Lining Paper - Is there such a thing?

canerandagio

Hi,

As part of the refurbishment of my condo I would like to put on lining paper.

I am quite ignorant on the matter, but I have a vivid recollection that - when I did my London property - I had the choice of:

- Leaving the walls bare.

- Put on wallpaper.

- Put on lining paper.

Am I right? Nobody I talk to here in BKK seems to understand the concept of lining paper, so I am doubting of my own memory.

Is there such a thing as lining paper in the UK? And in Thailand?

I want the walls, which are a patchwork of solid, plaster, and very thing cardboard like material to be looking as bare as possible, so no wallpaper... but I think the bare walls painted without lining paper would be showing too many of the imperfections due to wiring for lights etc, hence my attempt to cover them with 'lining paper'.

Please can someone advice how I should proceed, as I am quite in the dark on this matter.

Also, a recommendation on where to find the paper and who could in put it up would be great.

Thanks!

There is such a thing. You can buy it in different thicknesses/densities depending on how imperfect the walls are.

If you are lining the walls prior to wallpapering, and you have the skills then apply the lining paper horizontally around the room rather than vertically. It saves on labour.

I doubt lining paper would be readily available in Thailand though.

8 hours ago, blackcab said:

There is such a thing. You can buy it in different thicknesses/densities depending on how imperfect the walls are.

If you are lining the walls prior to wallpapering, and you have the skills then apply the lining paper horizontally around the room rather than vertically. It saves on labour.

I doubt lining paper would be readily available in Thailand though.

Thanks. Do you think it's a good idea to have only the lining paper, painted white?

11 hours ago, canerandagio said:

Do you think it's a good idea to have only the lining paper, painted white?

No, not in my opinion. I think it would be an expensive exercise that could go very wrong. Hanging wallpaper is not a skill many Thai people have, so you would be lucky to get a good result where the seams are invisible. Unless you can hang the paper yourself that is.

It would probably be considerably cheaper and a whole lot easier to have your walls repaired then painted white. If you want a textured look, research different types of paint roller.

• Like 1