Scientists just beginning to understand the many health problems caused by COVID-19

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, johnpetersen said:

Yes. He changed his mind because of the accumulation of evidence that wearing a mask is a very powerful way not to contract covid. There's nothing wrong with changing your mind in the face of new evidence. In fact, what's wrong is not changing it.

That's not correct.  He has gone on the record and made a few interviews saying he said that because he did not want supplies to run low.  He blatantly lied when he said masks were not needed.  There's plenty of video out there of him admitting this.

starts at about 1:30 or so.  Alhough earlier in the video is a good watch.  He says basically masks don't work near as well as distancing.

Edited by steelepulse
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

So on the 28th Feb Dr Fauci states:

"This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza"

This article was published on the 28th Feb. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

The on the 11th March, Dr Fauci states: 

"Fauci said COVID-19 is at least 10 times “more lethal” than the seasonal flu." This was on 11th March, he obviously changed his mind.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/top-federal-health-official-says-coronavirus-outbreak-is-going-to-get-worse-in-the-us.html

First off he certainly expressed no certainty about the consequences of covid being akin to those of a seasonal flu. 

As new evidence accumulated he came to the conclusion that COVID-19 is more lethal than a seasonal flu. He's a scientist. He's supposed to weigh the evidence. It's ideologues and cranks who refuse to change their minds even if it means inventing conspiracy theories or immoral motivations to justify their obduracy.

Edited by johnpetersen

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

So on the 28th Feb Dr Fauci states:

"This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza"

This article was published on the 28th Feb. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

The on the 11th March, Dr Fauci states: 

"Fauci said COVID-19 is at least 10 times “more lethal” than the seasonal flu." This was on 11th March, he obviously changed his mind.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/11/top-federal-health-official-says-coronavirus-outbreak-is-going-to-get-worse-in-the-us.html

Not necessarily a change of mind. First he spoke of a „severe“ seasonal influenza, then of a „seasonal flu“ without mentioning „severe“. Quite different things, quite different consequences.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Are we sure he's a scientist?  He's been in politics for the majority of his life as a figurehead through a number of different presidents.  Seems he's an entrepreneur getting in on a number of patents, as well as being a politician.

There I think we can agree, his contradictions are now rendering whatever he says useless. He is however a very well recognized scientist https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Fauci

Edited by Bkk Brian
link

6 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Are we sure he's a scientist?  He's been in politics for the majority of his life as a figurehead through a number of different presidents.  Seems he's an entrepreneur getting in on a number of patents, as well as being a politician.

You have a point there.

He also was the one paying the Wuhan lab near that market, where it was said that SARS-CoV-2 started, tryIng to make corona viruses more dangerous. That was after such research became illegal in the US, and he could’t continue there, so he outsourced it. I don‘t know if they were successful though. 

Edited by yuyiinthesky

17 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

That's not correct.  He has gone on the record and made a few interviews saying he said that because he did not want supplies to run low.  He blatantly lied when he said masks were not needed.  There's plenty of video out there of him admitting this.

starts at about 1:30 or so.  Alhough earlier in the video is a good watch.  He says basically masks don't work near as well as distancing.

Well, what he's saying goes against most of the latest research.

1 minute ago, yuyiinthesky said:

You have a point there.

He also was the one paying the Wuhan lab near that market, where it was said that SARS-CoV-2 started, tryIng to make corona viruses more dangerous. That was after such research became illegal in the US, and he could’t continue there, so he outsourced it. I don‘t know if they were successful though. 

Ssshhh.  Some people on the forum would say this is a conspiracy theory and would give you a time out for saying such things, even though the money trail and various reports prove this. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Maybe you should actually do a little bit of research about his career:

In 2003, the Institute for Scientific Information stated that from 1983 to 2002, "Fauci was the 13th most-cited scientist among the 2.5 to 3 million authors in all disciplines throughout the world who published articles in scientific journals".[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Fauci

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

He is absolutely true that masks don't work nearly as well as distancing . If you stay in your house and i stay in mine , no way i'm going to get C-19 . Masks provide better then nothing protection , but is in no comparison to distancing . I am absolutely a fan of wearing masks ( in these times ) , since you can't be in house all the time , but when possible i avoid other people close by as much as i can .

18 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Various reports from a number of "non approved sources" say he basically piggybacked others work and took credit.  When was the last time he was actually practicing and seeing patients on a regular basis and not being a political mouth piece?

He's a scientist, not a practicing physician.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

another wet dream for big pharma & hospitals

a patient for life

still think this is from a silly bat ?

Oh really ... no it's 5G signal which came from a flat earth .

Big pharma wet dream ? Every company is trying to find something , costing billions , and no certainty at all there is any payback . All other research is now on hold or very low priority .

Hospitals , private hospitals maybe , but many are public hospitals , they don't make lots of profit .

