Marriage Visa And Procedure

i will be going to Udon in Oct to marry my long term girlfriend.is the procedure as follows after i obtain a Non Imm O visa from UK ?

1) get affirmation from British Embassy,

2) have it translated.

3)Get it authenticated from Consular Affairs in Chaeng Wattana Street,BKK,

4) find a registrar in Udon and tie the knot.

my questions are ;

a) when my wife has to show her house papers-does this mean that she shows the documents showing ownership of property.Her place is mortgaged and includes her name and her mums name on the paperwork which is held in the bank---is this acceptable ?

:o how long does 1,2,3,and 4 take ? is this fairly straightforward timewise ?

c) is there any advice or tips that someone can give me ?

d)Since i wish to move to be with my wife in LOS in three years,are there any steps i can take now to make it easier when the time comes?

a. House register is a blue passport size book that lists the occupants at the residence - it is not an ownership paper - normally people will stay on there original home register (for a lifetime) if they do not buy property - as mother and daughter have done this they probably are on a document for that location now. It along with ID card are the basic ID requirements for Thai.

b. With help it can be done in a day or two (believe UK embassy requires overnight to issue paperwork however). Normal would be obtain paper, have translation service do there thing and get it registered for you (probably next day without extra payment). In Udorn you just visit any District Office and register the marriage. Remember to have someone to translate for you if you do not speak Thai (not official but they might require they have a collage degree). Several witness also have to sign but you can usually buy lunch for someone to have them do this.

c. You will probably want to start a bank account

c. You will probably want to start a bank account.

Thanks Lopburi u are very helpful.I have a few more questions.

1)About the bank account.do u mean a joint account in Thailand ?

2)Is it better for my (soon to be wife) to take my name or keep hers or have a 'hyphon' as i have seen someone quote before.

3)In three years when i have saved enough money and i try to apply to stay in Thailand with my wife.....will i need up to date Uk tax records and evidence of a company paying me ? At present i get paid by cheque each week (and can easily cover the 40k baht limit-more like 100k baht) and i sort my tax out every couple of years when i get motivated. i just wanted to know..what is the procedure for showing evidence of income ? Since i work basically for one company and they pay me by cheque..i do not have regular transfers from a company.is this a problem ?

4)I work with a phone and computer and can work anywhere in the world as long as the line is good.I know when i go to LOS i will probably be doing the same job.I think i will need a work permit.Do you have any tips or advice re: permit,tax,smooth sailing?

there is no need to be of concern regarding getting legaly wed in thailand with regards to house papers etc,

you have clearly got it right about procedures regarding getting married,ie,affirmation from embassy then wattana,but only and only when you do tie knot in udon or antwhere else for that matter in thailand you only need to produce your future wifes family papers and nothing more at your local amphur, good luck

He will most surly have to produce his passport and freedom to marry certificate and it is most likely be checked with MFA. The wife will have to have her paperwork in order and if below age family approvals. Most will want a translator if you do not speak Thai as you have to sign a legal document in Thai and really should know what they have written on it. Several witness have to sign but can normally be office workers. It is a simple process if all paperwork is in order but without freedom to marry it will be a dead end.

1. It would be good to establish and obtain wire transfer information in case of emergency and for later use. Be sure that each has ability to withdraw funds (they also can make where both have to sign). At some point you will probably also want to make a wire transfer agreement with your home back to allow you to make wire transfers on-line or by phone or fax (different banks process differently).

2. Wife can take your name, keep hers or perhaps use the hyphen. Normal is to take your name and most Thai would be more comfortable with that procedure.

3. Things could change greatly in three years but at present the important thing is letter from your Embassy to certify you have such and such a monthly income. What, if anything, your Embassy requires can only be answered by them. Tax records would probably be accepted by immigration if they questioned the Embassy letter.

4. There is no current provision so any such setup would be a work around approach but expect there will be something set up in next few years. Better to ask that again when time is closer.