Re-grouting floor tiles

Inderpland

Not sure on the state of your floor, but rather than re-grout I have found that running a cheap toilet bleach along the joins lifts a lot of the dirt and removes the need of starting from scratch.

14 minutes ago, sungod said:

Not sure on the state of your floor, but rather than re-grout I have found that running a cheap toilet bleach along the joins lifts a lot of the dirt and removes the need of starting from scratch.

Yes, I have done that along all the joints but there are large areas where the grout is partially or even completely gone so no choice but to re-grout.

54 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

I want to start to re-grout the floor tiles in my house and will buy a grout remover. Never done this before so any tips or tricks you could share would be most welcome

Depending on the grout width, and your pocket, you can buy a diamond degrouting tool, or use a diamond blade on an oscillating tool  with a diamond blade. It is possible to use an angle grinder but that gives a high chance of damaging the tiles.

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Depending on the grout width, and your pocket, you can buy a diamond degrouting tool, or use a diamond blade on an oscillating tool  with a diamond blade. It is possible to use an angle grinder but that gives a high chance of damaging the tiles.

100% correct

I had some guy doing this on one of my balcony with the angle grinder and it looks like a mess.

For regrouting my swimmingpool i bought an oscillating tool from Bosch (because of the better quaity Blades) and done it by myself.

Its mutch easier to handle but I also slipped sometimes when I gone to far.

In my opinion the oscillating tool is the only way to go and be carefull and take your time if you want a nice job.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 1:17 PM, sungod said:

I will try your advice in areas where re-grouting isn't necessary. Could you please explain how you go about doing it? 

Edited by Inderpland

4 hours ago, Inderpland said:

I will try your advice in areas where re-grouting isn't necessary. Could you please explain how you go about doing it? 

Use Vixol, splash it on, leave for 10 minutes then wash it off.

16 hours ago, faraday said:

Use Vixol, splash it on, leave for 10 minutes then wash it off.

In a past life I had a tiling business, and Vixol or the likes is the only way to go. Just one big problem it does create lot's of fumes. So please open all windows and door. Also have lots of fans available. Tip NEVER put a bleach of any kind with it or the fumes could kill you and I'm NOT joking.

In a small area put the Vixol White bottle here. Leave for several min: and wash off, the old grout will just lift away. (Might need to do it a couple of times) Wash/clean a few times and let dry well before re-grouting. Do that in small areas.

Once grouted. Clean off with a clean damp sponge, once dry polish. Tip don't let the grout dry to much or the grout will never come off. We used to put sawdust on the tiles just before the grout had fully dried that would polish, (using a dry towel) and it would clean tiles and fully dry grout.

I know what to do so it's easy for me. Just take your time and you should be fine. Oh you will need a grout spreader bit like a trowel with a sponge fitment as it's base. Trial and error on mixing the grout to it's proper consistency. Little at a time at first in this heat, as it'll go off before you can use it all.

Just make sure that you use the correct waterproof grout. White on floors will darken and go grey in a few months, so might as well use a light grey grout to start with.

N/B Never use a grout diamond tip or the likes as it will chip the edges of the tiles once chipped they will never look any good. If you require any other info just ask.

Hope this helps.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1