Total Of Days Allowed

This has been touched upon, but I've never seen a decisive resolution: I've visited twice since December 6th, using a total of 41 days with visa on arrival both times. What are my options now? With US Passport, may I get a 60-day Tourist Visa in the states and stay that long, or does the 41 days count against me, putting me over the 90 day stay in any 180 period? Is another 30-day Visa on arrival my best bet, and is a 15-day extension something that is still available? This would keep me at under 90 days, although my true desire is to come for 60 days, and maybe getting a 30-day extension. It is for pleasure only. Anyone?

This has been touched upon, but I've never seen a decisive resolution: I've visited twice since December 6th, using a total of 41 days with visa on arrival both times. What are my options now? With US Passport, may I get a 60-day Tourist Visa in the states and stay that long, or does the 41 days count against me, putting me over the 90 day stay in any 180 period? Is another 30-day Visa on arrival my best bet, and is a 15-day extension something that is still available? This would keep me at under 90 days, although my true desire is to come for 60 days, and maybe getting a 30-day extension. It is for pleasure only. Anyone?

Any stay with a visa are not counted towards the 90 days within 180 which are only for non visa stays.

If you enterred Thailand for the first time after October 1 on December 6, your 6 months(180 days) block 'should' end on 6 May.

After 6 May you should be able to stay 90 days without visa (each entry max 30 days)

Any stay with visa is in adition to those

Some border immigration offciers count differently but the above is what has been reported as the most common way to calculate the days.

Having a visa is the safest way not to have problems at the borders

Any stay with a visa are not counted towards the 90 days within 180 which are only for non visa stays.

If you enterred Thailand for the first time after October 1 on December 6, your 6 months(180 days) block 'should' end on 6 May.

After 6 May you should be able to stay 90 days without visa (each entry max 30 days)

Some border immigration offciers count differently but the above is what has been reported as the most common way to calculate the days.

Thanks! In the same vein, showing a r/t ticket is needed when I apply for the 60-day Tourist Visa. Should the return be at the 60-day mark, or am I taking a chance by having the return leg commence on the 90th day?

Thanks! In the same vein, showing a r/t ticket is needed when I apply for the 60-day Tourist Visa. Should the return be at the 60-day mark, or am I taking a chance by having the return leg commence on the 90th day?

Application for a TV will depend on the Embassy/Consulate. Some ask for a ticket some don't. As the visa will be valid for 3 or 6 months depending if it is a single or more entries, I would not worry too much on the return date as it will sepend on which date you actualy enter from which date you will gte 60 days stay

Application for a TV will depend on the Embassy/Consulate. Some ask for a ticket some don't. As the visa will be valid for 3 or 6 months depending if it is a single or more entries, I would not worry too much on the return date as it will sepend on which date you actualy enter from which date you will gte 60 days stay

I wish I were not so dense, but.... 1. Seems having a 60-day TV and an open return ticket is perfect for my needs. 2. Or could I get the TV, and have a firm return date (cheaper) at the 88 or 89 day mark? And for sure - my 41 days in country so far with Arrival Visas are not an issue?

Just did a update on the 90day rule

1. You are permitted up to 90 days on visa exemption entries in a six month period.

2. The six months starts from your first entry after Oct 1st last year.

3. The period is fixed it does NOT roll.

4. If you try to enter within 30 days of the end of your 6 months you may only be permitted to stay until the end of the period NO MATTER HOW FEW OF YOUR 90 DAYS YOU'VE USED.

5. Once your first 6 months is over a new period starts and you will be able to do a border run and return with a full 30 day stamp,which is NOT a Tourist Visa as many think .

6. Example for six month period : 1.10.06 to 31.3.07 , re-enter with visa exempt on 1.4.07 , or 28.10.06 to 27.4.07, re-enter with visa exempt on 28.4.07 .

Laos trip : Office and Holiday Schedule for Year 2007 of the Thai Embassy and Consulate.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/about_officetime.html

If you are not sure about the days you have spend already in the country please pm me and give following specific and complete information.

