Thai Culture Question

sunshine13

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one of the boys at work here said to me a while back 'gin naam prik tuay gao mai arroy', or, 'if you eat naam prik from the same bowl its not delicious any more - boring'.

i suggested he change the recipe every now and then. the naam prik is only as delicious as the ingredients going in to it. worth thinking about fellas.

brilliant- i've heard that too and now i have a response to give other than flustered annoyance.

i don't think men understand it so well though, they would prefer to have a chameleon who changes into a different girl all the time. i don't think love has much to do with it, unfortunately!

OP i do wonder though (honestly), if you are wanting a mia noi, why did you bother getting a wife?

one of the boys at work here said to me a while back 'gin naam prik tuay gao mai arroy', or, 'if you eat naam prik from the same bowl its not delicious any more - boring'.

i suggested he change the recipe every now and then. the naam prik is only as delicious as the ingredients going in to it. worth thinking about fellas.

brilliant- i've heard that too and now i have a response to give other than flustered annoyance.

i don't think men understand it so well though, they would prefer to have a chameleon who changes into a different girl all the time. i don't think love has much to do with it, unfortunately!

OP i do wonder though (honestly), if you are wanting a mia noi, why did you bother getting a wife?

Because a mia noi wouldn't have been a mia noi with a wife out of the picture :o

on this forum it seems to be accepted that the majority of thai men are unfaithful and have women on the side and visit dens of prostitution.

I would like to do the same but I am not sure what the customs are in thai culture?

do i just do it, and not tell her, inwhich case she doesnt mind. in other words, is it something that goes on beneath the surface?

do i have a responsibility to let her know that i am ready to start setting up mia nois and do i have to run the financial figures by her since thai women control the expenses?

how many mia nois is one allowed to have and what are the rules? how many times a month can i see them?

thanks and please dont delete this as i know its a sensitive subject. give it 24 hours atleast to see what responses come as i am confused on how to act.

Approach her wearing a full kevlar bodysuit, re-inforced with high tensile steel and a layer of titanium, surrounded by 12 Navy Seals, 20 Wing Chun Grand Masters and the entire cast of the WWF for good measure....and you "might" live :o

I know of a woman whose father is the president of a large corporation and has at least three wives. The additional wives were chosen by his registered wife. The decision of taking additional wives was based on the advice of a maw-doo. Keep in mind that these are Chinese-Thais. Their arrangement seems to work out for them because the entire family approve and are involved.

In the OP's case, I would suspect that after his wife has fed his family jewels to the ducks, and cleaned the knife, he might then need to start thinking about looking to be a mia noi himself.

[Edit - spelling correction]

Edited by AmeriThai

Put you feet on her shoes..You may understand how she feels

Anyway,If i were your wife and I would like to do what you are thinking right now ..

I would think like this

"Oh ..lovely .. this fat farang husband is so boring. I think i 'd go out with younger guy.Who cares my old farang hubby.I know many people in this world cheat on thier partner hence i want to do the same.If i add myself in the list ,who will know that.I just keep my affair as a secret .Let my old fat farang hubby make more $$ ,so i can go out with hot a hot boy."

Spot on Bambina :

cant stop laughing Chok-de-khap

I know of a woman whose father is the president of a large corporation and has at least three wives. The additional wives were chosen by his registered wife. The decision of taking additional wives was based on the advice of a maw-doo. Keep in mind that these are Chinese-Thais. Their arrangement seems to work out for them because the entire family approve and are involved.

In the OP's case, I would suspect that after his wife has fed his family jewels to the ducks, and cleaned the knife, he might then need to start thinking about looking to be a mia noi himself.

What is a maw-do? Why does this seem to be more prevalent with Chinese-Thais? How old is the man & how old are his wives? Thanks

Should I bring her a gift before talking to her or any customery foods? Is this subject discussed in the recent lonely planet?

I asked my wife about this and she said cooking equipment would be a good gift to give before discussing the subject. A heavy duty frying pan and a set of good quality chef knives.

