Your Picks For Best/worst Food In The World

jellymeister

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are your picks for best/worst food

Here's my list…try not to get too nationalisitc....let yer taste buds do the talking.....

Best Food countries

Thai

Japanese

Italian

French

Chinese

Mexican

Vietnamese

Korean

Taiwanese

Isaan/Lao

worst food countries

Philippines

British Isles

German

Most Central American('cept Mexico)

Most South American('cept Brasil)

Cambodian

Russian

American(fast food)

where is English food in the best list ?????? , you must have made a mistake :o:D .

:D Some foods are generally more popular than others. England is famous for fish and chips, Italy for it's pasta dishes, and the Middle East is famous for a few different dishes. Here are popular and widely recognized Middle eastern dishes.! Just my take on MEAST favorites.

1) Hummus

Hummis is a mashed chickpea dip made with tahini, olive oil, garlic and lemon juice served with pita bread.

2) Tahini

Tahini is the foundation of many great Middle Eastern recipes. The paste can also be used as a spread on bread and crackers.

3) Falafel

Perhaps the most widely recognized Middle Eastern food is falafel. The fried balls made of chickpeas, onions and spices make for a tasy appetizer or light vegetarian meal. Falafel makes a great sandwich inside pita bread with veggies. :o

4) Tabouleh

Tabouleh is a salad that has a nice "kick". It makes a great alternative to a traditional salad; tabouleh is made of cracked wheat, mint, parsley and more.

5) Pita Bread

Pita bread is a staple in the Middle Eastern diet. It is served with just about every meal. Warm, toasted, stuffed, or dipped, pita bread is the most versatile food in Middle Eastern cooking. It's easy to make, too!

6) Baklawa

In the Middle East, baklava is called baklawa. The spelling may be different but the tastes are very similar. The Greeks use honey, while in the Middle East, orange blossom or rose water is used for the syrup. This delicious desert may be time consuming, but well worth the effort!

7) Baba Ghannouj

Baba ghannouj is a vegetarian favorite. It's smooth and creamy texture makes it ideal for dipping pita bread or vegetables.

8.)Foul Mudammes is boiled fava beans with spices. Some people prefer them mashed, and foul is traditionally breakfast food eaten with pita bread.

Good MEAST menu! :D

Also the Shwarma ( Chicken / Beef) regular or extra spicy :D at Sukhumvit Soi 5. Best in town without a doudt!

:D

I love the huge variation of dining options in big cities the world over. Bangkok especially has some great restaurants and dining experiences, and with prices much lower than back home.

I get on with foods from just about everywhere, but given a choice prefer Italian.

I do occasionally hanker for fresh North Sea fish. Cod; Haddock; Halibut; Skate; etc. :o With or without chips.

it's not uncommon for British housewives to attempt at cooking something 'non traditional' upto 5 times per week, even if it comes out of a jar or a packet!

And yes, the British women are a pretty ugly bunch on the whole - smoke, drink and eat too much! Their lack of natural beauty is obviously connected to their genetic cocktail of French, German, Roman, Danish, Nordic and Irish invaders of many years ago. They weren't picky!

Oooh, do I detect another bitter divorced man? Whose wife couldn't cook all that well?

Interesting generalisation, there, Sunderland. I'm assuming you've travelled widely in the UK, to be able to judge British women "on the whole"? I, for one, would never judge British men in the same way, as despite having lived all over the UK, I haven't seen nearly enough to deliver a verdict about them "on the whole". :o

it's not uncommon for British housewives to attempt at cooking something 'non traditional' upto 5 times per week, even if it comes out of a jar or a packet!

And yes, the British women are a pretty ugly bunch on the whole - smoke, drink and eat too much! Their lack of natural beauty is obviously connected to their genetic cocktail of French, German, Roman, Danish, Nordic and Irish invaders of many years ago. They weren't picky!

Oooh, do I detect another bitter divorced man? Whose wife couldn't cook all that well?

Interesting generalisation, there, Sunderland. I'm assuming you've travelled widely in the UK, to be able to judge British women "on the whole"? I, for one, would never judge British men in the same way, as despite having lived all over the UK, I haven't seen nearly enough to deliver a verdict about them "on the whole". :o

Just another woman-hater, NR. :D Bet he eats baked beans on toast 3 times a day.