Example:

1. Entry @ Airport 11.10.06 , exit @ Ban Laem 9.11.06, 30days, visa exempt

2. Entry @ Ban Laem 9.11.06, exit@ Mukdahan 8.12.06, 30 days, visa exempt

Enter @ Mukdahan 9.12.06 , exit @ Ban Laem 6.2.07 , 60days, Tourist Visa

extent in Thailand at any Immigration Office for 30days , THB 1,900.-, extension until 7.3.07 .

3.Entry @ Ban Laem 7.3.07 ,permission to stay until 5.4.07 , 30 days , visa exempt

Immigration will allow this person back into the Country with a 30day visa exempt stamp on 11.4.07.

This person has now two possibilities .

A: Get another Extension (THB 1,900.-) for 7 days at the Immigration and re-enter Thailand on the 11.4.07 with a 30day visa exempt stamp to start a new SIX-MONTH period with 3x30days border runs .

B: Apply on/before the 5.4.07 for a new Tourist Visa.

It is recommended that you apply for the extension at the Immigration Office.

A Tourist Visa will be extended for 30days .

Extension of a Visa exempt stamp and any Non Immigrant Visa will be granted for 7 days only

You can convert the 30day visa exempt stamp to a Non-Immigrant Visa by going to the Immigration Department with the proper documents and 21 day stay remaining, meaning you have up to 9 days time after your entry. Application fee THB 2,000.- .

Please note that your Passport need to be valid for at least another 6 month for any Visa application.

Further info on MFA webpage : http://www.mfa.go.th/web/12.php

All Embassies/Consulates in SEA will issue only Single Entry Tourist Visas.

Please be reminded to apply for a Re-entry permit before you leave during your stay on a Tourist Visa , otherwise your Visa is considered cancelled.

UPDATE , Travellers who arrive without a Visa

are required to show a outbound Air Ticket

proving that they will depart within 30days .

THE ALIENS ENTERING KINGDOM WITH NO VISA MUST PRESENT TICKET OR TRAVEL DOCUMENTS THAT HAVE BEEN PAID ALREADY OR CONFIRMED TO EXIT THE KINGDOM

AND MUST NOT EXCEED 30DAY UPON THE DATE OF ENTRANCE TO THE KINGDOM.

1. You are permitted up to 90 days on visa exemption entries in a six month period.

4. If you try to enter within 30 days of the end of your 6 months you may only be permitted to stay until the end of the period NO MATTER HOW FEW OF YOUR 90 DAYS YOU'VE USED.

5. Once your first 6 months is over a new period starts and you will be able to do a border run and return with a full 30 day stamp,which is NOT a Tourist Visa as many think .

6. Example for six month period : 1.10.06 to 31.3.07 , re-enter with visa exempt on 1.4.07 , or 28.10.06 to 27.4.07, re-enter with visa exempt on 28.4.07 .

Laos trip : Office and Holiday Schedule for Year 2007 of the Thai Embassy and Consulate.

If you are not sure about the days you have spend already in the country please pm me and give following specific and complete information.

Example:

extent in Thailand at any Immigration Office for 30days , THB 1,900.-, extension until 7.3.07 .

3.Entry @ Ban Laem 7.3.07 ,permission to stay until 5.4.07 , 30 days , visa exempt

Immigration will allow this person back into the Country with a 30day visa exempt stamp on 11.4.07.

A: Get another Extension (THB 1,900.-) for 7 days at the Immigration and re-enter Thailand on the 11.4.07 with a 30day visa exempt stamp to start a new SIX-MONTH period with 3x30days border runs .

Extension of a Visa exempt stamp and any Non Immigrant Visa will be granted for 7 days only

You can convert the 30day visa exempt stamp to a Non-Immigrant Visa by going to the Immigration Department with the proper documents and 21 day stay remaining, meaning you have up to 9 days time after your entry. Application fee THB 2,000.- .