What is a maw-do? Why does this seem to be more prevalent with Chinese-Thais? How old is the man & how old are his wives? Thanks

Maw-do in this case is some one who does feng-shui.. he might advise the man to have a bigger family tree.Most chinese like to have lots of children as to pass down the family name in which case the more boys the merrier as girls will change their family names once they get married. The registered wife will allow him to get mia noy cos she doen't want to have more children any more and hence pass the task to the mia noys and she get more help in serving the husband. But this is the norm in the 60's and 70's where the man can AFFORD to raise 2 or more families. Providing everything like food ,clothes and educations etc etc but not flirting around like butterfly with no comitment.I understand this cos im 1/2 chinese who comes from such a family..

i do't want to get too far into my personal situation, but a similar topic was raised between me and my wife, and she said she doesn't know how she would feel until after the fact.

i've stayed faithful, but there was a point where marriage really started to bore me. i'm glad now that i was a good boy.

(edit grammar fix...)

Edited by mrt273nva

I am not going to bring it up because its her 19th birthday and we just celebrated by 59th birthday and its been really good moods lately and we are soul mates. i will try to wait and see if i can due with out the mia nois, but since its thai culture, i dont see what the big deal is... why should only the thai males be allowed them? this is my first marriage and soul mate so maybe i am a fish out of water.

CHOKE-DEE-THAI-VISA-KRAP

Why do I keep coming back to this & why am I replying again & thus validating this sad little tale? Anyone know a good psychiatrist that deals with TV addiction (specifically troll fetishes??) :o

Anyway, a couple of things: Sunshine, you don't write like a 59 yr old, you write like someone in his 20's. I wonder if the 40 year age difference between you & the missus is calculated to wind some people up?

Also, if you want to screw around on someone, for whatever reason, any reason under the sun - NEWSFLASH - they aren't your soulmate!!!

Aaah, feel better, now. :D

i say sunshine should go for it. then we can all sit back and watch and laugh at his tale of woe -

my 19 year old 'soul mate' left me...woe is me...

all i did was go out and get me a bit on the side...woe is me...

i wanted my cake and eat it too...woe is me...

now the bit on the side doesnt want me any more...woe is me...

now im a sad old man...woe is me...

pulease sunshine. a 40 year age difference! jeez. its a bit too 'anna-nicole' for my liking! if i were her, i would be the one out looking for a saami noi! who would want a 59 year old when there are plenty of young virile blokes around who are more than likely gonna last longer than a 59 year old? (pun intended)

1.) Blacklabel pretty well explained what a maw-do is. I'lll add my generalization as well by saying a maw-do is essentially a fortune teller who advises you about what to do about your present circumstances and the future.

2.) Plural marriages tend to be more prevalent with Chinese-Thais because some of them are in a better financial position to afford setting up multiple households than many ethnic Thais can afford to do. There are also social views today that differ from the past. There are also changing social viewa that differ.

3.) The man I mentioned old enough to have grandchildren. His wives, though younger than he, are getting up in their years as well.

The advantage of that particular plural marriage arrangement is such that all wives and children are financially secure and take their relationship quite seriously. Although they live in different houses, they live close together and have all shared in the raising of all the children. The girl I knew considered all of them as her mothers with one being her birth mother.

Historically, Thais practiced plural marriages. But today, things have changed and polygamy is a practice for the upper crust who can afford it. Sure, there may be some exceptions, but not many. I'd guess from the middle class down, most of the mia nois really aren't. I'd be inclined to think it's more that guys butterfly from flower to flower rather than actually setting up additional households and families.

Anyone know if poor Thais practiced polygamy in the distant past during the Kingdoms of Ayuttaya or Sukhothai?

To summerize it, this man is the founder of a large Thai corporation and is extremely well off financially. He can afford it. The plural marrage, even though only one wife is the legal wife (as far as I know), is based on their ethnic heritage and cultural belief that they take seriously.

There are exceptions to having more than one wife, mainly if all parties agree to it. But personalities should regard each other as part of the family without clashing.

The OP's post raises a lot of red flags in my opinion. If he has to ask such a question about mia nois, then I doubt he knows anything about Thailand and Thai life, and probably couldn't afford a mia noi in the first place. Maybe he should just stick with trips to the massage parlors. Even then he could run the risk of being spotted by the uncanny 'radar system' many Thai wives seem to possess.

I think the OP is either a troll or someone with a fantasy. If not, he might want to hide everything with a sharp edge on it. There might be some hungry ducks waiting for a small snack.

I am not going to bring it up because its her 19th birthday and we just celebrated by 59th birthday and its been really good moods lately and we are soul mates. i will try to wait and see if i can due with out the mia nois, but since its thai culture, i dont see what the big deal is... why should only the thai males be allowed them? this is my first marriage and soul mate so maybe i am a fish out of water.

