Your Picks For Best/worst Food In The World

jellymeister

I think many countries excel at certain foods.

Best:

Beef - New Zealand (Waikato/Gisborne)

Pork - Canada

Poultry - Canada

Lamb - Australia

Cheeses - France

Seafood - New Zealand (overall) US & Canada (Crab & Salmon)

Veggies - Australia-tie-Canada (organics)

Worst:

Beef - Thai

Poultry - US

Lamb - Canada

Cheeses - China

Seafood - UK

Veggies - US

Favourite International Cuisines:

Moroccan

Israeli/Palestinian/Turkish

Mexican

Korean

Polish

English (when not made in England)

Sechezwan

Not so favourite:

Most Scandinavian

Philippines

Pacific Island

Mediterranean seafood

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-9005-1177143833.gif

Is it possible to get the above smilie added to Thaivisa's standardized smilie list?

:o

What is it? (No, I won't guess)

I'm not 100% sure myself, but it just looks.... different... perverse... sickening... disgusting... twisted...

*in other words, perfect for thaivisa's list*

Perhaps kmart can enlighten us.

Edited by sriracha john

My Top 5

Mexican

Italian

Chinese

Indian

Japanese

Honorable mention whould have to be Thai... It's slowly growing on me as my wife is introducing me to new and interesting dishes. As for American Food. Not sure what that really means anymore. Is it Burgers & Fries? Steak and Potatoes? Apple Pie? I mean America is an immigrant country and most families brought their cooking traditions with them. Growing up in California, sure we had our fair share of steak and potatoes, but my mom also was very diverse in her cooking and cooked her fair share of Mexican (enchiladas and tamales), Chinese (schezwan beef, Fried Rice and stir fry), Italian (Pastas and Lasagna), etc., as well as her mother's traditional Scandinavian dishes.

Anyway, that's one of the biggest things I miss about home is the diversty in food. I mean I can walk down the main street at home and find a good restaurant from any imaginable country. Whereas in Thailand, it's hard to find quality restaurants that aren't Thai.

With that said... Does anyone know of a good Mexican Restaurant in Chiang Mai. I tried a couple and they stink compared to back home in California.

I wholly agree. My usual point when people say crap about certain things American, is that generalization is nigh on impossible, try as they might. Is it Kraft Macaroni and Cheese? (easy target to bash) or is it New England Clam Chowder, Steamers and Lobster Rolls (my hometown stuff, no substitute that I've had on this planet). Is it laughable Pizza Hut or Dominoes or Denny's, or is it Kansas City (or Memphis, or St. Louis, or Texas, or whatever) BBQ, easily on my top ten list for a last meal. Is it Olive Garden pseudo-Italian crap, or is it Northern New Mexican (the best Mexican I've EVER had) chile rellenos? Is it watered-down veggies at the diner, or Hahn's Korean Hibachi on Polk St. in San Fran? I'll stop now.

Anyway, we agree on the diversity thing. Lived in the Bay Area, lived in Brooklyn, between those two places alone, I couldn't cover the variety of the food.

Just got home from an 8 week road trip, hit my usual comfort foods that I can't get here (Chiang Mai), but I was also happy to get back to my Thai favorites, pretty much everything. Moo Op, Moo Gop, KaPow anything, and WAY too many Kai Dao (fried eggs). I have an hard to shake addiction to Thai eggs, not sure why.

Edited by calibanjr.

Worst:

British (for their failed attempt to offer international cuisine at horrendous prices)

German (just too heavy)

Best:

Bulgarian (world class charcoal grill)

Armenian (sumptuous barbies)

Hungarian (best goulash since my dog goulash in Mae Sai)

Mexican (most imaginative use of chili)

Indian (best understanding of international taste)

Thai (light, quick and tasty)

Cypriot (nice variations of Greek recipes)

Australian ( for their successful attempt to offer international cuisine at reasonable prices)

Portuguese( for the best soups in the world)

Scottish (for a world class breakfast)

What is it? (No, I won't guess)

I'm not 100% sure myself, but it just looks.... different... perverse... sickening... disgusting... twisted...