Please note that your Passport need to be valid for at least another 6 month for any Visa application.

Please be reminded to apply for a Re-entry permit before you leave during your stay on a Tourist Visa , otherwise your Visa is considered cancelled.

THE ALIENS ENTERING KINGDOM WITH NO VISA MUST PRESENT TICKET OR TRAVEL DOCUMENTS THAT HAVE BEEN PAID ALREADY OR CONFIRMED TO EXIT THE KINGDOM

A couple of clarifications:

Point (2) - is the six-month period fixed April through Sepember and October through March, or is it variable, dependent on your first entry in these six-month blocks? Is it date dependent, or revert to the beginning of a calander month?

Point (4) Are you saying that stamp entry days will be awarded up until the end of the six-month block (dependant on answer above in turn), regardless of days resided in that particular block hitherto?

:o

Example:

Point (2) - is the six-month period fixed April through Sepember and October through March, or is it variable, dependent on your first entry in these six-month blocks? Is it date dependent, or revert to the beginning of a calander month?

Point (4) Are you saying that stamp entry days will be awarded up until the end of the six-month block (dependant on answer above in turn), regardless of days resided in that particular block hitherto?

:o

The 6 month period depends on YOUR first entry in LOS after October 1 2006 and is an individual date for each traveller.

The number of days you receive when you enter within 30 days of the end of your block depends on the immigration officer. Some have reported getting the full 30 days and some only the remaining days and being told to do another run to re-strat a new 6 month block

Note that some reports that some immigratsion officers rollover the 6 month blocks but most reports point to fixed 6 months blocks as described.

For extended periods in LOS a TV would make things easier. If coming for a string of week-end breaks TVs would be a burden.

Example:

:D

The 6 month period depends on YOUR first entry in LOS after October 1 2006 and is an individual date for each traveller.

The number of days you receive when you enter within 30 days of the end of your block depends on the immigration officer. Some have reported getting the full 30 days and some only the remaining days and being told to do another run to re-strat a new 6 month block

Note that some reports that some immigratsion officers rollover the 6 month blocks but most reports point to fixed 6 months blocks as described.

For extended periods in LOS a TV would make things easier. If coming for a string of week-end breaks TVs would be a burden.

What a load of toss then - I have to make sure which day I fly on my October trip, regardless of number of days in Thailand between now and then, or I will face just being issued a couple-of-days stamp and a <deleted> off smile! :o

So this means you can't enter Thailand on a visa exempt stamp with a return dated say 80 days hence on the basis you will do the necessary PERMITTED border runs to get you second and third VE stamps.

I know all this is reported as happening at land border points but have they also instigated such a check at Suvarnabhumi or do they rely on the airlines checking for a valid visa if flying to BKK on a one way ticket?

This knackers my end of contract plan of doing a series of visits around the region using Thailand as my base as I would be arriving on a one way ticket and then for each subsequent entry would be using the return half of each ticket. I suppose I could just use a fully flexible KUL to BKK return, keep changing the dates and throw it away if not ultimately needed but it means I always have to travel with that ticket on me.

PhilHarries,

They didn't require an outbound ticket from me at the airport when I came in on the 9th using the 30 days visa exempt although I did have a copy of a confirmed reservation with me when I went. Tiger Airways certainly made no check of a thai visa in my passport in Singapore either when I used a one way ticket to return.

However, that doesn't mean it might not change in the near future. Probably erring on the side of caution and having a ticket would make sense. I would just make sure it was one that would be fully refundable.

Edited by vermin on arrival

I just returned from Thailand this past Tuesday (17 April), having obtained my fourth stamp on arrival within the last 6 months. The last entry stamp was good for 30 days. Thus the remarks (from VisaRunner) in Item 4 above is NOT correct.

BTW, my first entry stamp was awarded on 16 October, 2006, which is a couple of weeks into the new-regulations era. All of my entries into Thailand took place at Suvarnaboom Airport (BKK).

