Forum Topics

chevykanteve

I was reading an interesting thread about a famous battle in Scotland. It's posted here on TV. I'm not Scottish, or even British, but I found it a great read. I've always been into history.

To cut things short, the moderator stopped the thread on the basis that it is "Not Thai related so closed". Mr. Moderator, is the "Football/Soccer Forum" with its threads on Manchester United, etc., "Thai related"? I'm not criticizing; I'm merely questioning: how do you draw the line?

I was reading an interesting thread about a famous battle in Scotland. It's posted here on TV. I'm not Scottish, or even British, but I found it a great read. I've always been into history.

To cut things short, the moderator stopped the thread on the basis that it is "Not Thai related so closed". Mr. Moderator, is the "Football/Soccer Forum" with its threads on Manchester United, etc., "Thai related"? I'm not criticizing; I'm merely questioning: how do you draw the line?

Same thing happened to me I complained and got banned for a week?

To be first at bat among the moderators (unless Totster beats me to it), I don't rightly know. Sports is sports are sports, and the red-blooded farang have to talk about sports in Thailand. The jokes aren't all about Thailand, either. In other words, we try to keep almost all the regular forums about Thailand. That doesn't mean that the Gay Forum is 100% about Thailand, or that the teachers don't relate education in the West with schools in Thailand.

Added: but don't complain about moderation issues. Against the rules. Use PM's to the mods.

To be first at bat among the moderators (unless Totster beats me to it), I don't rightly know. Sports is sports are sports, and the red-blooded farang have to talk about sports in Thailand. The jokes aren't all about Thailand, either. In other words, we try to keep almost all the regular forums about Thailand. That doesn't mean that the Gay Forum is 100% about Thailand, or that the teachers don't relate education in the West with schools in Thailand.

Added: but don't complain about moderation issues. Against the rules. Use PM's to the mods.

US Social Security issues? "Relevance to Thailand"? Again, I'm not criticizing. And for that matter, how many Scot expats are now living in Thailand and might have found that thread of some interest? ....Just asking!!!

Maybe we need a forum for general topics not specifically Thailand,

MM

We have one, its called bedlam and is available to members once they reach 500 posts.

Also, i'm going to move this thread into the forum support area.

Regards

Wolfie

US Social Security issues? "Relevance to Thailand"? Again, I'm not criticizing. And for that matter, how many Scot expats are now living in Thailand and might have found that thread of some interest? ....Just asking!!!

The discussion about social security issues (and UK health coverage under NHS) affects expats - how they get their checks in Thailand, how the govt. agency sends them their checks or postal notes in Thailand. You can start a thread on disabled military veterans from Poland getting their physical exams and mailing them to Gdansk from Udon Thani.

MM

I agree absolutely. An additional forum on general topics not specifically Thai-related would be a good gap-filler for this website and something that it's now lacking. There are expats living in this country who have broad interests, i.e., books, history, etc., just like there are many expats living here who are into computers and already have the computer/Internet forum as an intellectual outlet.

MM

We have one, its called bedlam and is available to members once they reach 500 posts.

Also, i'm going to move this thread into the forum support area.

Regards

Wolfie

:o

Helps keep some kind of focus on the forum. If the moderators didn't do this then it would be a huge mess and you may as well just call it "GeneralTopicsAboutAnythingVisa" rather that ThaiVisa.

The exception is in the more targeted sub-forums. E.g. Computers and IT, Football, etc. in which threads should be Computers and IT related or football related. If they're not then they'll inevitably get moved into their relevant sub-forum instead. But if they're not Thai related or not related to any other of the other sub-forums then they'll probably be closed.

If the demand was there and a new forum was opened specifically for discussing famous battles then I'm sure the thread about the Scottish battle would have been left open. But there isn't, it's not Thai related, and so therefore it was closed.

Helps keep some kind of focus on the forum. If the moderators didn't do this then it would be a huge mess and you may as well just call it "GeneralTopicsAboutAnythingVisa" rather that ThaiVisa.

The exception is in the more targeted sub-forums. E.g. Computers and IT, Football, etc. in which threads should be Computers and IT related or football related. If they're not then they'll inevitably get moved into their relevant sub-forum instead. But if they're not Thai related or not related to any other of the other sub-forums then they'll probably be closed.

If the demand was there and a new forum was opened specifically for discussing famous battles then I'm sure the thread about the Scottish battle would have been left open. But there isn't, it's not Thai related, and so therefore it was closed.

I can't even consider attempting to argue with your logic. You've made quite a point there.

