Question about 1 year extension based on marriage while in amnesty period.

I am currently on a non o based on having a thai child which is due to expire on 31st may which i was going to let run into the amnesty period.  
I was then thinking about doing a 1 year extension based on marriage during the amnesty period but reading in another thread a poster seemed to be saying this will not be possible & if try you would have to start from scratch. Can anyone confirm if this is true?
If so would it be advisable to do the 60 day extension of my non o visa at CW before my current visa expires?
Thanks for any replies. 

Immigration has not made it clear that the "automatic extension" will be considered as an extension of your non-o visa entry.

Best to apply for the 60 day extension so there is no chance of having a problem when you apply for the one year extension.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration has not made it clear that the "automatic extension" will be considered as an extension of your non-o visa entry.

Best to apply for the 60 day extension so there is no chance of having a problem when you apply for the one year extension.

Now I get confused when reading this thread. Is there something I am missing. Yesterday I asked for a friend in this thread:

Then you answered that he could make a 60 day extension at the end of the amnesty. Here you are saying that it is not sure how immigration are looking at the amnesty regarding as extension or not? Am I mixing things wrong? Please try to clarify this for me.

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

OK, that makes me a little nervous. I have a 1-year Non-O visa based on Thai wife, first 90-day stay ending tomorrow, May 20. We went to CM Immigration last week and were told by a "yellow shirt" that all I needed to do was wait until July 31. No action necessary before then, and he did look at my visa and entry stamp. None of us know yet, I believe, what rules will come out before July 31, but your reply ubonjoe seems to contradict what we were told. And let me be clear that we did not talk to a Thai Immigration officer, as part of the information we received was that we did not need to.   

33 minutes ago, Ozziepat said:

OK, that makes me a little nervous. I have a 1-year Non-O visa based on Thai wife, first 90-day stay ending tomorrow, May 20. We went to CM Immigration last week and were told by a "yellow shirt" that all I needed to do was wait until July 31. No action necessary before then, and he did look at my visa and entry stamp. None of us know yet, I believe, what rules will come out before July 31, but your reply ubonjoe seems to contradict what we were told. And let me be clear that we did not talk to a Thai Immigration officer, as part of the information we received was that we did not need to.   

You have a 1 year Non O ME Visa.

Your first 90 day permission of stay ends tomorrow.

You would normally leave the Country to re-enter and obtain another 90 day stay.

As borders are closed, your permission of stay has been automatically extended until July 31st via the amnesty, so you don't have to do anything, but watch for further updates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JammG said:

I was then thinking about doing a 1 year extension based on marriage during the amnesty period but reading in another thread a poster seemed to be saying this will not be possible & if try you would have to start from scratch.

If you have a valid entry from a Non O Visa with your permission of stay ending 31st May, I can't see any reason not to apply for an extension based on marriage now, provided you meet the financial requirements.

400K in a Thai bank for 2 months, or 2 x 40K monthly overseas transfers.

If you require more time to season the funds for the required period, then apply for a 60 day extension, then apply for the 1 year extension before the 60 extension days expires.

Edited by Tanoshi

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You have a 1 year Non O ME Visa.

Your first 90 day permission of stay ends tomorrow.

You would normally leave the Country to re-enter and obtain another 90 day stay.

As borders are closed, your permission of stay has been automatically extended until July 31st via the amnesty, so you don't have to do anything, but watch for further updates.

Yet as Joe states grey area as he can get a 60 day extension. 

And no one knows how immigration offices around the country will interpret the amnesty in all honesty. 

Me personally if I was in the situations ie 

Need a new extension based on marriage or Retirement I would go and get it as normal as I belive that's the case. 

Need a 60 day extension on a non O ME. I would go and get it. 

Same as I have done my 90 day report last month. 

Better safe than sorry. 

As I'm sure things will go tits up when the amnesty eventually finishes. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fourpack said:

UJ replied to the OP 'JammG'.

The quote you posted of mine was in reply to 'Ozziepat', not the OP and not the same member UJ replied to.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

If you have a valid entry from a Non O Visa with your permission of stay ending 31st May, I can't see any reason not to apply for an extension based on marriage now, provided you meet the financial requirements.

400K in a Thai bank for 2 months, or 2 x 40K monthly overseas transfers.

If you require more time to season the funds for the required period, then apply for a 60 day extension, then apply for the 1 year extension before the 60 extension days expires.

