Trapped in Thailand, and Loving It? Glad You Disregarded Government Warnings to Return Home Immediately? Do you now feel stranded like Robinson Crusoe?

3 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

After several years in Thailand, more than 7, not once has anyone asked me for money.

Quite the opposite, actually: Sometimes I make small gifts to my students

Dude, everyone knows foreign guys that have to work as teachers are completely broke.

That's why they don't ask you for money.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lee b said:

I am happy to be here but my visa date has already gone, and the head immigration office has told me no problem I am ok until july 31 . But I am still worrying like s$#@ I cant just see me getting stamped oût of Thailand when I go with no questions asked or fine etc, maybe ive been here to long, and I dont trust the system.

I will feel like this and will not be relaxed until I am in the air. If I was still in Vietnam where I have lived for a few years, I would never feel this way. 

I, for one, completely empathize with your worry and inability to relax about this very important situation.

What I am worried about is that the US consulate will not resume the issuing of passport renewal for US citizens by July of this year.  I need a new passport in time to do my visa extension sometime end of August, but I need to begin processing the extension by July 15th.  Therefore, I MUST have my renewed passport delivered by this date.......or else!

Wish someone could tell me if passport will resume, and if not, then what to do.  For example, do I send my passport by DHL or FedEx back to the USA?

Who knows, and maybe nobody knows at this point.

So, you are right....

There is too much uncertainty afloat and going around, these days!

18 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

What I am worried about is that the US consulate will not resume the issuing of passport renewal for US citizens by July of this year.  I need a new passport in time to do my visa extension sometime end of August, but I need to begin processing the extension by July 15th.  Therefore, I MUST have my renewed passport delivered by this date.......or else!

Wish someone could tell me if passport will resume, and if not, then what to do.  For example, do I send my passport by DHL or FedEx back to the USA?

This really should be posted as separate topic. I was lucky that I got mine renewed in February before many services were reduced or wait times extended. The US State Department currently states the following on its website:

Renew my Passport

COVID-19 Update: Know Before You Apply For A U.S. Passport

If you are thinking about applying for or renewing a U.S. passport now for international travel, please read the Department of State's current international travel advisory. Because of public health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, we have extremely limited U.S. passport operations.

If you apply or renew now, you will experience significant delays of several months to receive your U.S. passport and the return of your citizenship evidence documents (such as birth certificates or naturalization certificates). Unless you have a life-or-death emergency, please wait until we resume normal operations to apply for or renew your passport.

Learn more on our COVID-19 Update page and our Frequently Asked Questions page.                  

Passport Renewals During the COVID-19 Pandemic

• Unless you have a life-or-death emergency, please wait until we resume normal operations to renew your passport.
Reminders
  • You do not need to renew your passport before it expires unless you are planning to travel internationally.
  • Most countries require that your U.S. passport have at least six months of validity beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not let you board an international flight if this requirement is not met.
  • Though an expired passport cannot be used for international travel, customers eligible to renew their 10-year passport have up to 5 years to renew the passport using Form DS-82 after it expires.
  • After the 10-year passport has been expired for 5 years, you cannot renew it and you must apply in person using Form DS-11 if you want a new passport.
  • You cannot renew your child's passport. All children under age 16 must appear in person with both parents or guardians and apply using Form DS-11.

EDIT, ADDITIONAL:  

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, Passport centers have suspended processing and shipping overseas photo-digitized passport (OPDPs) to all Embassies and Consulates.  As a result, adult passport renewal by mail service has been suspended until further notice.   Please be aware that we will not be able to process any mail-in passport applications at this time.  We do still have the ability to produce an emergency photo digitized passport (EPDP) which is valid for one year.  If you have an emergency request, please e-mail [email protected] (Bangkok) OR [email protected] (Chiang Mai).

I would highly suggest, if you are currently in Thailand, you contact either the US Embassy in Bangkok or the US Consulate in Chiang Mai and inquire about the current process and wait times.

Edited by RichCor
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RichCor said:

This really should be posted as separate topic. I was lucky that I got mine renewed in February before many services were reduced or wait times extended. The US State Department currently states the following on its website:

EDIT, ADDITIONAL:  

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

I would highly suggest, if you are currently in Thailand, you contact either the US Embassy in Bangkok or the US Consulate in Chiang Mai and inquire about the current process and wait times.