CHOKE-DEE-THAI-VISA-KRAP

The "big deal" is that you aren't a Thai, and it appears don't really know much about Thai life if you have to ask about it here. I'd be careful about fooling around. Your 19-year-old wife might kick your 59-year-old butt. If she can't then there's always her brothers, cousins, uncles, dad, neighbors, etc.

1.) Blacklabel pretty well explained what a maw-do is. I'lll add my generalization as well by saying a maw-do is essentially a fortune teller who advises you about what to do about your present circumstances and the future.

2.) Plural marriages tend to be more prevalent with Chinese-Thais because some of them are in a better financial position to afford setting up multiple households than many ethnic Thais can afford to do. There are also social views today that differ from the past. There are also changing social viewa that differ.

3.) The man I mentioned old enough to have grandchildren. His wives, though younger than he, are getting up in their years as well.

The advantage of that particular plural marriage arrangement is such that all wives and children are financially secure and take their relationship quite seriously. Although they live in different houses, they live close together and have all shared in the raising of all the children. The girl I knew considered all of them as her mothers with one being her birth mother.

Historically, Thais practiced plural marriages. But today, things have changed and polygamy is a practice for the upper crust who can afford it. Sure, there may be some exceptions, but not many. I'd guess from the middle class down, most of the mia nois really aren't. I'd be inclined to think it's more that guys butterfly from flower to flower rather than actually setting up additional households and families.

Anyone know if poor Thais practiced polygamy in the distant past during the Kingdoms of Ayuttaya or Sukhothai?

To summerize it, this man is the founder of a large Thai corporation and is extremely well off financially. He can afford it. The plural marrage, even though only one wife is the legal wife (as far as I know), is based on their ethnic heritage and cultural belief that they take seriously.

There are exceptions to having more than one wife, mainly if all parties agree to it. But personalities should regard each other as part of the family without clashing.

The OP's post raises a lot of red flags in my opinion. If he has to ask such a question about mia nois, then I doubt he knows anything about Thailand and Thai life, and probably couldn't afford a mia noi in the first place. Maybe he should just stick with trips to the massage parlors. Even then he could run the risk of being spotted by the uncanny 'radar system' many Thai wives seem to possess.

I think the OP is either a troll or someone with a fantasy. If not, he might want to hide everything with a sharp edge on it. There might be some hungry ducks waiting for a small snack.

Thanks for the reply. In my opinion there may be valid reasons for such an arrangement and probably best if one can obtain all parties agreement and understanding. Unfortunately, this is often difficult. The alternative is often messy divorces of which both parties, man & wife wind up losers, financially & emotionally or continuing an unsatisfying relationship.

on this forum it seems to be accepted that the majority of thai men are unfaithful and have women on the side and visit dens of prostitution.

I would like to do the same but I am not sure what the customs are in thai culture?

do i just do it, and not tell her, inwhich case she doesnt mind. in other words, is it something that goes on beneath the surface?

do i have a responsibility to let her know that i am ready to start setting up mia nois and do i have to run the financial figures by her since thai women control the expenses?

how many mia nois is one allowed to have and what are the rules? how many times a month can i see them?

thanks and please dont delete this as i know its a sensitive subject. give it 24 hours atleast to see what responses come as i am confused on how to act.

No, by all means you should tell your wife. As an someone from a more sophisticated and educated culture, you should at least give her the information she needs to seek regular medical checkups for STDs and of course HIV, which she might unwittingly pass on to any children you both might have. Something that of course a Thai husband would not even take into consideration.

I don't understand why any farang would want to tell his wife, especially a Thai, that he has a woman on the side. Can the OP please appraise me of any sense or advantage in this?

Edited by qwertz

I don't understand why any farang would want to tell his wife, especially a Thai, that he has a woman on the side. Can the OP please appraise me of any sense or advantage in this?

This is a troll post; it's just for fun. I know plenty of farangs that play on the side. Of course they don't tell their wives.

No, by all means you should tell your wife. As an someone from a more sophisticated and educated culture, you should at least give her the information she needs to seek regular medical checkups for STDs and of course HIV, which she might unwittingly pass on to any children you both might have. Something that of course a Thai husband would not even take into consideration.

good point but the assumption that thai males are not safe does not apply across the board in my experience.