Yeah one of the reasons is i need a little longer to season the funds for the 1 year extension & that i have only just got all the documents i needed to actually get married from my embassy as they have only been issuing emergency documents until very recently.

I think i will have to go & get that 60 day extension even though i will have to take my 11 month old baby along with me, things being not clear about this amnesty & all the uncertainty about travel in & out of thailand for the foreseeable future i really dont want to take any chances.

8 hours ago, JammG said:

I think i will have to go & get that 60 day extension even though i will have to take my 11 month old baby along with me, things being not clear about this amnesty & all the uncertainty about travel in & out of thailand for the foreseeable future i really dont want to take any chances.

The Immigration offices are as empty and quiet as they've ever been at the moment.

15 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

UJ replied to the OP 'JammG'.

The quote you posted of mine was in reply to 'Ozziepat', not the OP and not the same member UJ replied to.

No I quoted you as you also stated about this amnesty I was just saying my take on it

On 5/19/2020 at 9:43 PM, fourpack said:

And no one knows how immigration offices around the country will interpret the amnesty in all honesty. 

Me personally if I was in the situations ie 

Need a new extension based on marriage or Retirement I would go and get it as normal as I belive that's the case. 

Need a 60 day extension on a non O ME. I would go and get it. 

Same as I have done my 90 day report last month. 

Better safe than sorry. 

As I'm sure things will go tits up when the amnesty eventually finishes. 

When the first amnesty kicked in, it said it was for tourists "affected" by the coronavirus. People on 1 year extensions are not "affected" and should do their extensions as usual. This is how I interpret the amnesty. 

18 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

When the first amnesty kicked in, it said it was for tourists "affected" by the coronavirus. People on 1 year extensions are not "affected" and should do their extensions as usual. This is how I interpret the amnesty. 

It actually listed several visa types up to 90-days.  I did not see 365 day visas on the list.  Some reports indicate they are letting some apply late, but I would do it on time.  Don't give 'em the rope to hang you.

13 hours ago, Max69xl said:

This was original the idea of the amnesty,

I only can talk for Phuket immigration but the amnesty is also granted for all other extensions and 90 day reporting as there was a lock down and people weren't able to go to the immigration office for their extension.

But as soon the lock down was lifted it is expected that the people would do their extensions as normal again.

It is not a problem if they don't come straight away and do it at a little bit later but it is not a excuse to wait until 31 July.

If people come after 31 July it will be considered as a overstay situation.

I submitted documents for 1-year extension upon marriage 2 weeks ago. IO said that amniesty does not cover the case with marriage extension. Office (Chachoengsao) looks quied but by another hand stuff has a lot of time to process your documents. So, i spent about 2.5 hours with my wife in the immigration office.... All documents were ok, just waited and talk with stuff about the reason why i want to stay in Thailand...

Edited by Dmitry2222

14 minutes ago, Dmitry2222 said:

I submitted documents for 1-year extension upon marriage 2 weeks ago. IO said that amniesty does not cover the case with marriage extension. Office (Chachoengsao) looks quied but by another hand stuff has a lot of time to process your documents. So, i spent about 2.5 hours with my wife in the immigration office.... All documents were ok, just waited and talk with stuff about the reason why i want to stay in Thailand...

This seemed very confusing, but worked it out I think.

Shld be "looks quiet, but on the other hand, the staff have a lot of time".

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, sotonfarang said:

Isnt the amnesty only for tourists / short stayers? All Non-O and Retirees are to act and apply as normal?

I think this is quite clear......................Non-O is a visa...

Second Automatic Visa Extension for Foreigners in Thailand

The Cabinet approved the draft notification of the Ministry of Interior on a second automatic visa extension for foreigners to stay temporarily in Thailand. Foreigners whose visas have expired as of 26 March 2020 will be permitted to stay until 31July 2020 without having to apply for an extension.
- Automatic visa extension
- Exemption from 90-day reporting
- Exemption from visa extension fee
- No need to submit any documents
The Immigration Bureau will process all the above steps for you. For more information please contact the Immigration Bureau's call center at 1178.

Read more: https://thailand.prd.go.th/ewt_news.php…

Image may contain: text that says "THE SECOND AUTOMATIC VISA EXTENSION FOR FOREIGNERS No need to extend visa No need to do 90-day reporting No need to pay fees DOC No need to submit documents Everything will be done automatically Foreigners whose visas have expired since 26 March 2020 will permitted stay until 31 July without having to apply for an extension. HOTLINE 1178 PRD"