European study links genes, blood type with risk of severe coronavirus infection

sirineou

Interesting article this morning, that I thought I should share  Below is a synopsis of my takeaway , full article at:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/17/health/coronavirus-genes-blood-type-study/index.html

A team of European scientists say they have found two genetic variations that may show who is more likely to get very sick and die from coronavirus, and they say they have also found a link to blood type."

"Our genetic data confirm that blood group O is associated with a risk of acquiring Covid-19 that was lower than that in non-O blood groups, whereas blood group A was associated with a higher risk than non-A blood groups, "

"They found people with Type A blood had a 45% higher risk of becoming infected than people with other blood types, and people with Type O blood were just 65% as likely to become infected as people with other blood types. "

"We detected a novel susceptibility locus at a chromosome 3p21.31 gene cluster and confirmed a potential involvement of the ABO blood-group system in Covid-19," they wrote. And two places in the genome were linked with the risk of developing respiratory failure. "

" The researchers cannot say if blood type is a direct cause of the differences in susceptibility. It might be that the genetic changes that affect someone's risk also just happen to be linked with blood type,"

Edited by sirineou
typo :
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That is until you or me, with 0-, needs blood in Thailand. We are a rare species. 

There's more O- in Thailand than you think, than I thought too, if your desperate for a pint give us a call, it's mighty old and may come with a frothy head on it also, but hey, beggars cannot be chosers.

• Haha 2

This  the  kind of research Ive been  looking for as  more is  known, then we can see what the REAL  cause of  spread and death rates  were  rather  than mass hysteria with face  masks distancing and lockdown along with other issues  such as why countries  like Thailand have escaped the worst of it and Europe  has had a  lot  more  problems.

Im an O blood  type  the  most  common  type.

21 hours ago, vogie said:

There's more O- in Thailand than you think, than I thought too, if your desperate for a pint give us a call, it's mighty old and may come with a frothy head on it also, but hey, beggars cannot be chosers.

What's  the  main bood type  in Thailand then do  they have the blue  blood  here or  maybe green  like Spock????

Ok  found it  here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_distribution_by_country

Edited by bodga

3 hours ago, bodga said:

What's  the  main bood type  in Thailand then do  they have the blue  blood  here or  maybe green  like Spock????

Ok  found it  here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_distribution_by_country

Research has shown that people that are born with the O Neg blood group are indeed the wisest of all humans on earth, this is because our ancient ancestors once bred with the Roman and Greek gods. Despite our blood type being the rarest on earth we never ever look down on the people who were born with common blood, I know they are not as intelligent as us, but that is not their fault that they were born with an inferiour blood type.

It has been speculated that when our demise finally arrives we will join our ancestors the gods at mount Olympus and not go where it would be possible for our blood group to be contaminated by others with a not so pure blood group.????