Change Non-ED to Non-B / work permit

Good day,

currently I am on a Non-ED (aka student visa) which expires at 28 October.

I also have a valid multiple re-entry permit.

Today I was talking with HR of my future employer in Thailand.

They said it is not possible to change the Non-ED visa to Non-B and then apply for a work permit.

Is this really true?

They suggested I wait until border runs are possible and leave Thailand, invalidate or cancel the ED-Visa and

get a 30 day stamp in my passport. After that it can be changed into Non-B and then used for issue the work permit.

How to cancel / invalidate my Non-ED since I have a re-entry permit already?

Help is appreciated, thanks and greetings.

it is not possible to change non immigrant visa categories at immigration.

The problem is that the Department of Employment would not accept a application for a work permit with a non-ed visa or extension of stay based upon attending school.

If they would do it you could possibley apply for an extension based upon working after your current extension is canceled.

• Thanks 1

Hello UJ, thanks for your prompt reply.

Now I understand it better. Still, the HR department seems to be rather unaware of the whole process.

How can I cancel my Non-ED visa to an appropriate visa / entry stamp?

And will this be possible without leaving the country or will I have to wait until the border is opened?

A am sure non-ed visa expired long ago. You are now on a extension of stay issued by immigration.

You could only cancel your current extension of stay with a letter from the school and you would normally have to leave the country on the same day it is canceled.

You would have to leave the country and then re-enter the country visa exempt or apply for non-b visa at a embassy or consulate.

• Thanks 1

It's not related to the topic but this shows again how backwards and far from modern immigration rules this country is.

I guess any western nation or even China you could easily change a student visa into any permission to work.

But here one must do this nonsense with leaving or entering the country while it might just a small adjustment to the process such as the law and immigration computer system.

Shows once again that foreigners, expats or immigrants are not important to the rulers of this country.

Meanwhile they should be thankful for all the foreign investment and tourism, otherwise this would still be a 3rd world country with agriculture as economic backbone and not different from Laos or Myanmar.

• 2 months later...
On 6/24/2020 at 5:44 PM, ubonjoe said:

A am sure non-ed visa expired long ago. You are now on a extension of stay issued by immigration.

You could only cancel your current extension of stay with a letter from the school and you would normally have to leave the country on the same day it is canceled.

You would have to leave the country and then re-enter the country visa exempt or apply for non-b visa at a embassy or consulate.

Hello UJ,

any advice what can I do now? Other than leaving and re-enter the country with 14-day ASQ?

HR asked immigration officially, the said changes of current extensions of stay without leaving the country only apply for teachers.

In my case, immigration recommended I should either leave and re-enter the country or get a letter from the German Embassy (which they don't issue anymore)

25 minutes ago, CLW said:

HR asked immigration officially, the said changes of current extensions of stay without leaving the country only apply for teachers.

I think that might be a mix up with changing a visa exempt entry or tourist visa entry to a non immigrant visa.

If you were able to do a application for work permit immigration would change the reason for your extension.

25 minutes ago, CLW said:

In my case, immigration recommended I should either leave and re-enter the country or get a letter from the German Embassy (which they don't issue anymore)

Have you checked with the embassy recently. They may be doing them now.