Nokia N95 - Is This A Fair Deal?

steffi

Can anybody comment on whether this deal is particularly bad.

I've been offered 10,000 trade in value towards a N95 for my like new condition (ie. well protected) black N80.

That would mean the price for the N95 would be 18,900

Thing is they are using the list price for the N95. How heavily discounted is it in Bangkok at the moment?

It's almost unheard of to be selling at the small shops for list price. List being 28,990 thb

Can anybody tell me what the vendors at MBK are selling N95's for?

I've been offered 10,000 trade in value towards a N95 for my like new condition (ie. well protected) black N80.

Thing is they are using the list price for the N95. How heavily discounted is it in Bangkok at the moment?

It's almost unheard of to be selling at the small shops for list price. List being 28,990 thb

31,990 THB at Jaymart. MBK shops usually undercut Jaymart by 15% but this figure can vary based on availability and "newness" of the particular model. At MBK I've found it best to walk around and look for the wholesale shops (evident by stacked piles of phone boxes, floor to ceiling) as these are where the counter shops go to get your phone anyway. You get the same price and save time as well.

I can check on the N95 pricing at MBK tomorrow.

Yes that would be good. Here in Khon Kaen the dealers are selling the phone for list price which is 28, 990 thb. Not sure how anybody can charge more than that right now. The phone I saw today did look real in so far as it had original box with all the things inside that come with the phone.

31,990 THB at Jaymart. MBK shops usually undercut Jaymart by 15% but this figure can vary based on availability and "newness" of the particular model. At MBK I've found it best to walk around and look for the wholesale shops (evident by stacked piles of phone boxes, floor to ceiling) as these are where the counter shops go to get your phone anyway. You get the same price and save time as well.

I can check on the N95 pricing at MBK tomorrow.

do you think the N80 should fetch more? It's an older phone than the N73 but it has more features. I was told new N80's were selling for 16500? I that about right?

My N95 was 31000bht in Tukcom pattaya and I was offered 10000bht for my N73.

:o

do you think the N80 should fetch more? It's an older phone than the N73 but it has more features. I was told new N80's were selling for 16500? I that about right?

I think they are priced about the same now. :D

Well parted with my N80 today and picked up a N95. They did 10k thb for tradin on the N80 and did the N95 for 28k thb so all in all it wasn't too bad. N80's new seem to be selling for around 16,500 thb here.

Did you guys who picked up the N95 get one with a thai keyboard or english only?

Well parted with my N80 today and picked up a N95. They did 10k thb for tradin on the N80 and did the N95 for 28k thb so all in all it wasn't too bad. N80's new seem to be selling for around 16,500 thb here.

Did you guys who picked up the N95 get one with a thai keyboard or english only?

both. :D

Yeah that's the one I got. BTW: Did you find a two piece plastic protective case for it yet? I found one which is of very cheap plastic which will suffice for now but the top plate doesn't fit perfectly IMHO.

both. :D

Steffi, I assume you have given the N-95 a good test drive by now. I have an N-80 that I'm very happy with but would upgrade to the N-95 if/when better GPS maps are available. In any case I'm interested in the speed. How does it compare with the N-80?

It is noticably faster than the N80. I'm happy with my decision to trade up from the N80.

It's significantly more responsive.

Steffi, I assume you have given the N-95 a good test drive by now. I have an N-80 that I'm very happy with but would upgrade to the N-95 if/when better GPS maps are available. In any case I'm interested in the speed. How does it compare with the N-80?

It is noticably faster than the N80. I'm happy with my decision to trade up from the N80.

hrmm.. might have to bite the bullet and get me one of these too then... perhaps Nokia fixed the speed issues w/ their phones? [N73 here I need to get rid of...]

MBK is selling N95's for 29,000+ thb at the moment which is a little high. You'd expect them to be undercuting AIS and co. Anyway, you can find them for 26,990 at the phone shops on the food center floor at Big C Rajadamri. That's the lowest price I've seen in Thailand so far. Yesterday I even saw a shop in MBK drop theirs on the floor but it seemed to hold up quite well. I'd recommend a silicone case over the hard plastic as I've already seen the later scratch my phone. MBK has silicone cases avaliable. They are sold unbranded in clear plastic bags for either N95 or N83 models.

hrmm.. might have to bite the bullet and get me one of these too then... perhaps Nokia fixed the speed issues w/ their phones? [N73 here I need to get rid of...]

was at tukcom in pattaya just,

was purely being nosey and asked about the price of the N95 ( i bought a new phone about 2 months ago so dont need a new phone yet) and girl told me 27000TBH

FWIW, I spend a lot of time pricing phones for people. I can't tell you how many times "the girl said 27,000 THB", and when the sales process moves to the next step the phone is suddenly "not available". This is true at the counter-style shops. At a wholesale shop, with box in hand, the price is usually quoted accurately. Having said that, one of these 30k 'phones' represents a huge boost in daily revenue (turnover), and the seller doesn't even have to float any money, so they may take a 500 THB margin just for 5 minutes work.

was at tukcom in pattaya just,

was purely being nosey and asked about the price of the N95 ( i bought a new phone about 2 months ago so dont need a new phone yet) and girl told me 27000TBH

FWIW, I spend a lot of time pricing phones for people. I can't tell you how many times "the girl said 27,000 THB", and when the sales process moves to the next step the phone is suddenly "not available". This is true at the counter-style shops. At a wholesale shop, with box in hand, the price is usually quoted accurately. Having said that, one of these 30k 'phones' represents a huge boost in daily revenue (turnover), and the seller doesn't even have to float any money, so they may take a 500 THB margin just for 5 minutes work.

yeah considering the girl had 4 n95's in boxes and i was holding a 5th one i would assume that if had of pulled 27k out of my wallet i would be walking away with it