*in other words, perfect for thaivisa's list*

Its the smiley version of Internet legend; "tubgirl". :o A quick Google of same will probably put you off (Japanese) food for life. :D

Edited by andook

The Best: Almost any type of Greek food.

The worst: Grilled (or perhaps it's poached, I've never been entirely sure) gecko lizard. The same applies to that other Eissan delicacy called the tookay. I suppose it's just a question of developing a taste.... I suppose.

Best

African BBQ

Mexican

Greek

Indian

Japanese

Thai/Lao

Italian

Surf & Turf ( all countires )

many more of course :o

Still can eat, but don't prefer.

American

Korean

PI

Russian

Canadian

Guess I can gut most foods. Don't get along with dirty stuf. if it is a clean bug "okay"!

:D

Hahn's Korean Hibachi on Polk St. in San Fran?

Thank you.

I've been raving about how great this restaraunt is for the last 20 years to people visiting San Francisco, but I could never remember the name. The BBQ Chicken is unbelievable!

Restaurants in America rock!

For something different

Top 5 Thai dishes

Pad thai - i love this dish for breakfast [sprinkle with dried chilli flakes]

Tom yum goong-exellent to fix a hang over

Papaya salad-great to get you in the mood for drinking

Stir fried grass hoppers[locus]- great with a beer

Crying tiger or any sea food

My mate/boss here in Sydney is married to a PI and he says the food is ######ing <deleted>. His words not mine. I used to work with a guy from PI and he brought food in. I can honestly say. It did look crap but i never tried it as he never offered. :o But they are all jealous when i go in with some Thai food for lunch.

So for me Thai is number 1

Actually i had a thread similar to this a few years ago. If you do a search you could probably find it.

Edited by Jockstar

It does depend on what i feel like..

Sometimes i crave a slow roasted leg of Lamb from NZ, so soft the meat falls apart, with roast vegies.

Sometimes it is an Indian Butter Chicken

Or a good Australian Steak...

My wife also makes a great Chicken with Cashew nuts, and fried rice

:o

With that said... Does anyone know of a good Mexican Restaurant in Chiang Mai. I tried a couple and they stink compared to back home in California.

Have you tried Miquel's California Cafe?

IMHO, the best - most authentic - California style Mexican food to be found anywhere in Asia, especially during avocado season! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

IMHO, the best - most authentic - California style Mexican food to be found anywhere in Asia, especially during avocado season! :o

You know why you can't get decent Mexican here? No Manteca. It's what makes Mexican food delicious, though fattening/unhealthy.

http://www.texmex.net/products/lard.htm

sorry messed up reply

native scottish food??????would that be deep fried mars bars, haggis and blood puddin mayhaps?????

Definitely got great whiskey to was the aforementioned "doon the wee hatch" though

Interested why you dislike Cantonese...I thought it was supposed to be good

and Tapas...aren't they jsut a bar snack, like an hor d'oeuvre? Paella is good, but do not know of any other Spanish dishes that rate...otoh Portuguese food seems to be quite nice with many seafood dishes....

Well, if you'll allow one of the "most ugliest women" in the world have her say (thanks for that, KireB! :D)

Best food:

Indian

British (actually, we do do some very good food, particularly native Scottish food)

Italian

Australian (good fusion between Western & Asian ideas)

Some Thai (not too keen on the bugs or rats, but love Central Thai food)

Mexican (or Tex Mex)

Turkish/Greek

Spanish (particularly tapas)

Worst:

Cantonese

Phillipines

French, particularly nouvelle cuisine (I like their cheese & their wine, though)

Anything that includes bugs, rats, dog, or loads of bony bits :D

Never tried deep fried mars bars. Are they nice? Yes, haggis neeps & tatties, red puddings, tattie scones, cock-a leekie, white puddings, butter rolls, scotch pies... yum!

I find Cantonese too bland & full of bony bits. Like Szechuan, though.