Edited by Gumballl

I just returned from Thailand this past Tuesday (17 April), having obtained my fourth stamp on arrival within the last 6 months. The last entry stamp was good for 30 days. Thus the remarks (from VisaRunner) in Item 4 above is NOT correct.

BTW, my first entry stamp was awarded on 16 October, 2006, which is a couple of weeks into the new-regulations era. All of my entries into Thailand took place at Suvarnaboom Airport (BKK).

Another proof that the rule is applied differently at different bordersd and by different officers.....

Not easy to plan ahead. Better have a TV when possible

If you entered on October 16th your six month period ended on April 15th so you are now in your second six month period and on your first entry of that period. Your experience does not prove item 4 of visarunner to be wrong.

If you entered on October 16th your six month period ended on April 15th so you are now in your second six month period and on your first entry of that period. Your experience does not prove item 4 of visarunner to be wrong.

I entered Thailand on April 12th and left on the 17th. The entry date was before my 6 month period had concluded.

Unfortunately all it proves is you were not challenged on the six month thing. There has never been any limit on the number of entries - only on the total days not to exceed 90 total. Item 4 of visarunner post clearly says "may" only get the remaining days; as many exceptions have been reported.

Unfortunately all it proves is you were not challenged on the six month thing. There has never been any limit on the number of entries - only on the total days not to exceed 90 total. Item 4 of visarunner post clearly says "may" only get the remaining days; as many exceptions have been reported.

Will this work? I have decided to go (US Passport) on the basis of getting my 3rd Arrival Visa in this 6-month period. I plan to base my R/T ticket purchase on the assumption of getting a 7-day extension, for a total of 37 days. With my 41 days already used, I'll be under the 90. Is 7 days the only extension available (no 14?) and is the 7 (or 14) a routine procedure? Please weigh in. thx

Why have you changed your mind? You said the 60 days of a tourist visa fit your plans so would highly advise getting a tourist visa and not have to worry about getting on the aircraft. The only extension of a 30 day entry possible is for a maximum of 7 days. If you are worried about buying ticket before you obtain visa I do not believe Consulates normally require the ticket for US passport holders prior to issue of a tourist visa. If your travel is in the May-June period you could also run into the "new" six month period and for some that has resulted in less than a 30 day permitted to stay stamp.

Why have you changed your mind? You said the 60 days of a tourist visa fit your plans so would highly advise getting a tourist visa and not have to worry about getting on the aircraft. The only extension of a 30 day entry possible is for a maximum of 7 days. If you are worried about buying ticket before you obtain visa I do not believe Consulates normally require the ticket for US passport holders prior to issue of a tourist visa. If your travel is in the May-June period you could also run into the "new" six month period and for some that has resulted in less than a 30 day permitted to stay stamp.

Well, it's important that I be there in the next 10 or so days - and unfamiliar as I am with the TV - will play it safe this time. So I can schedule my ticket for the 37 days, you think?

The 'may' is the anoying part when you are trying to plan an arrival or an extended week-end at the end of your 6 months block better be prepared to get either the remaining days or the full 30 days depending on the officer in front of you.

Better still get a TV in that case

It is not the rules which are difficult it is the different ways they are implemented by different officers for the same rules.

This forum is a great source of information so that we can try to plan according to the possible different interpretation of the rules.

Well, it's important that I be there in the next 10 or so days - and unfamiliar as I am with the TV - will play it safe this time. So I can schedule my ticket for the 37 days, you think?