And virus do exist , billions of them . Sometimes when the right person comes in contact with the right animal which carries the right virus , it can jump species . 99.99% of the time it still is harmless , but sometimes it hits a homerun and creates chaos and death . 

This virus isn't from a market , it's been longer in circulation , but they can see that it is a bat virus . This time its a bat , next time it might be a frog / mosquito / or any other animal you might imagine . This time prob it is Chinese ( probably since it looks like it has started there , and the bat species is living there also ) , next time it is USA , France , Russian , or any other place on the planet .

33 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

Various reports from a number of "non approved sources" say he basically piggybacked others work and took credit.  When was the last time he was actually practicing and seeing patients on a regular basis and not being a political mouth piece?

And do these reports cite and quote any of the other authors he collaborated with over his very long scientific career?

17 hours ago, kingdong said:

and it only took them seven months to discover this?

Drs were saying this way back in March about the long lasting effects. I know a couple in the UK still suffering after catching it back in late February. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, johnpetersen said:

Above is what I wrote. Below is how you dishonestly edited it.

What you've done is obviously dishonest.

Thanks for the accusation. However I have not edited anything, not changed a single letter, so if you say that I edited, then you are dishonest. What you posted and claimed it would be „how I edited it“ was not posted by me. You invented it, fabricated it. Why?

You can go back to check what I really posted. You will see that I merely quoted 1 part of your long post, unchanged, to point out a part which I see happening generally in many places, and which seems to be the main reasons for finding more infections.

I find it dishonest to hype up the amount of positive tests, as they are mainly a function of the amount of testing (as your post confirms), and as the recent example of the slaughter houses in Germany shows, also of the quality of the test.

Then the amount of positive tests is quite meaningless. In my humble opionion the focus should be on the amount of deaths, especially excess deaths. They need to be minimized.

Edited by yuyiinthesky
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 1:31 PM, yuyiinthesky said:

Thanks for the accusation. However I have not edited anything, not changed a single letter, so if you say that I edited, then you are dishonest. What you posted and claimed it would be „how I edited it“ was not posted by me. You invented it, fabricated it. Why?

You can go back to check what I really posted. You will see that I merely quoted 1 part of your long post, unchanged, to point out a part which I see happening generally in many places, and which seems to be the main reasons for finding more infections.

I find it dishonest to hype up the amount of positive tests, as they are mainly a function of the amount of testing (as your post confirms), and as the recent example of the slaughter houses in Germany shows, also of the quality of the test.

Then the amount of positive tests is quite meaningless. In my humble opionion the focus should be on the amount of deaths, especially excess deaths. They need to be minimized.

So, editing doesn't include cutting? Especially when it alters the sense of a paragraph?

From the Thai Forum Rules:

You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post."

https://forum.thaivisa.com/terms/

And it's clear you don't understand the point of what I posted. The increase in positives isn't just about increased testing. It's made absolutely clear that the portion of tests yielding postives is rising.

Once again, here is the scientist's entire quote without the way you misleadingly cut it:

“We’re finding more cases because there’s more testing, that’s true,” said Mary Jo Trepka, a professor of epidemiology at Florida International University. “But that’s not the only explanation because we’re also seeing that the portion of positive tests is increasing.”

What does that sentence beginning with "But" tell you?

Edited by johnpetersen
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 12:24 AM, steelepulse said:

Is it the "unlucky" or is it the unhealthy with lowered immune systems, diabetes, obesity, vitamin d deficient, along with other comorbidity factors?  

Sure, nothing you can do about being old, but you sure can boost your immune system, get off the sugar and lead a healthier life.

Many younger fitter people under 50 are living with the longer term effects of the initial infection, my niece is now day 106 post recovery and has multi organ impairment, extreme fatigue.

On 6/28/2020 at 1:04 AM, yuyiinthesky said:

You have a point there.

He personally was not "paying" it was US government funding, and a foundation, not from his personal accounts.

Many governments make funding available in shared collaborations around the world of science , medicine, and armaments.

10 minutes ago, johnpetersen said:

What does that sentence beginning with "But" tell you?

Poor command of English grammar, "never begin a sentence with "but" one rule that should always be observed. Use "However".

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

Poor command of English grammar, "never begin a sentence with "but" one rule that should always be observed. Use "However".

Please, we don't need a usage nanny, especially in an informal forum. These kind of rules are pointless if the meaning is absolutely clear. Unless "but" makes the meaning somehow unclear. Does it? Next thing you know you'll be telling us not to negligently split infinitives or end a sentence with a preposition.

40 minutes ago, johnpetersen said:

Please, we don't need a usage nanny, especially in an informal forum. These kind of rules are pointless if the meaning is absolutely clear. Unless "but" makes the meaning somehow unclear. Does it? Next thing you know you'll be telling us not to negligently split infinitives or end a sentence with a preposition.

You asked "what does it tell you?", so I have told you what it tells me.