Bus stop in Si Sa Ket to be removed after thumbs down from locals

webfact

Bus stop in Si Sa Ket to be removed after thumbs down from locals

By The Nation

800_21967719d625c4b.jpg?v=1592111361

A bus stop with modern design in Si Sa Ket province will be removed as the locals think it is not practical and is a waste of the national budget.

The bus stop has seen heated debate online after its photos were posted on the Internet. Netizens complained that it could not keep out the sunlight.

Sarawut Songsivilai, director-general of the Department of Highways, said that the newly built road left four metres on the side, which is not enough to build a full-sized bus stop that requires at least 6.25 metres. So the modern bus stop was built occupying only 2.5 metres.

However, an order has been issued to remove the bus stop as several people have complained that it is useless. He said the new design will focus on practicality and the surroundings will also be decorated for visual satisfaction.

A bus stop had stood at that spot for over 10 years before it was brought down by a storm. Locals have demanded a new bus stop.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30389609

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-15

3 minutes ago, webfact said:

Netizens complained that it could not keep out the sunlight.

The shelter can protect from sunlight, you just have to be first in line for the prime position at the far left or far right end of the shelter depending on what time of day it is.  You might need to manoeuvre around the pillars as the sun moves as well.  

It's better than nothing.  

10 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

So what are they going to do ? Waste even more to tear the new bus stop down and then build a new one in the same spot.

Yes. Doing it again and doing it right costs/hurts but is not a waste.

The waste is this useless self-fullfilment of some "designer"/"architect"?

Just seen that very similar bus stops exist in Bangkok.

They might be appropriate as there is simply no room at roadside for a proper construction with a roof and benches.

But in the middle of nowhere it's just absurd.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

What a strange act, to destroy something that has already been built because someone thinks it was a waste of money. How much is it going to cost the taxpayers to destroy it now? Verses leaving it or maybe giving it a little makeover to make it more appealing to the locals?

1 hour ago, edwinchester said:

Nice that it has wheelchair access but I wonder how many buses that stop there are also suitable for wheelchairs?

Yep, exactly what i was thinking, complete with hydraulic ramp.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

that the newly built road left four metres on the side, which is not enough to build a full-sized bus stop that requires at least 6.25 metres. So the modern bus stop was built occupying only 2.5 metres.

So why didn't they build it 4 mt. sorry that would be logic forgot where i was for a minute. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, torturedsole said:

The shelter can protect from sunlight, you just have to be first in line for the prime position at the far left or far right end of the shelter depending on what time of day it is.  You might need to manoeuvre around the pillars as the sun moves as well.  

I saw it on the TV news this morning which gave a far better perspective. The thing is unnecessarily high, looks well over 3 metres, and would give very little protection for sun or rain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yup some city designer knew best and got this loser of a bus stop

built. Build the old fashion shelter that has benches and the large overhanging

eaves, they are effective, so why the new design anyway.  Stupid cannot be

cured and this is another shiny example.

Geezer

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

The old style bus stops were designed like they are for a reason. The large roof provided protection from the sun and the rain

and often used by more people than those waiting for a bus, people on motorbikes often use them during heavy downpours 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, torturedsole said:

Or take an umbrella, and sit still?

Bus stop? star

They seem to stop where and when they like, where I am. Not only that, near me, there's a guy who has set up his sowing machine stall in one.am

Motorbike taxis rest in them too. But I guess when the schools kick off again, the stops will get busier.

58 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

Bus stop? star

They seem to stop where and when they like, where I am. Not only that, near me, there's a guy who has set up his sowing machine stall in one.am

Motorbike taxis rest in them too. But I guess when the schools kick off again, the stops will get busier.

That's really selfish. Why does he not set up his sowing machine  in a rice field where it will be more useful?

• Haha 1