Pool Cleaning

Rainmaker

Ive got a Light Blue Vinly Pool that has started to get dirt build up at the waterline, Ive tried cleaning it, which takes off most of the dirt but just above the waterline still looks grubby, anyone got the same problem, whats the best way (chemicle) to clean it ?

Not sure about a vinyl pool, mine is tiles and the top sand wash, but a while back when I used a company to clean the pool, the first inch or so of sand wash used to get a dark line all around. The correct depth was on the sand wash and not on the tiles which would have made the cleaning easier. I used to spend quite a bit of time brushing this off. Since I have been doing my own cleaning, about a year now, I've not had this problem. I think it's because I regularly check the chemicals in the pool and keep them topped up. If you do your own cleaning, are you using enough chlorine? If you are paying someone to do the cleaning, make sure they are not cutting corners by either not checking the ch./ph. or not adding enough chemicals. You can buy a testing kit at the pool supplies for about 250 baht. Remember, if your pool gets a lot of use, it will need testing and topping up more often!

Not sure about a vinyl pool, mine is tiles and the top sand wash, but a while back when I used a company to clean the pool, the first inch or so of sand wash used to get a dark line all around. The correct depth was on the sand wash and not on the tiles which would have made the cleaning easier. I used to spend quite a bit of time brushing this off. Since I have been doing my own cleaning, about a year now, I've not had this problem. I think it's because I regularly check the chemicals in the pool and keep them topped up. If you do your own cleaning, are you using enough chlorine? If you are paying someone to do the cleaning, make sure they are not cutting corners by either not checking the ch./ph. or not adding enough chemicals. You can buy a testing kit at the pool supplies for about 250 baht. Remember, if your pool gets a lot of use, it will need testing and topping up more often!

Ni Monsieurhappy,

thanks for the note, At the moment I do my own cleaning, I think your right, im not getting the chemical balance right.do you know a pool company that will deliver chemicals,Ive look and contacted a few but most say they can but quote allot of dosh. live in Chiang Rai and they dont have much here.

It's a pity you didn't make this post in February as I was up your way later that month and I could have brought you some chemicals from Pattaya. I don't know Chiang Rai well as only stayed there 2 nights but I would have thought there'd be a shop somewhere that sold pool supplies! Do you live anywhere there is a hotel because you could ask their pool cleaner where they get their supplies from. Also ask on the Chiang Rai forum because there must be someone else in that vicinity who has a pool. Good luck anyway!! :o:D

It's a pity you didn't make this post in February as I was up your way later that month and I could have brought you some chemicals from Pattaya. I don't know Chiang Rai well as only stayed there 2 nights but I would have thought there'd be a shop somewhere that sold pool supplies! Do you live anywhere there is a hotel because you could ask their pool cleaner where they get their supplies from. Also ask on the Chiang Rai forum because there must be someone else in that vicinity who has a pool. Good luck anyway!! :o:D

thanks, ill give the hotels a go, see how I get on from there, did you have a good trip to CR?

Most of the stuff you see at the water line is residue from body wastes and the salts that are the result of evaporation. It can be hard to clean especially in vinyl pools as the vinyl gets brittle with strong chemicals.

A dilute mixture of an alkaline cleaner can help, use a domestic scourer (Plastic not stainles :o ) and a lot of elbow grease.

One way of preventing the 'scum line" is to use a surficant type algecide, one that uses benzachonium chloride (spelling ?). Apart from reducing the algae it helps keep the cleaning to a minimum, and one other side benifit is that it reduces the time ducks and water birds spend in the pool. The surficant action makes the birds feel as though they are sinking so they move on. It does not harm th birds.

Most of the stuff you see at the water line is residue from body wastes and the salts that are the result of evaporation. It can be hard to clean especially in vinyl pools as the vinyl gets brittle with strong chemicals.

A dilute mixture of an alkaline cleaner can help, use a domestic scourer (Plastic not stainles :o ) and a lot of elbow grease.

One way of preventing the 'scum line" is to use a surficant type algecide, one that uses benzachonium chloride (spelling ?). Apart from reducing the algae it helps keep the cleaning to a minimum, and one other side benifit is that it reduces the time ducks and water birds spend in the pool. The surficant action makes the birds feel as though they are sinking so they move on. It does not harm th birds.

Thanks phang_paarp, do you know where I can buy some of the Algecide and is there a specific name for it?Ive been cleaning the pool all day and its still not right(pain in the butt) so thanks for the advice.

• 1 month later...