3BB slower?

Inderpland

Recently I have experienced problems when loading a newspaper from a European country. Normally the page loads in a few seconds but now it's not even possible to load all the pictures that accompany the articles.

I have a 3BB fiber line for which I pay 749/month and the theoretical speed is something like 800/200.

Just now I did a speed test to that European country and the upload speed was faster than the download speed - never seen that before. Any idea what this could all mean?

Capture.JPG

Covid-19 is what it means - people have been using internet at many times normal rate as locked in homes with nothing else to do.  In USA they had to degrade major platforms to even keep video working.  Be glad we have one of the highest data rates in the world here in Thailand - but when have to connect to the folks in our homelands their poor speeds become ours.  You should not have any issue with those speeds downloading a newspaper - issue is at newspaper end. 

• Like 1

Mine dropped from 500MBit to 200Mbit and torrents are blocked since 8h ago. Not promising.

EDIT: I got the 1 GBit fibre plan. They are not delivering what is on the tin.

9444167538.png

Edited by DrTuner

35 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Mine dropped from 500MBit to 200Mbit and torrents are blocked since 8h ago. Not promising.

EDIT: I got the 1 GBit fibre plan. They are not delivering what is on the tin.

9444167538.png

EDIT2: Confirmed torrents work fine through VPN to Singapore. It's 3BB blocking them.

18 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

EDIT2: Confirmed torrents work fine through VPN to Singapore. It's 3BB blocking them.

Plans sometimes have fair use policy that limits your time using higher speeds - after several hours can be reduced for a time.  Torrent downloading software can normally be set to a fraction of total bandwidth to avoid such.  And using VPN may work.  But perhaps best to read fine print in contract and try to keep total usage below that cut off level most of the time (if there is such a limit).  Might try keep download below 6000 KB/s and see if that helps.

7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Plans sometimes have fair use policy that limits your time using higher speeds - after several hours can be reduced for a time. 

Not this time, they have been working for months, bandwidth monitoring clearly shows it got blocked 9AM today. Likely at the same time they throttled the 1GBit line to 200MBit.

I'm running the VPN through the same fiber. 

Edited by DrTuner

Just now, DrTuner said:

Not this time, they have been working for months, bandwidth monitoring clearly shows it got blocked 9AM today. Likely at the same time they throttled the 1GBit line to 200MBit.

It could be activated at any time if they notice high usage and need the bandwidth - but indeed the covid-19 factor may be the reason - usage is much higher than normal for internet with everyone working/staying at home so all the world is having speed issues and perhaps this is a temp fix (if domestic as well as international).  But my check to Singapore using True indicates extremely slow test speeds tonight for incoming data.

I stumbled upon this throttling a couple of times (1000/500 giving approx 100/100).

After the third time I opened a trouble ticket in the app.

They came up with some lame excuses (power outage bla bla) but gave the useful hint to reboot the router (or power cycle).

For me it did the trick.

I always use their own speedtest first:

https://speedtest.3bb.co.th/

No idea why this always goes to "Bangkok".

Then I use the generic OOKLA speedtest:

https://www.speedtest.net/

which selects "Khon Kaen" and often gives better results (but not now :wink:).

Edited by KhunBENQ

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I stumbled upon this throttling a couple of times (1000/500 giving approx 100/100).

After the third time I opened a trouble ticket in the app.

They came up with some lame excuses (power outage bla bla) but gave the useful hint to reboot the router (or power cycle).

Yes, first thing I tried, I'm running a high-end Asus router and using 3BB's box only as a modem, rebooted both. Still 200MBit. Will try again now.

And didn't help, still at 200MBit limit, upload at 250MBit.

9445118130.png

Not really complaining other than I'm paying for 1GBit.