Thank you.

Yes, you are most correct...I think that I have no other choice, but I dread contacting them.  It's like playing hide-and-seek, and much more stressful than the game children play.

Absolutely fine with being here. But I'm not a tourist. I have a home , a wife. This is now the longest unbroken period I've spent in Thailand and in my home here. Previously I would have headed off for a few days by the beach in a nice hotel. Now I have a routine and it's fine. Don't feel restless. My only worry really is when the stay amnesty ends, what then as I need a new visa? If I go back to Europe will it be easy? What will it be like there? My wife was coming with me but her visa expires end July, no new ones being issued. Will I, will she be able to return to Thailand easily? ....and so on. Too much time to think on it all!!

On 5/9/2020 at 10:37 PM, connda said:

Yeah, I pity those who came here and got stuck.  Suddenly faced with actually having to learn the culture and enough of the language to function in a country where, now that the mask has slipped off, officials as well as some citizens harbor racist dislike and distrust for all stranded foreigners.  A good foreigner is one who arrives, dumps their money, and quickly leaves.  But when you are suddenly stuck, you find out that the authorities consider you to be sorta like 3 day old unrefrigerated fish. Looks great until it starts to smell and then it needs to be quickly tossed out - but they can't toss you out.  Now you're forced to just subsist until you own country opens up, flights resume, and your can leave.  Until then - Well farang! Don't even think of having fun.  The governors of all the popular tourist locations have dictated that Fun is a prosecutable offence now.  Best to just shelter in your room sight unseen.  Otherwise you scare all the locals because top level health authorities have insinuated that you, "da*m farangs". are probably dirty Covid-19 carriers as well as wearing dirty clothes and never taking showers.  And when the planes start flying again, get on one asap and don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out. 
So yeah, if you don't have a support network in the Thai community or even the expat community - this has got to suck big time.  You've just found out first hand what actually lies behind the "Thai Smile" and "Amazing Thailand" and it isn't compassion for non-Thais.  You are an outsider.  You don't belong.  And now you know!  
So I'm curious.  Now that you've seen just how much love Thai authorities have for you when the chips are down - after you find out that 'foreigner' is synonymous with 'security risk' and both are "bad" in the Thai officialdom - when are you planning your next trip back in order to reward Thailand with your patronage and tourist dollars???  Surely you'll want to come back for another dose of Thai-love when your bank account is full again - mai?

I live, with my Thai wife, amongst Thais and only Thais and, as far as I know, I am the only farang for miles. We run a restaurant that again is only for Thais. I have never had a problem in being accepted and they all talk to me ( and drink with me although I do draw the line at Lao Khao). I have no idea where your views are gained from but it sounds like your one of those "sex tourists" that got burnt by a bar girl. I also doubt you actually live here. Bitter much sweet cheeks???? ????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/10/2020 at 11:17 PM, BritManToo said:

Dude, everyone knows foreign guys that have to work as teachers are completely broke.

That's why they don't ask you for money.

Please don't call me "dude", Dude....

Yes, I agree with you that students coming to Thailand to teach are sometimes penniless, or farthingless.

Yet, the good thing about being in Thailand is that a farthing goes further than than the same farthing in Tokyo.

This is why I harbor no yen to move to Nara, even though Nara is a pretty nice place to live and study, I would imagine.

Besides....

I teach, usually, on a volunteer basis, simply because my passion is studying English, Thai and Chinese, as has been the case for over 40 years.

Being a volunteer does not mean that I am not one of the best teachers I know, probably better, at teaching English and Chinese.

But you are completely correct; volunteers enjoy even less income than young ESL teachers, even though, in my case, I am at least twice as good, and much more patient, and also smarter than 98 percent of the children their semester in Thailand, or the riffraff backpackers, or even many uni profs who have an advanced degree but still cannot teach a foreign language, worth beans in my opinion....

When you're good, you're good, Baby!  And I know I am better than good.

Edited by JohnBarleycorn

On 5/9/2020 at 10:26 AM, JohnBarleycorn said:

What do you think it might be like for tourists to be stranded here in Thailand.  Do you think they feel trapped?  Or, do you think they have quickly adjusted and become enamored with the culture to the extent that they might just never return home, unlike that ungrateful girl, Dorothy?

