PM Prayut offers condolences to family of man who dies in quarantine

webfact

PM offers condolences to family of man who dies in quarantine

Prayuth-File-Photo2.png

Thailand’s Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has expressed his condolences to the family of a Thai man who died from suspected heart failure while quarantined in a state facility.

Defence Ministry spokesman Lt-Ge Kongcheep Tantravanich said today that the Prime Minister also ordered the Police Hospital to identify the exact cause of Mr. Pongsak Kidkha’s death and instructed officials to help to his family with funeral arrangements in his home town, in Chum Puang district of the northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima.

Mr. Pongsak arrived from Japan on June 9th and entered state quarantine at a hotel in Bangkok, during which he underwent two tests, which both returned negative results for COVID-19. According to doctors, Mr. Pongsak suffered from heart problems, but had enough medication to last the 14 days in quarantine.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/pm-offers-condolences-to-family-of-man-who-dies-in-quarantine/

thaipbs.jpg

15 minutes ago, scorecard said:

This brings an obvious question as to what monitoring takes place on a daily basis, what facility is there for those in quarantine to contact the facility admin. people* and is it 24/7, and what medical arrangements are in place when a medical emergency happens?

Seems convenient that there are no details anywhere near these subjects in the PBS media report. 

(*I'm in a wheel chair, if I fell out of the wheel chair or fell down when i'm trying to transfer from my chair to the shower chair or transfer from my chair to the bed etc., then I could not get up alone, I would need urgent help.)

Good question, there should be doctors on site IMHO. Also enough is being paid for this so it should be more then just a hotel for quarantine with nothing more. 

On the other hand in your case you might need to pay extra as you would be a special case (no insult meant). I mean if this really is something that could realistically happen with a high degree of chance.

Maybe some kind of panic button or keeping the phone close.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, robblok said:

Good question, there should be doctors on site IMHO. Also enough is being paid for this so it should be more then just a hotel for quarantine with nothing more. 

On the other hand in your case you might need to pay extra as you would be a special case (no insult meant). I mean if this really is something that could realistically happen with a high degree of chance.

Maybe some kind of panic button or keeping the phone close.

Thanks, actually I have tried to discuss these points with the Thai Health ministry (administers the quarantine activity). Total waste of time, and not a language issue this department has plenty of advanced English speakers but of course speaking directly to anybody close to policy making etc., not available. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

Every hotel room has a phone.......... Most people have a cell phone.  Call reception or 1669....if you can.  Personal Emergency buttons hung on a necklace can be got in Oz,  my mum had one for the last several years of her life. Would imagine same here. 

• Like 1

In the West they issue a panic button that is around your neck at all time.

My Mum slipt off the toilet & unfortunately broke her hip, which due to her condition was unrepairable.

But without the panic button she may have gone unnoticed for hours in pain

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Every hotel room has a phone.......... Most people have a cell phone.  Call reception or 1669....if you can.  Personal Emergency buttons hung on a necklace can be got in Oz,  my mum had one for the last several years of her life. Would imagine same here. 

Yes there is technology which can help, my Thai son bought a clear plastic pouch with a string which hangs around my neck, and it hangs on a peg within the shower cubicle, phone is never across the room etc., it's always well charged and I check frequently that I haven't mistakenly turned it off or cancelled the ring tone or similar.

Edited by scorecard

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Defence Ministry spokesman Lt-Ge Kongcheep Tantravanich said today that the Prime Minister also ordered the Police Hospital to identify the exact cause of Mr. Pongsak Kidkha’s death

That about sums it all up then. Go about your business now.