occurred in the genetically similar SARS virus in 2003 — indicating that the bug might be weakening, researchers announced in a newly published study. "

https://nypost.com/2020/05/05/new-mutation-indicates-that-coronavirus-might-be-weakening-study/

6 hours ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

"Scientists have identified a new strain of the coronavirus that has become dominant worldwide and appears to be more contagious than the versions that spread in the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic..."

I've had that one as well.  Hopefully once the government test for those that've had C19 then we can all get back to work.  

7 hours ago, Retarded said:

Rumors are picking up more steam.

I just checked the front page the Guardian, no mention of new strains, but Trump is in the top 2 articles.

On the Italian equivalent, scandals after scandals, including the well known, but soon to be forgotten Mr. Ferguson, and the cherry on the cake, 376 mafia bosses put out of jail, because of the covid.

But, let's not worry, some of the news could be fake news.

The mind boggles, some bloggers have already nicknamed covid a "yo-yo virus". ( sarcasm off )

There is just a little space for a cautious optimism though, there are apparently a few doctors, on other media, who say that it will be over soon, and the cure for serious cases is available and affordable.

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

As a result of social isolation has your immune system weakened and you are more susceptible to all viruses, bacteria and diseases?

Or, is this a hyperbolic exaggeration and have you assumed that if you had already caught Covid-19 by now you would have immunity from the SARS-CoV-19 virus?  If so, you are made an assumption. I hope it is, but immunity is not yet proven.

I do not believe anyone's immune system could be changed in 2 months of relative isolation.  Our immune systems are a result of ions of evolution.  So, yes exaggeration. Harder and harder to read this virus for what it is.