Cross-border travel if medical emergency

simon43

I don't have a medical emergency!  But living in north Laos, the usual method when a serious accident or illness strikes is to be air-lifted pronto to Bangkok - I have medivac insurance cover for this.  But in these current times, it seems to me that if such an emergency arose, medivac to another country with decent hospitals (Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore) would be off the cards, due to border closures.

I'm just wondering what might be possible, (in case I have a heart attack after being sat on by a marauding elephant in the jungle up here...)

I have seen a recent post that such travel is specifically allowed to cross land border from Cambodia so would expect the same for Laos.  But this was only a post so have no way to know how true it may be and what procedure would have to be followed.

AFAIK not possible at this stage. I know there was a procedure to get people in medical emergency from Laos to Thailand in the early days of the lockdown, but that seems no longer possible.

Still, you should ask on the Expat Laos FB group, where you will get a lot of up to date information from people actually handling similar cases. PM me for specific names, I know of people handling this kind of emergencies.