Process of Temporary Teaching permit

Is that obtaining a non B externally or can I do the non B internally. Last year was told by immigration in Ubon to get the work permit then go back to get the non b. We got the work permit with the job title English Advisor then went to immigration and they declined the non b visa. Saying job title needs to be teacher. But I didn't have my B.A. then. So went to Savannakhet and got a non O. I now have my B.A. and was expecting to get the work permit with job title teacher then the non b internally. Then the temporary teaching permit. Would this be possible.

To apply for the visa at immigration you need a "Form of employment certification (According to the Department of Employment)".

List of required document for the visa is here. https://division1.immigration.go.th/download/1551323286232.pdf

The teaching permit is a bit of catch 22 since it will not be issued unless you have a non-b visa and it needed to have the work permit issued.

Non-O based on what? If based on marriage and the entry is still valid (or on an extension based on marriage) you can apply for the waiver with copy of marriage certificate. If not, you must apply for a non-B visa outside the country, once you have that apply for the waiver and once you have the waiver apply for the work permit. 

23 minutes ago, Preacher said:

Non-O based on what? If based on marriage and the entry is still valid (or on an extension based on marriage) you can apply for the waiver with copy of marriage certificate. If not, you must apply for a non-B visa outside the country, once you have that apply for the waiver and once you have the waiver apply for the work permit. 

Sorry I have confused things. What I now believe. Is as follows.

I have a non O. I need to get my school to speak to krusapa and get a temporary teaching permit. We then need to get a work permit with job title teacher. Then get a non O based on working.

Does that work?

Just now, nicelee808 said:

Sorry I have confused things. What I now believe. Is as follows.

I have a non O. I need to get my school to speak to krusapa and get a temporary teaching permit. We then need to get a work permit with job title teacher. Then get a non O based on working.

Does that work?

A non-O based on what? It is important that it is based on marriage, or volunteering.

4 minutes ago, nicelee808 said:

Then get a non O based on working.

That does not exist since you can get a work permit and work with a non-o visa based upon marriage.

You can use the income from working or teaching to meet 40k baht income requirement to apply for an extension based upon marriage.

• Like 1

Just now, Preacher said:

A non-O based on what? It is important that it is based on marriage, or volunteering.

At the moment it's based on marriage. But once I get the teaching permit and work permit will want a non O based on working

With your current non-O visa (together with a copy of the marriage certificate) you can apply for a teaching waiver. Once you have the waiver you can apply for the work permit and when the time comes to extend you current permisison to stay you do that based on teaching instead of marriage, with waiver and work permit.

Do not let your current permission to stay expire or you would need to start all over again. You can speed the proces of the waiver up by applying in person at kurusapa. 

Edited by Preacher
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Preacher said:

With your current non-O visa (together with a copy of the marriage certificate) you can apply for a teaching waiver. Once you have the waiver you can apply for the work permit and when the time comes to extend you current permisison to stay you do that based on teaching instead of marriage, with waiver and work permit.

Do not let your current permission to stay expire or you would need to start all over again. You can speed the proces of the waiver up by applying in person at kurusapa. 

Thanks. My visa expires on the 26 May. I believe I can extend this for 60 days.

13 minutes ago, Preacher said:

Yes you can and if your school doesn't hurry you are probably going to need that.  Don't know how busy kurusapa currently is, but it is doable before the 26th.

Just been told by admin at my school that krusapa won't issue the waiver with less than 30 days on existing vusa

Confusing question, thanks for reading.  new school, i've never been there. Got contract, signed, they got the krupusa whatever, no wp, no new non-b yet.  HOWEVER, we recently agreed the current contract is not correct (which hurts me, since i've learned I won't get paid for certain months).  They will send me a new contract.  What If I don't sign the new contract?  

44 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

Confusing question, thanks for reading.  new school, i've never been there. Got contract, signed, they got the krupusa whatever, no wp, no new non-b yet.  HOWEVER, we recently agreed the current contract is not correct (which hurts me, since i've learned I won't get paid for certain months).  They will send me a new contract.  What If I don't sign the new contract?  

