Has anyone in here obtained a PR in Pattaya immigration?

FarangFB

1 hour ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

you sapeak thai ?  read & write ?

sing the national anthem ?

Basic speaking and reading, can't write properly. Can't sing. 

I thought these were for the Thai citizenship process. PR needs that too?

2 hours ago, FarangFB said:

Basic speaking and reading, can't write properly. Can't sing. 

I thought these were for the Thai citizenship process. PR needs that too?

Correct, I have PR.  Only speaking....  No need to know National Anthem. Just interview in Thai... About Pattaya I don't , did mine in BKK and as far as I know they all have to go to BKK. Best of luck.

I have PR and the interview in Thai is pretty simple stuff. E.g. What do you do? Where do you live? etc. No need to sing national anthem (needed for citizenship, I believe). Just get all the documents they require, submit them, and wait. I think you can only apply for PR at the main immigration department in Chaengwattana Road.

Not too many obstacles and I'm very glad I did it. No visa required (but annual endorsement required if you want to go abroad), no 90-day reporting. And, as has been witnessed over the last 10 years, it is becoming increasingly more difficult to stay here long term.

Edited by thaiowl
add to post
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, thaiowl said:

I have PR and the interview in Thai is pretty simple stuff. E.g. What do you do? Where do you live? etc. No need to sing national anthem (needed for citizenship, I believe). Just get all the documents they require, submit them, and wait. I think you can only apply for PR at the main immigration department in Chaengwattana Road.

Not too many obstacles and I'm very glad I did it. No visa required (but annual endorsement required if you want to go abroad), no 90-day reporting. And, as has been witnessed over the last 10 years, it is becoming increasingly more difficult to stay here long term.

Absolutely correct. Upon application it is just a matter of : wait, wait, wait.... Myself about 4.1/2 Yrs. Renewal of under investigation visa every 6 months, no hassle and free. 

Got mine, my wife's and 2 children's PR for a grand total of THB 500,000 Which included the official fees. Through an agent. Applied in 1998 and got mine in 1999. Wife and the kids got it the following year. No interview and no national anthem. I know it's a long time back probably not relevant to these times.

On 6/13/2020 at 5:10 PM, FarangFB said:

Thanks for the replies.

I wouldn't mind paying the 100k assuming that if I meet the requirements it's pretty much certain that I will get it. How long did the whole process take?

I started compiling the documents last summer, its a right pain in the ass.

An example of documents which are time consuming and expensive to get if you are based here and do not have someone to help you back in the home country:

1) original of the criminal record in English version : certified & official legalized in by the Royal Thai embassy in UK then translate into Thai and legalized by consular in Thailand.  

1) original of the education certificate in English version : certified & official legalized in by the Royal Thai embassy in UK then translate into Thai and legalized by consular in Thailand.  

My documents were submitted in October i believe, i had my 1st meeting with the immigration officer before Christmas. Was called in again to meet them in early February and did my final interview in March, which i believe is earlier than most years.

Interview was filmed. I was informed later that i had passed all requirements and the interview and now it is a matter of time until being given the PR.

They say it can take 1.5-2 years or more, so just time to forget about it and when it happens it happens.

People say they do it without a lawyer and all themselves. Personally seeing the document pile, and the clusterf**k that is Cheangwattana i would never even dream of doing it without an agent or lawyer.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, smutcakes said:

An example of documents which are time consuming and expensive to get if you are based here and do not have someone to help you back in the home country:

1) original of the criminal record in English version : certified & official legalized in by the Royal Thai embassy in UK then translate into Thai and legalized by consular in Thailand.  

1) original of the education certificate in English version : certified & official legalized in by the Royal Thai embassy in UK then translate into Thai and legalized by consular in Thailand.  

My documents were submitted in October i believe, i had my 1st meeting with the immigration officer before Christmas. Was called in again to meet them in early February and did my final interview in March, which i believe is earlier than most years.

Interview was filmed. I was informed later that i had passed all requirements and the interview and now it is a matter of time until being given the PR.

They say it can take 1.5-2 years or more, so just time to forget about it and when it happens it happens.

People say they do it without a lawyer and all themselves. Personally seeing the document pile, and the clusterf**k that is Cheangwattana i would never even dream of doing it without an agent or lawyer.

Ok that's the kind of information I was actually expecting here, I guess it will have to wait at least until the pandemic is over. What was asked in the interview? Is Bangkok the only place that can do these interviews?

Lol - a few years ago I was back in Canada and went to an RCMP detachment to ask about getting a Criminal Record check. They told me it would take 6 WEEKS to do !

I laughed at them and told them I knew that if I walked outside and threw a rock through the window of a cop car, they'd have my entire history on their computers in about 3 seconds and would know if I'd done anything "illegal" from the day of my 18th birthday until now.

But if I wanted a copy of that same history, it would take 6 weeks ?
Oh and despite having a "national database" that they can access from anywhere, you have to apply in your "home" district. So if I flew into Vancouver, I'd have to travel 460 kms to get to the detachment in my "home" area to get them to access the exact same information that the cops in Vancouver could do.

Education certificate ? As in High School Diploma ? As in, haven't seen mine in 40(ish) years and the school I attended hasn't existed for nearly 25 years ? 

