Sontirat taps entrepreneurs, experts for solutions to enable economic recovery

By THE NATION

800_906a045802fdef7.jpeg

Energy Minister Sontirat Sontijirawong has urged entrepreneurs and experts to suggest solutions for helping the country's economic recovery after the Covid-19 crisis.

He made his remarks after visiting the oil depots and gas stations of PSP Specialities in Samut Sakhon province on Friday (May 8). He said he aimed to hear out oil depot operators’ problems during the Covid-19 crisis.

“We found that the demand for various fuels had dropped as people have to stay at home to contain the spread of Covid-19.

“Therefore, we have asked energy business entrepreneurs and academics to propose solutions and recommendations to the government, so that measures can be implemented to help the economy recover after the Covid-19 crisis is resolved.”

He said that the economic cabinet is currently considering a recovery plan focusing on boosting the grass-roots economy.

“We have instructed ministers of related ministries to propose recovery packages to the Cabinet as soon as possible,” he said.

He added that the Energy Ministry will discuss an economic recovery package for energy next week, adding that they would focus on boosting the grass-roots economy.

“We will consider using the ministry’s budget and take loans under the emergency decree,” he said.

He said the Energy Regulatory Commission would announce next week the purchase of electricity not exceeding 100 megawatts.

“Meanwhile, we expect the community power plant project to be approved within June this year,” he said.

He added that the ministry would consider scrapping sales of some diesel and benzene fuels, which would help reduce storage cost and types of fuels.

“However, we will promote B10 and E20 biofuels to generate income for farmers,” he added.

Meanwhile, Sint Krongphanich, chief executive officer of PSP Specialities, said that oil sales in April this year had dropped by some 30 per cent due to the Covid-19 outbreak.

“We have advised the government to consider tax assistance to increase the liquidity of entrepreneurs,” he said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30387576

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-10

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

stop (deleted) off western tourists and expats would be a step in the right direction e.g. opening up beaches so that those stuck here can relax a bit instead of being punished with nonsense bans

• Like 2

Let me work without restrictions or hinderance from the Labour department or immigration. I will employ 2/3 Thais, pay tax and SS....probably thousands more foreigners would with entrepreneural ideas. It's a start

• Like 2

Put the soldiers back in the barracks who know how to March up and down and put educated people in to run the country 

Also deflate the baht, why is it still strong when the rest of the world's currencies have fallen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

Also deflate the baht, why is it still strong when the rest of the world's currencies have fallen.

So everything gets more expensive for the minimum wage workers making 300 baht a day and expats working here? ???? Brilliant! ????

My 2 cents worth.  Bring the Baht down to competing levels so exports stand a chance.  How about 20% lower?

Reduce your customs duties on wines.  Thai wine isn’t drinkable, and certainly not worth protecting.

Stand up to China, before they dominate and overrun Thailand. In just six months, they’ve sucked Mekong down to record low levels, and shut your economy down with Wuhan virus.

Edited by Isaan sailor

On 5/10/2020 at 8:41 PM, Thechook said:

put educated people in to run the country 

As far as I know they have been looking for some of those for decades with little success! They actually discovered one recently but he posed such a threat to common sense and democracy that they disbanded his party (FFP). Greed or tanks always seem  to win!

2 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

My 2 cents worth.  Bring the Baht down to competing levels so exports stand a chance.

Here I corrected it for you

My 2 cents worth.  Bring the Baht down to competing levels so expats can survive.

Going by thee strengthening of the Baht against all major currencies again today, I don't think they do it so bad compared to those other countries.

Oh wait, I forgot, the currency is manipulated for the past 5 years, isn't it?