exertion, headaches, electrolytes or?

1FinickyOne

When I exert too much in hot weather in particular, I get headaches...

I try to hydrate, maybe not enough, but not sure what other possible issues I am having... could it be electrolytes and what is available and where to purchase?

Any other thoughts welcome... 

once read that over half of headaches are due to electrolytes being low and recommended drinking a sports drink.  As mentioned above, at any drug store they will sell many brands of electrolytes including many flavors - usually 5 baht per package to be used in one regular size (600-650ml) bottle of water.  Any time one exercises in thailand especially outside of a/c for more than an hour dehydration and electrolyte imbalance may occur.  Even if you load up on a lot of extra water, unless your diet is really great, an imbalance in electrolytes may occur.  to play it safe, since I exercise AM for 1.5-2 hours at a time outside and sweating, I drink extra water and electrolytes  every other day.  I haven't had a headache for at least 17 years!  if I do forget the electrolytes for a couple of days occasionally and can feel like a headache might be coming on.  As soon as I drink the electrolytes that feeling goes away!

• Thanks 1

If your blood pressure is normal then yes, electrolytes.

Every pharmacy and 7-11 carries it. The ones at 7-11 are 1 pack to 1 glass of water, can dilute more but don't dilute less.

At pharmacy, ask as there are different size packs which require different amounts of water

17 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

If your blood pressure is normal then yes, electrolytes.

my bp runs a little high though not currently taking meds... I have had this same issue all my life... 

the headaches aren't as bad now but can come just from being out in hot weather... 

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

What is "a little high"?

Exertion will cause an upoward spurt

At times, it can run 140-150 over 85 or so... and this is resting... not after activity.

I am thinking to start the meds again... I recently bought a home in the countryside, w/pool, and view and gardens and very peaceful, no neighbors... and my bp fell to normal 120/80 area w/o meds.. now it is creeping back up at times

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

At times, it can run 140-150 over 85 or so... and this is resting... not after activity.

I am thinking to start the meds again... I recently bought a home in the countryside, w/pool, and view and gardens and very peaceful, no neighbors... and my bp fell to normal 120/80 area w/o meds.. now it is creeping back up at times

You need to get that under better control.

If syatolic runs 149-150 at rest it may be surging dangetously  high with exertion.