buying 2nd hand bike from farang on days of covid

my understanding is if i buy a bike from a farang and he doesn't have a WP, he needs to get a letter from immigration. is that still correct and is that even possible now the immigrations offices are mostly closed i think.

so the guy i want to buy from is on retirement extension, he has TM30 up to date etc but says he does not want to go to immigration to get any additional paperwork.

is it necessary to get a letter from imm these days or will retirement extension and TM30 do?

You simply need TWO signed copies of the sellers passport ( front page, and visa page) and the sellers signature on both the transfer form and the power of attorney form. 

The BUYER is the one that needs a residency confirmation letter from immigration or your house book (yellow book) or Thai ID card. 

It's very straight forward and many motorbike shops will take care of the details for you for a reasonable service charge.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Greg O said:

You simply need TWO signed copies of the sellers passport ( front page, and visa page) and the sellers signature on both the transfer form and the power of attorney form. 

The BUYER is the one that needs a residency confirmation letter from immigration or your house book (yellow book) or Thai ID card. 

It's very straight forward and many motorbike shops will take care of the details for you for a reasonable service charge.

Depends where OP is...Pattaya requires a residence letter from a Foreign seller....

20 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Depends where OP is...Pattaya requires a residence letter from a Foreign seller....

i live in phuket and the bike is registered in phuket although the seller lives in surat thani

13 minutes ago, Greg O said:

He doesn't have to go to immigration if he has a yellow book . But if he's being difficult don't buy it . There's tons of bikes where you live. 

i'll check if he has a yellow book. yes the guy is stubborn but its a nice looking bike and a reasonably good deal. i'm in surat right now myself and no other bikes i can find that i like here.

6 minutes ago, steve2112 said:

i'll check if he has a yellow book. yes the guy is stubborn but its a nice looking bike and a reasonably good deal. i'm in surat right now myself and no other bikes i can find that i like here.

Is it a reasonably good deal? Brand/model, odometer and price. Plenty of people to give advice here.

59 minutes ago, baansgr said:

No, only for foreign buyer.

Unless things changed in last 2 months.

papa thought same [seller needed CR]

but agent proved me wrong.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steve2112 said:

you mean have an agent register it for me when i get home to phuket? maybe that would work, i'll check

Go to agent near where bike is sold.

Or nearest Land Transport Office.

They will tell you everything

and you can take/ride back home.

Relax.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, papa al said:

No, only for foreign buyer.

Unless things changed in last 2 months.

papa thought same [seller needed CR]

but agent proved me wrong.

You used an agent, and paid them a fee?...how much...go to LTO yourself and they require LOR from Foreign seller...if only 2 months ago, Covid was already in full swing, they may very well have laxed requirements.

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

You used an agent, and paid them a fee?...how much...go to LTO yourself and they require LOR from Foreign seller...if only 2 months ago, Covid was already in full swing, they may very well have laxed requirements.

1. The fee was not much.

2. Interesting theory, but wrong.

@steve2112 I have done two bikes in Phuket office myself and they don't require certificate of residence from the seller. But they want it from buyer.

Look at post #5 from @Greg O , that is exactly what you need, right forms and copies signed, then the power of attorney letter is very important.

Last thing, you must go to the office to transfer before the seller visa/extension expires, that is very important, seller must have valid visa status in the country. I was late for a few days, and the seller had left the country by then, so it took a lot of discussion and begging to get them do it..., I was lucky.

Edited by Agusts

11 hours ago, papa al said:

1. The fee was not much.

2. Interesting theory, but wrong.

I sold my car last year and my neighbour bought two bikes from foreigners, each time we both required LORs for me and his sellers...others have also said the same. Either they have changed the beginning of this year or the "not much" secretative agent fee takes care of it. It's irelevent anyway as OP is in Phuket