Gardening In Chiang Mai

Octaviousbp

I like orchids though. Orchids tend to not swamp you and your house alive. They mostly just sit there, don't mind not being watered or manicured twice daily (or, at all), sleep most of the year and then suddenly spring to life..

Any tips on getting orchids to flower? I sometimes buy the ones that hang on chains. They bloom briefly, but rarely again :) .

Also, where is best to buy flower seedlings/plants in pots?

Orchids are easy to grow and will bloom all the time provided you use the right combination of foods every week and water them frequently. If you go to the Agriculture Festival at Mae Jo which is coming up soon, you can talk with the growers who will advise you and sell you (cheap) all the different foods. We have many orchids and they are all healthy and are always blooming.

For plants, flowers, etc. Khamthieng Plant Market can't be beat. It's behind Tesco Lotus Khamtieng.

WaiWai the Mae Jo University Agriculture Festival was in December last year if I remember correctly. They had a huge billboard across from Meechok Plaza for several months before the event, but this year apparantly advertising funds are in short supply. I would ask around when the festival is. Many of the growers there are very well educated and speak fluent English. Many of them graduated from Mae Jo University. They will advise you on what to feed them and when and you can buy beautiful orchids for 20 Baht each as well as the foods.

I have no idea what Thaifan2 is talking about but he/she sounds like a disturbed individual.