Building requirements

craighj

Hi there

Does anyone have a simple list of the steps to build a house in Thailand?

Things like,

1. House plan

2. Permits required

3. Engineers draws, concrete slab, roof structure

4. Electrical engineers drawing power

etc, etc, etc

Craihj

I believe it depends on where you intend building. I have built 4 houses on the land I live on, the local authority didn't want to know, I think they actually said "up to you".

So I drew up my own house plans, there were no permits required, As far as electrical goes, I simply walked around the house with the electrician and drew on the walls what I wanted. Job done, I doubt all provinces will have this attitude so best to check before spending heaps of money.

• Like 1

Hi, as the previous poster said, it depends where you live, but I hear from some locals in my wife's village that there are now new rules regarding building even in the countryside. 

You must now show a plan in the local ampur for approval, much like the rules already in place in larger towns and cities. 

I know this, because a Thai family member had already almost completed his single storey dwelling, when he was advised to put a plan in for approval. 

He quickly sketched a rough plan and submitted it in the nearest town, and it was passed with no issues. 

Of course, if you live in a bigger town or city, then this will have always been the case, only with a lot more scrutiny involved. 

So, you will need a plan. 

So first stop will be an architect, armed with a list of your own preferences and requirements. 

Next, if you hire a builder to oversee the complete project, he should also deal with any planning bureaucracy, included in his fee. 

Recently in our province they have got stricter and all off what you list.

Once you have plans go to your local province office for approval to build.

The main things for us was distance from main road. 

The type of front of building roof design they want to see just looks.

Colour of roof. 

Electric earthing and earthed system was a bit crazy but we did it anyway otherwise they wouldn't pass it as habitual .

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

I had a builder build a house for me A few kilometres outside Mukdahan some years ago, although based on my design.  We own some land across the road from that house and we are looking to build something for my son.

I’m told that the regulations vary a little based on the size, over 150 square meters requires signed architectural draws that need to be approved by local authorities.

Anyway it will no doubt be an interesting project.

Thanks again

Craighj

3 hours ago, JWRC said:

I believe it depends on where you intend building. I have built 4 houses on the land I live on, the local authority didn't want to know, I think they actually said "up to you".

So I drew up my own house plans, there were no permits required, As far as electrical goes, I simply walked around the house with the electrician and drew on the walls what I wanted. Job done, I doubt all provinces will have this attitude so best to check before spending heaps of money.

Certainly  by me this  was the case, was told 3  km from main road, do what you  like. I  live out of any main town in the country Prachuap Khirikhan.