I like lots of little plates of different tastes. I'd prefer to eat like that than eat a proper meal. Add a good Rioja - yes! :o

OK,

Best:

French (best food at any price)

Italian (best peasant food anywhere)

Chinese (Schezuan/Yunnan)

Mexican

Indian

Thai

Vietnamese

Japanese

Greek/Mediterranean)

Caribbean

American (because you can find all of these in almost any neighborhood and home to restaurant meccas San Francisco and New Orleans)

Worst:

Phillipine (could be usedf as an emetic)

British (Bad, but what's worse is, they think it's good)

Russian

Some Scandinavian

IMHO, the best - most authentic - California style Mexican food to be found anywhere in Asia, especially during avocado season! :D

You know why you can't get decent Mexican here? No Manteca. It's what makes Mexican food delicious, though fattening/unhealthy.

http://www.texmex.net/products/lard.htm

Miquel's uses lard. :o

Christ I'm glad I've never had Filipino food!

I believe that my native Ireland,Scotland and Japans Kobe have the best beef,

Ireland has some top class restaurants and great chef's,but most Irish Cuisine(stodge,corned beef+cabbage,bacon and cabbage,lamb+cabbage...cabbage surprise

(its cabbage stuffed with cabbage :o )and anything served with the devils testicles-SPROUTS is muck in my opinion.

Good-

Real Chinese

Thai

Lebanese

Greek

Italian

Indian(if its done right)

some french dishes

Mexican

Bad

Anything from the former soviet bloc area,stodge stodge stodge!

My sister is a travel correspondent and she reckons Bulagaria is the worst she's had to eat,

it sounded awful,ham served with jam and whipped cream and similar madness!.

anything in my area,Ireland Scotland,Wales(with some notably delicious exceptions to be fair)

anything heavily based around cabbage and potatoes really!

I agree with some posters in that some of the best restaurants in the world are in the states,

but there is no real "American Cuisine" unless you count native American...

and I've read some horror stories about that...

one was about Kit Carson(the famous frontier scout) having a contest

with a Brule Brave to see who could eat more fresh buffalo intestines that were just dragged thru a warm fire,they took one end each of a long "String" and just wolfed

(like Lady and the tramp,but hellishly gross :D )

until Kit Carson won by tugging a big string BACK out of the Brule's mouth(and throat) and ripping/swallowing it.nice...lol hope that hasnt killed anyones appetite after reading about all the good food :D

Edited by QualityTouristNumberOne

Best: Northern Thailand, Udon Thani, Central Thailand, Burma, Canada, England, Scotland, Italy, Norway, Iceland, Holland, U.S.A., Cantonese, Hokkien, Swatowese (Teochiu), French, Malay, Singapore, Taiwan, Korea

Not so good: Spain, Finland, Sweden, Denmark Germany, Austria, Switzerland, northern Chinese (Peking and all points east and north), Japan, Belgium

Favourite dinner: roast beef and yorkshire pudding

Anything from the former soviet bloc area,stodge stodge stodge!

I wonder if it has anything to do with the quality of available ingredients? I've heard nothing good about eastern bloc food, but when I eat food in Canada of Ukrainian or Polish origin it's delicious.

Worst:

British

Thai (Vietnamese, Lao, Cambodian,.. all more/less same)

Japanese

Chinese

German

USA

Best:

Italian

French

Brazilian

Mexican

Indian

Turkish/Greek

We're talking "traditional" here, i.e. there are lot of excellent Italian and French restaurants in both UK and Germany, what I rate is the traditional food of these countries. And yes, I'm not here for the food, more like in spite of the food :o

Thai, Lao and Cambodian food are TOTALLY different! You must not have travelled much. Although "Issan" food is similar to Laotian food it is still quite a bit different both in the ingredients as well as the names for it. Cambodian food on the other hand is completely different from Thai Issan or Lao, Cambodians do not eat spicy food. In my opinion Thai is the winner, in my country there are more Thai restaurants than you can shake an umbrella at but I have yet to ever see a laotian or Cambodian restaurant in the US or any other western country.

Why is no one mentioning middle eastern or greek food?

Nothing is better than pita and hummus with some shishlik!