Government set to revive tourism

rooster59

21 minutes ago, kingdong said:

What like keeping the baht artificially high?

That is the one thing I can not understand.  My stocks in the US have recovered, and everything is picking back up, so why is the dollars worth dropping.  in 1 month it has dropped almost 1.04 baht from 33.10 to 32.06 as of this morning.  I mean it is not drastic, but why is the baht hanging on so hard if the Thai economy is in tatters and GDP is down, so confused.  Where is #Saengd when he could explain it again...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Again, until there is a vaccine things will not be the way they once were.  And the world health organization has flatly said that there would be no COVID certificates because you are not necessarily immune to it once you've had it once.

Even a vaccine, if possible is not a cure all, as it does not keep everyone from getting the virus.  Plus you have all of the Anti-Vaxers, who will still refuse to have the vaccine, even if there is one.  What do you do with them to keep them from become a super spreader and infecting others.  You can not imprison them because of their beliefs and you sure as heck can not keep them from travelling now can you...

Thai Immigration crickets? 

TI has done a fantastic job ridding it's country of "dirty falang." They need to revamp it's entire approach towards falangs. They made it abundantly clear "no falangs" is their ultimate goal.  How is that working out?  Falangs returning to LOS?  Maybe.  Check back in four years. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Easy. Repeat what was successful before. Check what they did 15 - 20 years ago (and I do not mean Thaksin), I mean costs of living, mindset of immigration, and people, countries were the most tourists came from etc. Make night life and bars easy And then just do the same.

That is too sensible for the clowns who are attempting to run the country.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The scams have to stop. Now. All of them.

If they do then the moniker LOS (Land of Scams) would not be any good anymore...The Thais can not have that happen, they need the scams to continue....

They can keep the LOS, because without doubt, this is the Land of Stupidity.

17 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

What are you both talking about ??

Living in Pattaya for more than 10 years,

I can't remember anytime where I got in a situation I would call a scam ??

Not a jet ski fan then?

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:
17 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Living in Pattaya for more than 10 years,

I can't remember anytime where I got in a situation I would call a scam ??

Not a jet ski fan then?

No,but I think that you are talking about the past.

Which year was the last time you heard about JetSki scam in Pattaya ?

14 hours ago, belfast3 said:

A good start would be to have clearer messaging on when the international flight ban will be lifted and what the entry requirements will be. These constant monthly extensions and uncertainty around covid-free letters makes it impossible for anyone to book a trip.

Just another situation where the Thai government lack any common sense.

13 hours ago, Tom9999 said:

Don't forget that flying might get expensive. If this happens then no cheap Holiday flights for the entire Family to Thailand will be available anymore. 

I am not too sure about flying getting much more expensive, the UK and other European flight companies don't have the same mentality as the Somchais, they would be more likely to try and make their flights more attractive to try and fill up any empty seats, and that does not usually mean increasing their prices.

Hygiene in this sector? This was missing to my experiences for 25 plus years in the hospitality sector.

There is no understanding of this matter do lack of training or simply cost cutting. Neither from the Government, Provincial Governors or the operators. Speaking out of own observations due my 18 years in this business in Thailand. Good luck with the task...

On 5/18/2020 at 2:33 AM, ThailandRyan said:

That is the one thing I can not understand.  My stocks in the US have recovered, and everything is picking back up, so why is the dollars worth dropping.  in 1 month it has dropped almost 1.04 baht from 33.10 to 32.06 as of this morning.  I mean it is not drastic, but why is the baht hanging on so hard if the Thai economy is in tatters and GDP is down, so confused.  Where is #Saengd when he could explain it again...

probably cause FED is printing billions out of thin air while Thai dont even know how to devaluate their currency without increasing products prices.

On 5/18/2020 at 5:10 AM, possum1931 said:

I am not too sure about flying getting much more expensive, the UK and other European flight companies don't have the same mentality as the Somchais, they would be more likely to try and make their flights more attractive to try and fill up any empty seats, and that does not usually mean increasing their prices.

I wont be surprised to see ThaiAirways Mumbai-Bangkok at 1500 USD 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lavezzi said:

I wont be surprised to see ThaiAirways Mumbai-Bangkok at 1500 USD 

Yes, I can see it around that range.

The days of cheap air flights are certainly coming to a dramatic end.

On 5/18/2020 at 10:47 AM, Isaan sailor said:

So you Chinese don’t like us?  That’s OK, the feeling’s mutual.

I'm a Brit actually.

I like almost everyone, but you have to admit you've made a pigs ear of the old COVID-19. I mean 90,000 stiffs +/- 31%? Not good.

Edited by Traubert
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 7:57 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Even a vaccine, if possible is not a cure all, as it does not keep everyone from getting the virus.  Plus you have all of the Anti-Vaxers, who will still refuse to have the vaccine, even if there is one.  What do you do with them to keep them from become a super spreader and infecting others.  You can not imprison them because of their beliefs and you sure as heck can not keep them from travelling now can you...

Why can't you stop them? The concept of a health passport has been thrown around. You maybe can't force someone to take a vaccine, but you sure don't have to let them into your country if they present an avoidable risk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brucec64 said:

Why can't you stop them? The concept of a health passport has been thrown around. You maybe can't force someone to take a vaccine, but you sure don't have to let them into your country if they present an avoidable risk.

You guys underestimate herd-psychology. As soon as a vaccine is available mass media will lose interest in the corona theme.

Many people have the possibility to get the vaccine so they don't care if they meet someone not vaccinated. If someone dies on Corona he/she will be presented as an idiot because he refused to get vaccinated. Nobody cares if the vaccine is 100% effective as soon as the media loose interest.

All will be good.

On 5/18/2020 at 7:33 AM, ThailandRyan said:

That is the one thing I can not understand.  My stocks in the US have recovered, and everything is picking back up, so why is the dollars worth dropping.  in 1 month it has dropped almost 1.04 baht from 33.10 to 32.06 as of this morning.  I mean it is not drastic, but why is the baht hanging on so hard if the Thai economy is in tatters and GDP is down, so confused.  

Stock market prices and foreign exchange rates have different drivers, one is driven by earnings potential, the second by economic fundamentals. Your US stocks have recovered because the prospect of a vaccine and the lifting of isolation curbs has become more real, the value of USD has weakened because markets can see US debt piling up - stocks market up, currency down. 

Thailand's situation is almost the opposite of the US, stock prices have not recovered and many companies are languishing in the doldrums but the economic fundamentals remain sound - government debt remains comparatively low, financial reserves are high and because of the prospect of a vaccine and an end to isolation there's a sense of an early recovery in tourism and exports markets, stocks market down, currency up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Trillian said:

Stock market prices and foreign exchange rates have different drivers, one is driven by earnings potential, the second by economic fundamentals. Your US stocks have recovered because the prospect of a vaccine and the lifting of isolation curbs has become more real, the value of USD has weakened because markets can see US debt piling up - stocks market up, currency down. 

Thailand's situation is almost the opposite of the US, stock prices have not recovered and many companies are languishing in the doldrums but the economic fundamentals remain sound - government debt remains comparatively low, financial reserves are high and because of the prospect of a vaccine and an end to isolation there's a sense of an early recovery in tourism and exports markets, stocks market down, currency up.

Thank you for the informative post.  Finally someone that knows what they are talking about.  So tired of reading the same old hysterical posters ranting on about how the exchange rate is impossible (because they are currency experts) and the government is obviously fixing it.

• Like 1