Super cheap covid tests in Chiang Mai

Trujillo

Unfortunately, I don't create the news. 

Events happen that I think would make interesting topics for discussion. A friend was required to go take a test and these figures came up. I thought it was rather remarkable, and food for thought, particularly for those who suspect (unproven) that Thailand is "under-testing."

But if you only want feel-good topics, I will keep my eyes peeled and my ears open. Or perhaps you might download the Pray.com app....

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Unfortunately, I don't create the news. 

Events happen that I think would make interesting topics for discussion. A friend was required to go take a test and these figures came up. I thought it was rather remarkable, and food for thought, particularly for those who suspect (unproven) that Thailand is "under-testing."

But if you only want feel-good topics, I will keep my eyes peeled and my ears open. Or perhaps you might download the Pray.com app....

Hope one of the hospitals you plugged is giving you a free test. Least they could do.

Main question is are these test reliable & trustworthy. Rest of the World are finding many test kits especially from China are not reliable causing false readings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ehs818 said:

Bangkok Hospital in Pattaya is charging 6500 baht.

Bangkok Pattaya Hospital... aka "Hilton Hospital"... known for its very high fees.

Would be far more interesting to know the test price in Banglamung Hospital :unsure:

It's where people would go if they wanted to be tested.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, les1 said:

Main question is are these test reliable & trustworthy. Rest of the World are finding many test kits especially from China are not reliable causing false readings.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/05/why-unreliable-tests-are-flooding-the-coronavirus-conversation-cvd/

Apparently the most accurate test identifies both the virus and the antibodies in the same blood sample. Permit me to doubt that is what is being used in CM hospitals. One antibody test has been described by Australian medical researchers as no better than flipping a coin.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, les1 said:

Totally unreliable.  Maybe 80% false neg.

Impossible to know.

There is no 'gold standard' test

to compare against.

We all have ingested many Corona V over the years.

Virus are ubiquitous.

Their genetic material has been incorporated into our genome.

I'm calling BS on all of it.

Edited by papa al
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, Trujillo said:

My understanding is that only three hospitals will test you for the Wuhan Covid-19 virus. 

Because these three hospitals are so happy to help with the effort to keep us all safe, they have the following very super amazingly cheap prices for a "currently infected" test (not antibody test):

Bangkok Hospital: 3,500 baht (US$110)

RAM Hosptial: 6,500 baht (US$200)

Maharaj Nakorn Hospital: 8,000 baht (US$250)

13 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Am I the only person on Thai Visa who knows how to use Google?  1000 baht tests available in Chiang Mai:

https://main.citylifeadmin.com/citynews/covid-19/new-covid-testing-centre-opens/?fbclid=IwAR3uB8HLF9eCtDeBOGwc9o0NB65UVrrs041XgSu02Zc4zY_SeTGKT7dkEvc

.... and poor Trujillo takes yet another fall.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Those prices are CRAZY CHEAP! The poor Americans pay north of $3,000. I'll take two, please!

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Bangkok Pattaya Hospital... aka "Hilton Hospital"... known for its very high fees.

Would be far more interesting to know the test price in Banglamung Hospital

Apparently smart Farang not know SAME DOCTOR work in both hospitals on different days.

The only difference is the price the hospital charges.

But I guess going to a private hospital is like drinking a $3000 bottle of wine versus a $3 bottle of wine.

You THINK it's 1000 times better (placebo effect), but in reality it gets you just as drunk as the $3 bottle. ????

Edited by SiSePuede419

15 hours ago, Trujillo said:

My understanding is that only three hospitals will test you for the Wuhan Covid-19 virus. 

Because these three hospitals are so happy to help with the effort to keep us all safe, they have the following very super amazingly cheap prices for a "currently infected" test (not antibody test):

"When tracking app show farang come close to Covid, farang go to hospital quick quick and get test."

Yahoo!  Covid tracking app sends farang to get tested 3 times in one week.  Windfall for local hospitals!  bohica

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

.... and poor Trujillo takes yet another fall.

Maybe not.  I know a work colleague in the UK whose wife volunteered for charity work at the outset of lockdown but had to take the obligatory 'two' C19 tests.  One positive and one negative with the third coming back positive.  We're now nine weeks in and she's still to commence charity work.

Tells me all I need to know about the reliability of C19 testing.

On 5/14/2020 at 3:25 AM, Trujillo said:

My understanding is that no hospital in Chiang Mai can test for the Wuhan Covid-19 virus, nor can any hospital anywhere in the world do so. There are, however, test kits available for testing people to see if they are infected with SARS-CoV-2.

On 5/14/2020 at 5:28 PM, NancyL said:

Am I the only person on Thai Visa who knows how to use Google?  1000 baht tests available in Chiang Mai:

https://main.citylifeadmin.com/citynews/covid-19/new-covid-testing-centre-opens/?fbclid=IwAR3uB8HLF9eCtDeBOGwc9o0NB65UVrrs041XgSu02Zc4zY_SeTGKT7dkEvc

Just noticed the small print in that ad. - viz: (for the first 500 clients only)  So get in quick.

image.jpeg.0b7be3c72745a12c65c471aed2477f48.jpeg

Edited by chickenslegs

Is the price in that advertisement for a viral test or a antibody test?

P.S. I found the answer on the website to which you kindly gave a link: it is a SARS-CoV-2 test using the RT-PCR method. Result available within two business days.

Edited by Puccini

Sigh....

".... and poor Trujillo takes yet another fall."

Devil's in the details, isn't it? The "1,000 baht test" as shown is for the first 500 tests. After that? 

More to the point for someone having it out for me, I started this thread about 7 hours before the news of the 1,000 baht test was published, which means there was no way I could have known this, even if I did know how to use the internet. 

My understanding is that the 3 hospitals mentioned are the ones doing the testing and that other hospitals send their samples to one of these. This information is not written in stone, so if someone has more or better information, please advise. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Sigh....

".... and poor Trujillo takes yet another fall."

Devil's in the details, isn't it? The "1,000 baht test" as shown is for the first 500 tests. After that? 

More to the point for someone having it out for me, I started this thread about 7 hours before the news of the 1,000 baht test was published, which means there was no way I could have known this, even if I did know how to use the internet. 

My understanding is that the 3 hospitals mentioned are the ones doing the testing and that other hospitals send their samples to one of these. This information is not written in stone, so if someone has more or better information, please advise. 

Wawawa and we can’t do home repairs or improvement either.

• Haha 1

On 5/14/2020 at 3:55 PM, khwaibah said:

The clap clinic on Loi Kroh have serious cheep price on testing.????????

Is that including the Covid 19 tests required:

1.  to depart/check-in to travel to Thailand and

2. the required tests at check-in to depart Thailand and to enter on arrival in other countries?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Is that including the Covid 19 tests required:

1.  to depart/check-in to travel to Thailand and

2. the required tests at check-in to depart Thailand and to enter on arrival in other countries?

1. You think you can get a test in Thailand for use to travel to Thailand?