Can VPN "crash" your modem connection?

DUS

On 5/13/2020 at 5:45 PM, DUS said:

Earlier today, I posted about my switch to TrueOnline yesterday and asked why the download speeds of some of my devices used are up to 4-5 times faster over Wifi than via LAN cable. Whilst this question was more out of curiosity and the desire to learn more about these "things" without it having a real impact on how I can use the internet, I am now facing an issue that actually does give me some headache as it negatively impacts the network´s usability.

Here´s what is happening:

Whenever I use a VPN connection on my Mac (via WLAN; PureVPN) whilst at the same time streaming some content on TV via the android box, within 5 -15 minutes the internet connection is lost because the cable modem/router loses its connection to the True network. The DS / US and Online LEDs on the modem/router go off (the manual says this means cable downstream and upstream are disconnected and there is no RF signal), then start blinking (scanning) and after a minute or so the network access is reestablished. This happens again and again after 5 - 15 minutes. The moment I disconnect the VPN the network connection is stable without any further modem/router issues.

Can it really be that the use of the VPN results in lost network connections and the modem to "crash"? Or is my observation so far (VPN on --> crash, VPN off --> all good) just pure coincidence? After all, I´ve been using the new modem for just over 1 day. But since this happened yesterday and has happened again today I wonder what might be at play here. Is that a known issue amongst the regulars / pros here on this forum? Any advice as to what I should look at or do to fix this issue (other than just avoiding using a VPN)? I will certainly play around with it again tomorrow and see if I can reproduce the crashes and I will also run the VPN without the android box at the same time etc etc. But I thought I might as well ask the community here for some initial thoughts and comments. 

Thank you!

If you add your android box to your VPN list your problem should go away, however remember that VPN’s are illegal in Los and TRUE is very aware of it.

Hope this helps

15 minutes ago, Janner1 said:

If you add your android box to your VPN list your problem should go away, however remember that VPN’s are illegal in Los and TRUE is very aware of it.

Hope this helps

This makes little or no sense. If they are illegal, why do they work so well in TH?

33 minutes ago, Janner1 said:

Hope this helps

If you use the VPN for illegal acvtivities it is not allowed, but a VPN in itself is legal.

On 5/19/2020 at 9:24 AM, i84teen said:

This makes little or no sense. If they are illegal, why do they work so well in TH?

Ok I took a shortcut because ultimately once the government gets the power it is striving for and covid19, And the new tracking app will provide, you can bet that VPN’s will be illegal very soon. This is also backed up by the  fact that every coffee shop, cafe and many other businesses have to keep a record of every login using their internet and providing It to the government daily, that is why before logging in many ask if you are using a VPN, because it is information the government requires

As for why they work so well is because you sign into your home country to enable the viewing of programs you want to watch, ie Netflix, Amazon and mirriad others whereas if you tried to sign into these sites without a VPN Google will tell them you are are elsewhere and not let you, but with a VPN google knows you are there but it does not know where you are so can not screw you up.

There is nothing illegal in this activity unless you are trying to log in to something that is banned by the government of the country you are in at the time.

As for the nay sayers I have never espoused that a VPN should be used for illegal activity, nor would I.

I think it's worth that you try checking your DNS config. Usually the VPN use their own DNS, maybe (most probably) that's what causes the problem with TRUE. Try to change that value to something else like Google DNS (8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4) or Cloudflare DNS(can't remember these, check them on internet).

Please note that VPNs use their own DNS as an added "layer" of security so you will have to change that INSIDE the VPN app's settings and not on the network device properties. Or try to change both, it won't cause issues. (Of course, you will lose that "layer" of protections for DNS leak but unless you have FBI behind your back, don't worry).

• 3 weeks later...

Thats what happened in.....rhymes with BINA. When I first moved there VPN's were considered illegal but big businesses could get permission from the government to utilize them and BINA new exactly who was using private ones. How do I know they knew? Every year, twice a year, they would black out ALL VPN's (Bhinese New year and whenever Zi (x) came to our city). Then everyone would have to wait for the VPN provider to post alternate servers (dedicated and new) that the TRC (P) were not aware of and then everyone could get back online. As more tensions grew then all the big names (Express, Nord) were totally locked out even if they gave new servers---within hours done.  So, small companies inside the country offering shadowsocks were utilized. Then they were blocked. In this way they controlled all media and information. I have to say from experiencing it first hand it was powerful. To not know the news in home countries was stressful and it controlled the narrative. Since I don't want my posts to be taken down names have been changed.