If you still have the old contract signed by them you can hold them to it. But beware about the probation period, they can fire you without reason during that time.

It all comes down to how well you can negotiate and how desperate they are for a teacher. Some rural ereas it is very difficult to find one, especially one that will stay for a longer period. 

I myself am not only getting paid as usual, I even got a payrise. But they know I can start at several other schools today if I want.

@Preacher Is the contract valid even if I don't have a work permit?  or even a non-b affiliated with their school?  

they want me to send the contract back to them and they said they will send me documents, whatever that means.  

they have that krusapa for me, and i asked for a copy.  didn't get a copy.

i just want to follow all the guidelines from getting out of this contract but then not being in trouble because I didn't get anything in writing.  only texts on a phone.  i would rather a letter from the school.  

yea, probation for two months.  maybe it's better if i get fired?  just curious, not worried.  it's in their best interest to cancel it, but i don't care if it's cancelled.  i'm sure i won't teach there, so curious on the exit strategy.  

The contract is valid. They didn't apply for the work permit, so that is on them.  

The waiver belongs to the school, as opposed to a real teaching license. It only allows you to teach at that school, but they should give you a copy.

If you don't like the school you can always find another job. If in the same province it might be better to leave on good terms, otherwise it will be more difficult to get another job. (School directors do know eachother).

thanks, all good.  OK, good, so I'm in power.  They started the contract in May and then said (VIA TEXT) that May is unpaid.  BUT the contract says nothing about it being unpaid.  and then other stuff..

oh, i won't go to that province.  

i also found out no insurance and with COVID that's a little worrying.  

all good.  thanks

I'm waiting for my Non-B from my new school right now. I'm hoping to get married this year.

I'd like to change to Non-O based on marriage, as this will avoid the hassle of getting the school to do a Non-B again.

I heard I can't do it until after a year at the school, when they file my taxes, so I can show to immigration that this meets the 40k minimum income requirement.

You were able to find a 40k+ teaching job in Ubon? Congrats. My friends out there sure couldn't, not even at their top private school.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
Clean up

People can get three teaching license waivers (though the Kurusapa sometimes has trouble counting to three correctly).  Each waiver is good for 2 years.  As others have pointed out, each waiver is school-specific. If the school does indeed already have a waiver for you, then you have used up one of your 3 waivers. 

If you move to a new school, you will need to get a new waiver.  This will effectively reduce the time you can teach on waivers from 6 years to 4 years.  Y

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I'm waiting for my Non-B from my new school right now. I'm hoping to get married this year.

I'd like to change to Non-O based on marriage, as this will avoid the hassle of getting the school to do a Non-B again.

I heard I can't do it until after a year at the school, when they file my taxes, so I can show to immigration that this meets the 40k minimum income requirement.

You were able to find a 40k+ teaching job in Ubon? Congrats. My friends out there sure couldn't, not even at their top private school.

The 40,000 a month is for an extension of stay, not for the initial non-O visa entry or the 60 day extension. Alternatively one has the option of putting 400,000 in the bank in Thailand. 

There is no need to change within 1 year, as you will have your extension of stay unless you lose your job. Most immigration will accept the monthly tax forms plus a letter from employer stating your income. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ventenio said:

thanks, all good.  OK, good, so I'm in power.  They started the contract in May and then said (VIA TEXT) that May is unpaid.  BUT the contract says nothing about it being unpaid.  and then other stuff..

oh, i won't go to that province.  

i also found out no insurance and with COVID that's a little worrying.  

all good.  thanks

If you had a job before this one and paid social securtity you can continue paying social security if you apply for it within 3 months of losing your job and thus would be insured. If you did not have social security before there is a waiting time of 3 months before you are covered under their medical scheme.

4 hours ago, Preacher said:

If you had a job before this one and paid social securtity you can continue paying social security if you apply for it within 3 months of losing your job and thus would be insured. If you did not have social security before there is a waiting time of 3 months before you are covered under their medical scheme.

Have to be in the SS system 1 year before you can continue on your own paying-in indefinitely.

I am not sure if there is a "grace period" between job-switching before you have to start over.  It's not immigration, so maybe they try to be helpful.