Smokers beware! Crackdown means lighting up in public could get you a 5,000 baht fine

webfact

Smokers beware! Crackdown means lighting up in public could get you a 5,000 baht fine

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Thailand's authorities have continued their crackdown on smokers in the belief that the habit causes a risk of the spread of coronavirus. 

As the pandemic eases Daily News reported that a nationwide crackdown on smokers and sellers of illegal cigarettes is underway. 

Health officials and police yesterday raided shops in a flea market in Ramintra, Bangkok. Shops face fines of 50,000 baht for advertising and 20,000 baht for selling bootleg cigarettes. 

Seven members of the public were caught brazenly puffing away. 

All admitted wrongdoing and were fined - the fine is up to 5,000 baht. Daily News did not say what they actually paid. 

2pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Regulations enacted in 2017 are being employed to stop people smoking in public places. 

Last week passengers waiting for buses at Mo Chit 2 were fined. 

Health authorities have said that Covid-19 can spread far and wide on the smoke and besides smokers will not be wearing the obligatory masks. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-06-01

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ezzra said:

You didn't made your self clear enough, are you sure now?...

sorry, I did try to disguise my feelings on the subject, I clearly failed. Perhaps no one else noticed. 

5 minutes ago, bangsaenguy said:

If the virus can travel on smoke, I assume all the old buses will be paying a fine as well.

And how about flatulence? Surely the virus can take a ride on gas if it can on smoke.

Reminds me of an old Jasper Carrott sketch:

Smoker: Do you mind it I smoke?

Carrott: Do you mind if I fart?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, smedly said:

you're not getting it - dumbastheycome 

Thais generally don't get fined for stuff like this simply because they have no money to pay, in the current climate how many Thais do think got hit with fines for breaking lockdown/curfew rules ???????

They might be able to pay the odd helmet fine of 400baht but you think they would be fined 5k/10k/50k/100k baht - these fines are targeted at one group of people and they are not Thai

Breaking  curfew rules  or smoking ....people have been arrested. The majority of those e.g in Phuket have  been prosecuted already for curfew violations. No doubt "fines" or other applied would be relative  to pro rata circumstance.

Farang who regularly object to Thai disregard for law and get snapped for same need sympathy?

So what am I not getting ?

25 minutes ago, fruitman said:

So will they also crackdown on the polluted air in Thai cities? It's about time they start doing something!

Will they help feed Lithuanian babies?

I don't know and I do not care, that is not related. What I do care about is hopefully less smokers will be blowing their nasty smoke near others. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Now they are really pushing it way too far to say all smoking in public is against the law. As I understand the rules do not state it that way. Out in public in certain areas such as entry and exit ways etc and many out in public areas and venues like parks and markets etc. But out of the ways places no. open air bars should be fine as well. This government needs to go! 

The way I understand it, is a public building is none smoking you have to move more than 5 meters away to smoke thats the rule where our condo is