Guess I'll never be applying for a PR then ! (Unless I make a trip to Khao San road beforehand..........)

What other documents were required aside from the Criminal Record check and "Education" certificate ? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FarangFB said:

Ok that's the kind of information I was actually expecting here, I guess it will have to wait at least until the pandemic is over. What was asked in the interview? Is Bangkok the only place that can do these interviews?

For the interview it is really basic questions, a list of which i had before i even went into the room.

1) Introduce yourself

2) Who is the King

3) Who is the PM

4) Why do you want PR

5) How do you stay healthy

etc

The actual interview is the easiest part.

Officially believe you can do PR from anywhere, however it all comes through BKK so essentially you are adding an extra link into the chain. In addition in some places knowledge of the PR process and desire to even both doing it will be lacking. Much better to do it through BKK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Lol - a few years ago I was back in Canada and went to an RCMP detachment to ask about getting a Criminal Record check. They told me it would take 6 WEEKS to do !

I laughed at them and told them I knew that if I walked outside and threw a rock through the window of a cop car, they'd have my entire history on their computers in about 3 seconds and would know if I'd done anything "illegal" from the day of my 18th birthday until now.

But if I wanted a copy of that same history, it would take 6 weeks ?
Oh and despite having a "national database" that they can access from anywhere, you have to apply in your "home" district. So if I flew into Vancouver, I'd have to travel 460 kms to get to the detachment in my "home" area to get them to access the exact same information that the cops in Vancouver could do.

Education certificate ? As in High School Diploma ? As in, haven't seen mine in 40(ish) years and the school I attended hasn't existed for nearly 25 years ? 

Guess I'll never be applying for a PR then ! (Unless I make a trip to Khao San road beforehand..........)

What other documents were required aside from the Criminal Record check and "Education" certificate ? 

Lots and lots, in duplicate and triplicate.

Color copies of every page of current and previous passports

Company affidavit among many other corporate documents

Official tax returns from previous 3 years

Photos of you in your house, bedroom, lounge etc

All having to be certified... A complete and utter ball-ache

Everything has to be dated within 3 months of submission date

You sure you can not get a police report requested online?

I got my police clearance record from the UK within 2 months. I think by law, the UK police have to send you the clearance record within 40 days of receiving the request.

My police clearance record and degree certificate were definitely not certified by the Thai embassy in the UK. They were, however, translated into Thai by a certified translator.

I did not use an agent but I did use my company's bookkeeper to get the various financial documents required (company financial statements, my personal income tax statements etc).

I also submitted DNA tests along with my wife and son.

There are lots of documents to get, but it's not too bad with a bit of help.

19 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Yes, I did it all by myself... Not such a drama... In my country the Criminal record, birth certificate, copy of Diploms, etc can be requested and obtained by email. Do not forget you need the same criminal record issued by Thai Authorities in this case the SDI. BKK, if I remember correctly not far from Chatuchak Market. Also you need a full Medical Certificate issued by a Government Hospital, in my case it was Police Hospital; Enjoy your waiting. Again no hassle upon acceptance. Myself 4.1/2 Yrs. Renewal Stamp in passport every 6 months under investigation. No queue as you go to PR desk and totally free. 

• Like 1

Trying to find a checklist of documents and the best I can get is "Contact your local Immigration Office" as each category of PR application has a different set of document requirements.

• Investment category: Have a minimum 3 Million Baht invested in a limited or public company in Thailand, a Thai state-issued security corp, Thai state enterprise’s security corp, or the Thai stock market.
  • Business Category: Have been an executive officer and a signatory of a business registered in Thailand with a capital of at least 10 million Baht for at least 1 year, and have earned at least 50,000 Baht per month for two consecutive years prior to submitting the application. This work must also be deemed as in an area of interest to the Thai economy.
  • Employment Category: Have earn at least 80,000 Baht per month for two consecutive years or filed a tax return for an annual income of 100,000 Baht or more for two consecutive years, having held work a permit for at least 3 consecutive years and worked at your current company for at least 1 year.
  • Humanity Category: Have been married to a Thai national, or be the parent or child of a Thai citizen.
  • Expert Category: Hold a Bachelor Degree or higher education and work in a role which requires him/her to work in Thailand for at least 3 consecutive years.

And of course, as we know, each Immigration Office will also have their own ideas on what is required and what isn't. 

Maybe I should become a "professional" refugee or Asylum Seeker. They seem to have it pretty good in a lot of countries. Not sure I'd try that in Thailand though. Might end up in a concentration camp with a bunch of Rohingya and Uighur refugees for a few years !

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Yes, I did it all by myself... Not such a drama... In my country the Criminal record, birth certificate, copy of Diploms, etc can be requested and obtained by email. Do not forget you need the same criminal record issued by Thai Authorities in this case the SDI. BKK, if I remember correctly not far from Chatuchak Market. Also you need a full Medical Certificate issued by a Government Hospital, in my case it was Police Hospital; Enjoy your waiting. Again no hassle upon acceptance. Myself 4.1/2 Yrs. Renewal Stamp in passport every 6 months under investigation. No queue as you go to PR desk and totally free. 

I forgot to mention, 1 more document they requested was a Certificate of National Service.. In my case also email. And everything translated and certified in Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Chang Wathana.