How Long Can I Stay

I want to retire in Thailand. However, there's a problem. I do not have the 800,000 baht, maybe half of that. My monthly pension from the Government is 36,000 baht. I cannot work because I am disabled. I have my own medical insurance so I won't be a burden on the Thai economy.

So, the question is what Visa do I need to get and how long can I stay? I am still fighting the Government for the rest of my disability pension and my military retirement, but it could still be years away. I do know that I cannot afford to live in the US any longer and frankly don't care to.

I also do not have a Thai wife or any prospects at this point.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Brian

You must be 50 years old. The requirement is a monthly income of 65k or 800k in bank or combination of the two. So if you are short 65k -36k = 29k x 12months = 348k in bank account. That is only approximate as they might use 800k as the basis and work from that but at any rate you would seem to qualify for retirement extension of stay if you do here in Thailand.

You must be 50 years old. The requirement is a monthly income of 65k or 800k in bank or combination of the two. So if you are short 65k -36k = 29k x 12months = 348k in bank account. That is only approximate as they might use 800k as the basis and work from that but at any rate you would seem to qualify for retirement extension of stay if you do here in Thailand.

Age is not a problem. I plan to move in September and I turn 50 in July.

So, the question is what Visa do I need to get and how long can I stay?

So it would seem you can just manage the funds to get an annual extension once in Thailand.

You should apply for a Multiple entry Non Imm O visa (reason "to investigate retirement possibilities) which allows you multiple entries to Thailand for 1 year, each entry allows a stay of 90 days.(Do not confuse it with a Non Imm O-A visa)

Your funds must be in a Thai bank for 3 months prior to application for the 1 year extension and you must get proof from your embassy of your pension. So towards the end of your second entry of 90days you can apply for your 1 year extension which will remove the need for you to leave the country every 90 days.

Hopefully if the law doesn't change and your income and funds remain the same you can stay in Thailand forever by extending your visa annually.

So, the question is what Visa do I need to get and how long can I stay?

So it would seem you can just manage the funds to get an annual extension once in Thailand.

You should apply for a Multiple entry Non Imm O visa (reason "to investigate retirement possibilities) which allows you multiple entries to Thailand for 1 year, each entry allows a stay of 90 days.(Do not confuse it with a Non Imm O-A visa)

Your funds must be in a Thai bank for 3 months prior to application for the 1 year extension and you must get proof from your embassy of your pension. So towards the end of your second entry of 90days you can apply for your 1 year extension which will remove the need for you to leave the country every 90 days.

Hopefully if the law doesn't change and your income and funds remain the same you can stay in Thailand forever by extending your visa annually.

How many times can I make a Visa run for 90 day extensions?

How many times can I make a Visa run for 90 day extensions?

You can visa run as many times as you wish but must enter the last time before the expiry date of the visa (which is 1 year after date of issue).

So for 4 visa runs (one every 90 days)you can get 15 months in Thailand