Marriage visa: time to deposit 400,000 baht?

Falconator, I am in the same boat and doing the same as you.  I have had good luck with transferwise.  I setup a "borderless account" with my German address (they will not accept a Thai address for this - I am American).  I use an ACH transfer for free from my American bank to the Transferwise American branch.  Then I transfer this to my Bangkok Bank account.  It takes a few days and the price is very good.  I wanted to have these transfers labeled "International Transfer" in case I go to the monthly income method some day.  I had to call Transferwise in London to make this happen.   They put a code into your account that I believe forces the transfer to your bank and not another Thai bank.  When it is transfers to an intermediary Thai bank you get a "Transfer from Account at Other Bank" message.  I advise doing a small trial transfer to make sure everything works first.    

22 hours ago, Falconator said:

I've never done any TransferWise transfers to Thailand before, so I'm a bit worried that the 400k transfer might not be coded as an international transfer, hence resulting in 400k baht considered unusable by immigration.

Maybe I should do a 3,000 baht test transfer first just to make sure.

When you transfer money to Thailand you have to tell Transferwise the purpose of it from a drop-down menu It's not because Transferwise cares, I'm sure, but a demand from the Thai government.

22 hours ago, Falconator said:

I've never done any TransferWise transfers to Thailand before, so I'm a bit worried that the 400k transfer might not be coded as an international transfer, hence resulting in 400k baht considered unusable by immigration.

Maybe I should do a 3,000 baht test transfer first just to make sure.

When transferring with Transferwise there is a drop down menu where you choose the reason for transfer.. at the bottom of the list is 'funds for long term stay in Thailand'.. you could do a test run but my experience is that my transfers go through without any problems.. but.. it may take a bit longer .. by a day or so.. by using that option.. from other comments I've seen it has to be processed by the bank here but it does come up as an international transfer..   I use Bangkok Bank too... my question is what is the best account to use to park the 400K in.. ?  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

What kind of high yield does $12,500 get you in a US Savings Account these days?

I guess well below 1%

Times of cheap money and energy costs, should all fuel growth in the economy

On Marriage extension done it ten times, never brought from abroad, BUT last time told I had to leave it there for the under consideration period, as well but at final grant this was never checked

The 400 deposit is much easier than the income route

i just last week makeing new 1 year marry visa, monay need be thai bank account before 2 month 1day, and then can go bank take out paper were say have account this money be in 2 month 1 day, and AFTER visa immigratino office, money need be 1 month 10 day in bank. thats all. all need stay in bank mminimum 3 month 10 day. i send this money ewery year my other account to visa account, i use this money one year and new money come when come my old account and i move money my visa account when i need this.

Edited by finnishmen

18 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

Its very hard for some older people who have been married here for 20 years or so. Their pensions generally being poor these days and their unselfish attitude to the Family is costing many dearly.Not much of a reward for as the  Marry Form says To Support Thai Wife in HER House She would not have had without him.

9 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

I have seen the stress many times caused by Visits.My Wife has often tried to calm them prior to the Interrogation some IO give them.Those IOs know how to scare a Farm Girl for some sad reason.

At many offices, immigration think your wife doesn't deserve it, and resent her life/family being improved by being your husband.  They are (fill in the term) who enjoy using their power to induce fear and pain into other's lives for no reason but "because they can."  That's a qualification for getting promoted to the level of processing applications, in those offices - and, evidently, at the District level.

The exception in attitude was at the office in Issan, where the lady seemed somewhat sad that "they" (district sign-off) had told them (local office) they would deny the stamp, if I didn't have proof my income was a state-pension.  The "holier than thou" attitude was not present, in that interaction.

10 hours ago, heist said:

I really can't get my head around why they do this, but I've seen it happen before (and is the reason my wife also dreads dealing with immigration). Anyway, good luck with your next visa application, I hope it goes smoothly for you. 

Will let you know about 15 months after the borders open to Laos of Vietnam, when my next Non-O-ME expires.  I only attempt a 1-yr extension with that frequency.  No point banging my head against a wall too often. 

If that goes away at some point, I'd go out for a Non-B, at which point BOI's immigration counterpart would not block me.  They refuse a work-permit for a marriage non-o holder, though the non-immigration-involved Labor Dept is fine with it.

56 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

When you transfer money to Thailand you have to tell Transferwise the purpose of it from a drop-down menu It's not because Transferwise cares, I'm sure, but a demand from the Thai government.

There was a lot of customer-pressure for this.  It prevents immigration from pushing more farangs to agents, so I don't think they wanted it.

11 hours ago, soohk said:

I was at the immigration department Nonthaburi, I tried to submit my documents to ask for One year Non O visa based on spouse (1st time submission). I have all the documents ready including the 400k baht in a deposit account. The documents checklist requires neighbours ID card and House registration I got it but I was told I need to bring my neighbours along too. I am now stuck at this requirement. Has anyone encounter this, any work around? 

It is a standard requirement. I needed 2 for the first extension one of them was required to have some official standing, we asked the village headman, (it is not a visa) for subsequent extensions only 1 is needed.

There is no work around unless you wast to pay way too much to an agent.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kmoore said:

15 USD a month on your investment is high yield?  Or is there really another reason you do not have the money in Thailand?

Because Amurrica is #1 right? (sarcasm)

And the yield is 1.5 percent. Do the math. Over $150, not $15.

15 hours ago, WhereIsMyRyeBread said:

you can get pretty close to that at Krungsri, Im getting 1.2% or so. It's <deleted> but many are crappier.

I have a Krungsri Mee Tai Dai savings account and 800K BHT sitting in that account for my 12-year old daughter's university expenses. Not sure how much interest I get every year. Unless invested in US stock market, the return from savings account are not worth anything. For 12.5K may be $150 per year. It is better to bring to Thailand in my opinion.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 8:01 PM, bwpage3 said:

What kind of high yield does $12,500 get you in a US Savings Account these days?

US specifically or USD in general?

3.5% for USD @ ABA Cambodia. Not going under unless the Canadian parent fails as well.

Better than anything in Thailand