Defamation if I accuse someone of theft without seeing the theft?

morrobay

Absolutely pointless to accuse someone of something unless you have undeniable proof. As long as there is any leeway or doubt as to who committed the crime, all you can do is suck it up, learn from the experience, and make sure it doesn,t happen again ???? This from someone who did accuse someone, after the hotel let an ex girlfriend into my room alone and unsupervised, and a load of goods went missing ! 100% sure, one would think, but it turned out that after she had left the room the maid,s boyfriend came into the conveniently unlocked window and burgled my room plus several others. Every time I saw her after that, I bought her a few drinks and a thousand apologies ! 

• Like 2

Problem is you have no proof. If you file a report against him in the local police station if he is at all savvy he can counter sue you for defamation and he may not win but you will have your passport taken by the court and it could cost you a fortune to defend yourself in court you will have to sign on every 30 days in the court you will loose whatever visa you have and then the police can take action against you for filing a false police report. Suck it up you got off lightly.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Mavideol said:

surprised they/he didn't take all of it..... surprisingly strange

When I had cash stolen I thought the same.

But my neighbours Thai wife said that this was a very Thai way to do it.

She said that by taking 'some' , there could always be the argument that I had misplaced it , which I actually thought I had , at least initially.

She said  that if I'd looked and the envelope was still there  ( alos , stupidly , in a drawer ) , which it was , then I was much more likely to just leave it without counting the money , thereby leaving a longer period between theft and detection , meaning possibly or  probably many more possible suspects.

Which I see as a good possibility.

A theft of cash in our own countries is well nigh impossible to resolve as well.

Edited by zaZa9
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Nip said:

the police can take action against you for filing a false police report

So if you go to the police and tell them that money has been stolen, as it clearly has been, how is that filing a "false" police report?

Complete rubbish.

1 hour ago, gjoo888 said:

Please explain what "the foreigner-Thai female-local male triangle" is. I've lived here 15 yrs. and have never heard the phrase. Btw, I'm a foreigner with a Thai wife. 

If you went to the the right kind of bar you’d know????

51 minutes ago, Nip said:

Problem is you have no proof. If you file a report against him in the local police station if he is at all savvy he can counter sue you for defamation and he may not win but you will have your passport taken by the court and it could cost you a fortune to defend yourself in court you will have to sign on every 30 days in the court you will loose whatever visa you have and then the police can take action against you for filing a false police report. Suck it up you got off lightly.

The only proof would be fingerprints on the plastic file folder that contained the envelope with the cash. l guess I'll just forget about it, as from what you say above. 

• Like 1

Why are you so completely sure it wasn’t the “girlfriend “? In the weeks it took you to notice the theft how many “girlfriends “ have visited you?  Did the guys know that you’d be gone a full 10 minutes, did you tell them? Seems to me the gf is the most likely thief.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, morrobay said:

He has good denials : the  two helpers and can claim it was my girlfriend, who I know it was not

How can you know she is not ?

For me it's obvious she is the number one suspect

probably picking little at little few money since weeks, thinking you will don't 

count before a long time, untill you discover it, then she can says

it's the workers or somebody else

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gjoo888 said:

Please explain what "the foreigner-Thai female-local male triangle" is. I've lived here 15 yrs. and have never heard the phrase. Btw, I'm a foreigner with a Thai wife. 

I guess if your married and up county you would not be aware of the resentment and anger the lower working class Lao-thai males have against the foreigners in places like the Jomtien-Pattaya-Naklua area where this happened. We have the money and take their women. So by me having my girlfriend there in the morning was kind of rubbing their faces in this fact. So could have been sub motive

• Confused 3

9 minutes ago, morrobay said:

The only proof would be fingerprints on the plastic file folder that contained the envelope with the cash. l guess I'll just forget about it, as from what you say above. 

Just don't tell a single "soul" about your new cash stash plan....????

1 minute ago, morrobay said:

I have been seeing this girl for a long time trust me she is not a thief. No other ladies have been here. Actually I just moved here (Naklua) from Jomtien. There were 3 workers,  they probably had a lookout. 

Sorry my mistake, she’s clearly not that type of girl

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, morrobay said:

I have been seeing this girl for a long time trust me she is not a thief.

But she is not a thief !

she probably planned to reimburse you as soon as possible

when the virus crisis is over and she can start again to have her ''normal''

income is back

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Haha 1

Cash is untraceable. While it may be worthwhile to make a police report without accusing anybody, I doubt it would go anywhere unless the aircon guys had previous history.

If the police determined it was your GF, what would you do then?

• Like 1

The older guy 7 the two workers didn't steal it, they usually won't steal money from a room when in a group ... normally they would act alone. She stole it .....  simple as that.

They are experts at thieving & being complete liars ... 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

you’re not listening, he’s been seeing her for ages and trust him, she’s not that type of girl

But but

as he has writed himself in his first post

''This cash was in case ATM's have problem sometime so I do not monitor it.''

That's exactly what she also thought using this money

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

But but

as he has writed himself in his first post

''This cash was in case ATM's have problem sometime so I do not monitor it.''

That's exactly what she also thought using this money

She’ll put it back just as soon as the bank fixes the ATM

• Haha 1

On 5/6/2020 at 11:39 AM, bkk6060 said:

Actually many smart thieves will not take it all. They want you to think you made a mistake counting and exactly like you said if accused they will say: if it was stolen, why didn't I take it all.

When I leave money in a hotel.safe I wrap it in a plastic bag and mummifie it in 2 inch sellotape cutting it away and resealing every time I take money out.

Edited by kingdong

1 hour ago, morrobay said:

Op, I think it would be good idea to take this as a lesson learned and move on, otherwise you might yourself with bigger problems.  Note the parts highlighted in the following forum rule:

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel. Any such posts will be removed and the poster may face an immediate ban.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

//Closed//

• Like 1