If I was trapped there I'd be very happy, so long as I had enough money. LOS is no place for a farang to be poor.

Every extra day I had there I be thanking the deity for, as otherwise I be here.

22 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Please don't call me "dude", Dude....

Yes, I agree with you that students coming to Thailand to teach are sometimes penniless, or farthingless.

Yet, the good thing about being in Thailand is that a farthing goes further than than the same farthing in Tokyo.

This is why I harbor no yen to move to Nara, even though Nara is a pretty nice place to live and study, I would imagine.

Besides....

I teach, usually, on a volunteer basis, simply because my passion is studying English, Thai and Chinese, as has been the case for over 40 years.

Being a volunteer does not mean that I am not one of the best teachers I know, probably better, at teaching English and Chinese.

But you are completely correct; volunteers enjoy even less income than young ESL teachers, even though, in my case, I am at least twice as good, and much more patient, and also smarter than 98 percent of the children their semester in Thailand, or the riffraff backpackers, or even many uni profs who have an advanced degree but still cannot teach a foreign language, worth beans in my opinion....

How much is braggadocio paying these days?

9 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

How much is braggadocio paying these days?

Nothing!

I continue teaching for free, because all good things are free, and because.....I know I am better than good.

Teaching for free helps students, and helps me more than it benefits them.

Besides....I am a born teacher; I've got teaching in my blood.

I gotta be me, what else can I be?

What else can I be but what I am?

A genius teacher, that's what I am.

I won't settle for less.

Edited by JohnBarleycorn

16 hours ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

Nothing!

I continue teaching for free, because all good things are free, and because.....I know I am better than good.

Teaching for free helps students, and helps me more than it benefits them.

Besides....I am a born teacher; I've got teaching in my blood.

I gotta be me, what else can I be?

What else can I be but what I am?

A genius teacher, that's what I am.

I won't settle for less.

A Genius in your own mind!

• Like 1

It feels honey to me, but besides the pitfalls of not being a citizen, if they keep tightening the insurance requirements..I would just have too many reasons to be back in the States at age 65, 8 years away.  Vouchers for Medicare would be a game changer..Seems more and more, no place is home for life...unless it is a senior care home in NY.  

On 5/12/2020 at 8:15 PM, JohnBarleycorn said:

Besides....

I teach, usually, on a volunteer basis, simply because my passion is studying English, Thai and Chinese,

Nobody cares ....... have you been taking lessons in being dull as well?

• Haha 1

The Thaiger states: The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand has today announced an extension of their current ban on international travel another month, until at least the end of June, 2020.

Well, I am still loving it.

But, I am too HOT.

I should drink more water.

I would like to see more rain these days.

21 minutes ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 Minutes AFTER I complained about the dearth of precipitation these days...

I has just begun raining cats and dogs!

Thank you, ThaiVisa!

dry thunder here in  Nonthaburi.  Where are you?

On 5/10/2020 at 7:48 PM, JohnBarleycorn said:

Big Nads?

Yes, I AGREE! That's me, and sometimes I find my nads get in the way while walking.

BUT, I am NOT a walking ATM.

After several years in Thailand, more than 7, not once has anyone asked me for money.

Quite the opposite, actually: Sometimes I make small gifts to my students if they don't have headphones or important learning items (expensive dictionary apps), things like that. They are invariably hesitant to accept, and they often refuse, and do without instead.

And so, this stereotype you mention in your comment is completely contrary to my experience of the culture in Thailand.

I think you got this wrong....so solly to say...

I think he's referring to ex-bar-girl rental wives and retired expats, rather than expat teachers and their students, in that stereotype..

On 5/10/2020 at 9:35 PM, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

many confused foreigners who live in thailand fail to understand that without the U.S.

without the west - than there is no thailand. at least not in the good confortable way

you like it.

thailand's economy, same as china's and other asian countries, are export based, mainly

to the U.S. and other western countries.

no export = no money = no thai smile = no more anything you like in thailand.

Hmm.. I think most non-confused people preferred it back in the old days before mass tourism, which was before bulk exports. Source: https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicator/thailand/total-exports

51 minutes ago, JohnBarleycorn said:

I am in the greatest city known to modern Man...

I am referring to Chiang Mai, of course.

I am loving it!

used to be nice..does your partner !ove it too?