Tree danger-of falling down

notrub

We had a few fairly substantial trees that were on our property when we bought it.  We cut down what we needed to before we built our house and left the rest.  It is very nice and compared to the endless rice fields everywhere else it is a bit of a tree sanctuary.  However, there are a couple very near our house and I wonder about their stability.  Some trees have tap roots and some do not, from what I can gather.  The tap root variety are less likely to be blown down, I would have thought.  

Attached are a couple of pictures of a tree near our house.  Can anybody comment, please. about whether this variety of tree is stable in a wind or not?  Also, could it be a solution to tie back the tree with steel cables?   I would like to keep the tree if possible but not if it is likely to come crashing through our roof during a storm (obviously).  Thanks in advance for any comments.876186921_treeIMG_20200619_113253851.thumb.jpg.9ae906793c8b23aa04b7fbef67ad1545.jpg

IMG_20200619_113329650.jpg

As well as an export timber source, the wood is graded as first (highest) category in Cambodia. It is a very hard timber and is used to make columns, bridges, sleepers, and for other various construction purposes.[4] Exposed in the open, it may last 10–15 years, though if indoors it may last 50–60 years. The resin, from the trunk, is used to make torches, while the bark is part of a malaria remedy. The tree is the most preferred source of firewood in some areas of Kompong Chhnang Province, Cambodia.[8]

The above from Wiki ,the tree is Shorea Obtusa,  Dton Mie Teng in Thai ,I would say it would be a stable tree should not be a problem in  strong wind, should have strong tap roots . 

But, tell that to the Thai's if they think it will come down in a storm they will chop it down. 

We had one of these trees literally break in half this year was at least 20m in height, located just outside our property, surprised me, it happened during the worse storm/winds for many, many years, a nearby old mango tree was stripped of 90% of its branches in the same storm. Should be fine unless you get a real freak storm as we did.

Why is the tree forked at the base? Did someone cut it down and then let it regrow? I nthat case, this probably isn't a stable tree. 

I would also check to see if there are holes caused by birds going after insects, which would be a sign of unhealthy wood inside the tree. Any resiny substances visible on the trunK. Bad sign also.

You could indeed connect the two stem using a steel cable, principle is easy to understand but it can be difficult to do from a ladder / harness. Don't stretch the cables taut, they need to be able to move, don't have the cable in direct contact with the trunk (various ways of doing this).

• Like 1

The tree is leaning towards the house. Stable or not it will continue to grow and the issue get worse. If you have ever had to rig up three or four block and tackles to force a tree to fall against gravity, it is not easy and always risky. Introduce cracking or storm damage and that gets infinitely worse. Get rid of it and plant something smaller that will never reach the house if it falls. If that is a slow grower then think about planting bananas and papaya around the new tree, fill the space for a few years and yield some fruit.