Is everyone happy with their Shingles vaccine?

MJKT2014

** My question is I see there is only a live Shingles vaccine available in Thailand called Zostavax that is only 50% effective? So has anyone (who needs it) got this done and think its worth it or is it better to just carry on using acyclovir 800mg pills as needed like a doctor told me and put up with the inconvenience from time to time? **

I am thinking I will go for a vaccine anyway, as what have I got to lose? Sometimes the small shingles sore appears on the edge of my eye lid by the eye lashes, feeling like I have dirt in the eye for a day or two until the acyclovir kicks in, and that is a worry as its close to my eyes. Sometimes there is a small sore on my chin and that seems less worrisome. Happens about 3 times a year.

I had chickenpox as a child when there were no vaccines for that, and now have the pleasure in old age of seeing shingles as a result.  When I went to one of the big hospitals on Sukhumvit with my first episode it took them three visits to declare the sore on my face to be shingles just by the look of it. They did not do any tests, if any are possible? They didn't seem to know much about it, is it a western affliction? They recommended acyclovir 800mg pills whenever the sore reoccurs and not to bother with a vaccine. The doctors fees for three visits cost more than the pills.

I read also there is a new non live vaccine called Shingrix which is 90% effective and lasts 10 years but for some reason it won't be in Thailand for years to come whereas its already in the west being used now. How can this be?

27 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

I read also there is a new non live vaccine called Shingrix which is 90% effective and lasts 10 years but for some reason it won't be in Thailand for years to come whereas its already in the west being used now. How can this be?

The reason is well known - the maker has not made it available to Thailand or much of the world as they can not even keep up with demand in USA at times.  

Yes I and Thai wife had the Zostavax a few years ago and believe it is well worth the cost (although we have not had shingles we both had the chicken pox in the 50's so much prefer to limit our chance).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

So has anyone (who needs it) got this done

Please tell me how I would KNOW that I need it? A vaccine is a prevention and not a cure.

And replying to Lopburi, I, and all my siblings and school friends, had chicken pox in the 50s. What is the chance I will get shingles.

18 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Approximately one-third of the U.S. population will get shingles

Thank God I am an Englishman living in Thailand.   PML

Same odds if you have the virus - and 95% of the population does.  Suspect you will have to drink even more of this than most Englishmen to get enough bergamot to have much effect on shingles.

image.jpeg.e841ab7591d84041e63ad7a60b6961cd.jpegimage.jpeg.4eb4eb598ce2ef09e85e17dee97cc35d.jpeg

Just now, lopburi3 said:

Same odds if you have the virus - and 95% of the population does.  Suspect you will have to drink even more of this than most Englishmen to get enough bergamot to have much effect on shingles.

image.jpeg.e841ab7591d84041e63ad7a60b6961cd.jpegimage.jpeg.4eb4eb598ce2ef09e85e17dee97cc35d.jpeg

HATE the stuff, tastes like drinking after-shave. Yorkshire Extra Strong for me. Cheers.

7 hours ago, stouricks said:

Please tell me how I would KNOW that I need it? A vaccine is a prevention and not a cure.

Afaik you don't know if you will need it and chances are higher if you had chickenpox as a child that you will after 60 years of age. I also understand even if you have had shingles already you can still receive shingles vaccine to help prevent future occurrences of the disease. I didn't know I was going to get shingles sores on my skin. I even showed them to a doctor and he didn't tell me how to cure them with acyclovir until the 3rd visit.

I am thinking on getting this 50% effective vaccine if that's all that's out there in Thailand and live with the remaining inconveniences.