Corn Dogs

Clipped

Here's mine, take note of the cornmeal soak, its very hard here and needs to be soaked or you will end up with very crunchy corn dogs.

County Fair Corn Dog

1/2 cup yellow cornmeal

1/2 cup flour

1 Tablespoon sugar

1 teaspoon dry mustard

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup milk

1 egg, lightly beaten

1 Tablespoon melted shortening

6 hot dogs

6 skewers or sticks

Vegetable oil for frying

Combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, mustard, baking powder. and salt. Add milk, egg and shortening and mix until very smooth. Pour the mixture into a tall glass.

Place sticks in hot dogs

Lightly dust with flour

Then dip the dogs into the cornmeal batter, coating evenly. Deep fry in oil heated to 375 degrees until golden brown, about two minutes.

Let stand tall and brush with Ketchup and yellow mustard.

Note: The yellow corn meal here is quite hard, soak it in milk for at least one hour, drain and add to recipe.

LtLos

I never had a corn dog, and don't feel at all deprived, but shouldn't be hard to make:

http://www.recipeland.com/recipe/35601/

This is a common recipe, but the key to make it work is the dusting of the dog first to absorb any moisture, and also very important here, unless your familiar with corn meal, is that it is very hard and needs to be soaked. The funny part is this recipe has been copied for a very long time from one site about 8 years ago...anyway it works well. You should try one, they go great with a cold beer.

LtLos

Umm...well not sure where your at but the last time I looked there were about a hundred (I exagerate) different varieties of hot dogs here. From the over processed very pink to the bit more refined, to the finer pork blends that can be found at the more upscale markets....hot dogs in Thailand, surely not a problem to find....?...Where you at?

Umm...well not sure where your at but the last time I looked there were about a hundred (I exagerate) different varieties of hot dogs here. From the over processed very pink to the bit more refined, to the finer pork blends that can be found at the more upscale markets....hot dogs in Thailand, surely not a problem to find....?...Where you at?

I'm in Korat.

The more important question, though, is where I grew up. I grew up in Michigan, where when I was a child you could not buy Oscar Mayer or Armour or Ballpark or any other national brand of hot dogs. They did not meet the very strict Michigan law concerning what could be made into a hot dog. Only cuts of meat that could also be sold as something else- "skeletal muscle"- were allowed. I grew up on Eckhrich hot dogs made with Real Meat. The US Supreme Court ruled that the Michigan law restricted interstate commerce and could only be applied to hot dogs made in Michigan in the sixties sometime, IIRC. I will still barf if I try to eat a big brand name hot dog. I doubt I'll find a good hot dog here until I find the purveyor of halal meats in town. but then it won't have any pork in it. *sigh*

locally produced 'hot dog appearing' items such as are sold in packages or at the pork product counter at tescos are a disgrace to pork products. The only decent locally produced dogs that I've had are the ones that they sell cooked at 7-11 and they need to be high-dosed with condiments to be palatable...

corn meal is hard to find in Thailand; don't ruin yer corn dog with crappy local 'hot dogs'...get out de meat grinder and assemble de ingredients an' do corn sausages instead...(to be added to the 'to do' list when I get back to my kitchen in Suphan...92 days an' counting)

• 2 weeks later...

After reading this thread, I got the craving for some corn dogs. Used to buy them from a vendor in a super market parking lot, seven for a buck. Been a few years ago though.

I used the given recipe and a bag of Thai German Meat, hot dogs from Big C. They actually came out pretty good.I had a little trouble getting the coating to come out nice and even , but they still tasted good. Also had the satisfaction of knowing that they were the only ones in the area.

Since I had the oil hot anyway, I added chopped green onions to the left over batter,and made a tolerable imitation of hush puppy's. Good comfort food for a rainy day in the village. :o