how do you replace Utilities?

Andy from Kent

With an OP update  a few updates ago, I was surprised to find the Utilities application disappeared.      As the saying goes you never really appreciate something until you've lost it.       

I miss the utilities app and wonder what you've found to replace it?    I haven't found anything close to replacing it.

2 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

With an OP update  a few updates ago, I was surprised to find the Utilities application disappeared.      As the saying goes you never really appreciate something until you've lost it.       

I miss the utilities app and wonder what you've found to replace it?    I haven't found anything close to replacing it

I don’t remember an app called utilities. Was it Mac or iOS.

I have been using Macs since System 6 and iOS since 4.2

are you sure of the name and that it was an apple app.

I think that the Utilities Folder is an integral part of OS X as it contains many programs such as disk utility, and the Terminal interface.

Have you looked in the Applications Folder to see if the folder is still there? Maybe do a search using Spotlight as you may have just lost the icon.

Other than that, the only other thing  to do is re download the particular version of OS X that you have.

BACK UP your current data first though.

Or read this:  https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1305561

HTH

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 9:11 PM, phetphet said:

I think that the Utilities Folder is an integral part of OS X

The folder is, but the OP asked about an application, there hasn’t been an application by that name that I have ever heard of in about 30 years of Mac and iOS use 

but a search for “Terminal” “Disk Utility” or “Activity Monitor” should find those and where they are.

On 6/9/2020 at 9:11 PM, phetphet said:

I think that the Utilities Folder is an integral part of OS X as it contains many programs such as disk utility, and the Terminal interface.

Have you looked in the Applications Folder to see if the folder is still there? Maybe do a search using Spotlight as you may have just lost the icon.

Other than that, the only other thing  to do is re download the particular version of OS X that you have.

BACK UP your current data first though.

Or read this:  https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1305561

HTH

Thank you phetphet.    Yes I do have the "utilities folder".

But I posted incorrectly by calling it a Utilities app.        What I should have correctly called it was the Dashboard:

"Apple will permanently remove Dashboard in macOS Catalina".

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/4/18652971/apple-macos-catalina-dashboard-widgets-removed-feature

I could hardly believe it when I discovered the widgets were gone.      All the conversions and such at one's fingertips.   Weather,  stocks.   Vanished.      ????  ????

4 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

Thank you phetphet.    Yes I do have the "utilities folder".

But I posted incorrectly by calling it a Utilities app.        What I should have correctly called it was the Dashboard:

"Apple will permanently remove Dashboard in macOS Catalina".

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/4/18652971/apple-macos-catalina-dashboard-widgets-removed-feature

I could hardly believe it when I discovered the widgets were gone.      All the conversions and such at one's fingertips.   Weather,  stocks.   Vanished.      ????  ????

Well that is a program that I knew existed but never found much use for. However many/most/all of the things you are now missing can go into the notification centrer. There’s an App Store section for Notification Center widgets so you can load it up.