Although you have valid points, on what basis have you made the supposition that the demand is not there ? What data have you based this on? I suspect nothing other than possible intuition and perhaps before Culloden gets into the topic forum. However, more to the point and before this thread gets closed, as Im sure it will as it may attract some critisicm, one has to realise that the sponsors of this site are not a charity and hence they would, quite correctly, expect some return on costs to maintain and run this forum which I suspect are not wholly covered by the advertising revenue. Therefore do you think it would generate much revenue if non Thai related issues were allowed to run their course? Obviously there is an economic business potential for the likes of Man U , Chelsea threads etc owing to their wide interest, and hence a business logic for retaining said subject discussions, but I wonder if a thread on say Stowmarket Town would be allowed to run for the reasons I have discussed.

Edited by gummy

Hey guys, calm down! I started this thread as an innocuous inquiry about why another thread --concerning Scottish history-- was closed. One chap replied --rightly so, I thought-- that there might be a need for a "general topics forum." What's so bad about that idea? Again, we're talking about a separate "forum"; not one "thread"! Sure, if it was one thread, then chaos would prevail.

One additional forum on "general topics (not-Thai related)" would in my opinion not detract from users' opinion of TV; on the contrary, it would enhance the quality of this website by offering another option.

Just on Yahoo, there must be 17 forums discussing almost any bizarre, arcane, unknown, pedantic, boring thing you can imagine. Whatever your incredibly special interest is in, there's a forum discussing it. Etruscan politics, Abysynian guinea pigs, rare diseases, recipes for Hungarian ghoulash. If ThaiVisa has a thread on the 1982 TEFRA law on administering the audits of abusive tax shelter partnerships, I'll contribute to the IRC 6229©(3)(D) discussions. But it ain't related to Thailand.

Just on Yahoo, there must be 17 forums discussing almost any bizarre, arcane, unknown, pedantic, boring thing you can imagine. Whatever your incredibly special interest is in, there's a forum discussing it. Etruscan politics, Abysynian guinea pigs, rare diseases, recipes for Hungarian ghoulash. If ThaiVisa has a thread on the 1982 TEFRA law on administering the audits of abusive tax shelter partnerships, I'll contribute to the IRC 6229©(3)(D) discussions. But it ain't related to Thailand.

You're saying that the "bizarre" and "arcane" aren't related to Thailand?

I can't even consider attempting to argue with your logic. You've made quite a point there.

Well, OK, maybe that was going a bit far with that example but the point is that it helps keep things organised and focussed with the arrangement like it is now. It makes it much easier to manage for the moderators and easier to navigate around for us normal users.

Well, OK, maybe that was going a bit far with that example but the point is that it helps keep things organised and focussed with the arrangement like it is now. It makes it much easier to manage for the moderators and easier to navigate around for us normal users.

It makes it much easier to manage for the moderators and easier to navigate around for us normal users.

What do you mean "us", white man? (said Tonto to the Lone Ranger). But seriously, I consider myself more than normal, yet would like an additional forum. I've been living here for 20 years and have met other farangs who are into history, book collecting, coin collecting, etc. Believe me, they exist. Hey OK, how about a Hobbies Forum? I can't believe there could possibly be any objection to that. One might collect THAI postage stamps, THAI fossils or whatever. Just a thought.

:o

Phil, I've been meaning to talk to you about the state of lithuanian potholes, benefits they receive and lack of social support, especially in their old age.

But I think I'll do that in the "open/anything goes forum" that is available to those who don't get banned before they reach the magic number.

See you in forum Sii Sip Jet

but I wonder if a thread on say Stowmarket Town would be allowed to run for the reasons I have discussed.

There's a thread here which is devoted to a non-league team which has had 200 replies covering 14 pages.

Hey thanks for that Dan, but you don't seem to contribute much now, but we have just reached the play-offs. :o

Good Luck

Moss

It makes it much easier to manage for the moderators and easier to navigate around for us normal users.

What do you mean "us", white man? (said Tonto to the Lone Ranger). But seriously, I consider myself more than normal, yet would like an additional forum.

C'mon chevy, Dan was being deliberately non-committal and neutral with this comment, no need to make it controversial.

Although your comments hold some validity, it is essentially a Thai based forum, it would appear there is a call for a Hobby's forum, which is why there is one, if you need one Click Here

Good Luck

Moss

What on earth is Bedlam?! :o

Last I heard it was a place in London in the middle ages, where people of a somewhat distinct stature could get away with "un"sociable behaviour.

Not sure where you heard that. Probably some Newbie suggested it to you! There are myths and there are legends in all social circles. Do you believe in vampires?

Wolfie, we need to have a chat in forum 47. :D :D

The OP's question has been answered already.

We normally try to keep discussions based Thai aubjects and topics, as this is a Thailand discussion forum. There are some exceptions of course, the Sports forums for example.

If you would like to discuss historical events in the UK, then I'm sure there are some better forums or sites to be found that cater just for that... but of course they would not be the correct place to discuss visas for Thailand. :o

Topic Closed

totster :D