If your ticket is requested at check-in or at immigration (very rare) it should be within 30 days of your arrival date if you arrive without a visa

Precisely what happened to me - first entry since new rules was 9th Oct 06, my "new" period therefore began 9th April. I (luckily) entered on the 13th April, passport annoted with "first time in this period" under the 30-day stamp. I originally planned to come on the 4th, but stayed in UK for Easter. Had I not changed my ticket, I would have been a one-man psycotic whirlwind at immigration, possibly causing temporary closure of the airport! :o

Edited by bkkandrew

Report from Pedang Besar border (train) - the girl in front of me in the qeue had her first entry to Thailand in November, stayed 20 days, second entry in February, 15 days. They would only give her 13 days, and told her to go somewhere else for the rest of the time to her flight back home (from Bangkok) on the 16th of May. These guys where obviously genuine tourists and got quite pissed off (all the time acting very nice with the officers though), wondering why they couldn't have a 30-day stamp when they had not spent 90 days in Thailand in a six month period. So she (and boyfriend with same stamps) decided to go to Cambodia for the rest of their stay and return to Thailand only for the flight. Lost tourist dollars for Thailand, earned tourist dollars for Cambodia.

So obviously, no rolling block there, but fixed 6-month block from day of first entry, no exceptions.

Report from Pedang Besar border (train) - the girl in front of me in the qeue had her first entry to Thailand in November, stayed 20 days, second entry in February, 15 days. They would only give her 13 days, and told her to go somewhere else for the rest of the time to her flight back home (from Bangkok) on the 16th of May. These guys where obviously genuine tourists and got quite pissed off (all the time acting very nice with the officers though), wondering why they couldn't have a 30-day stamp when they had not spent 90 days in Thailand in a six month period. So she (and boyfriend with same stamps) decided to go to Cambodia for the rest of their stay and return to Thailand only for the flight. Lost tourist dollars for Thailand, earned tourist dollars for Cambodia.

So obviously, no rolling block there, but fixed 6-month block from day of first entry, no exceptions.

Well....thanks to all for their input. My questions have been resolved. I decided on 60-day Tourist Visa, with an open ticket - the itinerary has my return date at 60-days noted. I believe I can obtain a 30-day extension at an Immigration office. The ticket is open till Nov. Is there more I could conceivably do with this original 60-day TV? (USA Passport)

Just for future reference, what is the BEST border to go to on a Visa Run? I'll be in the BKK-Pattaya area, but might go to wherever the "best" is!

Well....thanks to all for their input. My questions have been resolved. I decided on 60-day Tourist Visa, with an open ticket - the itinerary has my return date at 60-days noted. I believe I can obtain a 30-day extension at an Immigration office. The ticket is open till Nov. Is there more I could conceivably do with this original 60-day TV? (USA Passport)

Just for future reference, what is the BEST border to go to on a Visa Run? I'll be in the BKK-Pattaya area, but might go to wherever the "best" is!

choices for border runs currently seem to be "bad" or "worse". the cambodian border is not far from the pattaya/jomtien area but the problem seems to be there are so many group tour buses going there they have begun to require proof of onward travel/air ticket within 30 days. which might not fit in with your travel plans. the klong yai checkpoint maybe one exception i'm not yet sure. your remaining options are to hop on a bus for a marathon ride across the country to another checkpoint on the myanmar border or travel to a thai consulate in a neighboring country to get another tourist visa. "unforgettable thailand" you won't forget the hassle. :o

Klong Yai Checkpoint (ban had lek)

Amphoe Khlong Yai

Changwat Trat

Pong Nam Ron Checkpoint (ban laem)

Amphoe Pong Nam Ron

Changwat Chanthaburi

Aranyaprathet Checkpoint

Amphoe Aranyaprathet

Changwat Sa Kaeo

note: changwat (province) amphoe (district) tambon (sub-district) moo-ban (village)

Edited by cali4995

This is ludicrous. My 2nd 6th month period starts now in April 07 and thus will end in October 07. If I chose to enter Thailand sometime in September 07 I will be kicked out of the country in October 07 having used only a few weeks of my 90 days? This is crazy.

This is ludicrous. My 2nd 6th month period starts now in April 07 and thus will end in October 07. If I chose to enter Thailand sometime in September 07 I will be kicked out of the country in October 07 having used only a few weeks of my 90 days? This is crazy.

If you don't visit Thailand before then (Sept) your 6-month window will begin when you enter the country next. It is not a fixed period.