Agreed with the Philippines. :D I always think that French food is a little overrated. - Raw steak flash-fried for 10 seconds, but 4 hours for the sauce? :D

:o

I've had a lot of food from different cultures. What really makes the difference is the quality of preperation and the skill (or lack thereof) of the cooks. But anyhow here's my list:

Best

1. Korean (I'm a big fan)

2. Singapore Hawker food (Love that Chilli fried Crab)

3. Chinese and Vietnamese

4. Turkish (had a lamb stew once in Ankara that was fantastic)

5. French (used to be a restaurant in Vung Tau, Vietnam run by this old French woman that did a sea-bass in wine sauce that was wonderful)

Worst

1. Ethiopian (sorry to my Ethiopian friends, but it was bad)

2. Some Greek (some is good, but it can also be very bad)

3. Mass maket American fast-food. (ans I'm an American originally)

Thai

I am sorry for the Brits here, but the fact that and your food is horrible and you have the most ugliest women in the world, must have some sort of correlation.

Hmm - Keira Knightley and Catherine Zeta Jones aren't half bad to look at and Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsay cook our dishes fairly well.

Where are you from and why are you so annoyingly smug ?

:o

Thai

I am sorry for the Brits here, but the fact that and your food is horrible and you have the most ugliest women in the world, must have some sort of correlation.

Hmm - Keira Knightley and Catherine Zeta Jones aren't half bad to look at and Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsay cook our dishes fairly well.

Where are you from and why are you so annoyingly smug ?

Another dummy with an inferiority complex. Obviously from a former enclave of the Empire... :o

I hate to say it but I have to disagree with the USA being on the poor list - In my experience the food in the states is fantastic, Some of my most memorable meals have been there and I've only spent a total of 6 weeks there in my life. It's not just the Pizza's, Burgers etc.. that are great but steaks, Tex-mex, Ribs.

In terms of Britain, I believe we have some of the greatest chefs in the world and nothing tops a Sunday Roast.

Some good, some bad in USA. SF & NYC top cities. Much variety & gret ethnic food there. Run-of-the-mill smaller town restaurant food is usually crap. Some microwaved slop that came from the supermarket frozen food section. Cooking with fresh vegtables & other ingredients is a rarity. No so, is SE Asia, at least yet.

I really have to come to the rescue of English food on this thread! I would think that most of the posters who have placed it in the worse food part of their post have never tasted “good” English home cooking. ie. Home grown and home cooked.

The EU and the big supermarket chains have gone a long way to kill off good, traditional home cooking in the UK! Most of the rubbish they sell is imported and not always of the best quality. Traditional varieties of vegetables have long since been replaced with cheap tasteless Euro crap that can be packaged to look nice on s/market shelves! The endless varieties of potatoes that were once available have been replaced with “things” that turn to cotton-wool when cooked!

English cooking is not bland! It certainly doesn’t need loads of spice and chillies to kill the taste as does a lot of countries foods. The problem is the lack of good cooks in restaurants unless you are willing to pay dearly for your meal. Staff at cafes and restaurants get paid minimum wage or even less so are not likely to want to go out of their way to do a good job. Ingredients too are likely to be bought in bulk so making quality even less. The photo earlier in the thread of pie & mash in London makes me feel sick just looking at it and the only place for it would be the bin! If posters are using this as a level for English food then you should stick with Mac/sh!ts!

There are good places to eat in the UK but they aren’t usually found in tourist areas. Neither are they the restaurant chains that have been set up by the licensed trade ie. Pub grub! You have to search but they are to be found and then you’ll taste the difference!

I’m going back in July and I can’t wait to taste new potatoes, fresh garden peas, lamb and mint sauce washed down with a couple of pints of Marstons Pedigree!

I am not going to knock other countries food here as there is good and bad in every country. I love a good Indian curry, Italian pasta and Turkish stews, to name a few. What I detest is the stuff that is made from who knows what and made to taste like something it is not! Keep traditional cooking alive and get rid of all this fast food rubbish!

As for English women! Well, although I prefer Thai ladies I don't think the English girls are such bad lookers, it's just that when they open their mouths they sound like they're on the set of "Eastenders" ( a British soap for those who have never heard of it )

Great post, top drawer! :o

Anybody who associates the pie and mash in that photo with any kind of food really knows <deleted> all about food and should get out more. But I'm afraid that sort of crap is what most people who visit the UK get served up with. Unless, generally speaking, you are paying top whack at restaurants in the UK you will not get great food. Even home cooking is going down the pan with the population increasingly melded to the PC's, playstations and televisions. Meals, for these sub-species, are precooked frozen packet dinners stuck in the microwave for a couple of minutes and gulped down whilst watching another mindless reality TV show. :D There are generations of people coming through now who don't know where food comes from, other than Tescos, nor how to prepare it from scratch. Give these people a raw carrot and they wouldn't have a clue what it was or what to do with it.

Among my favourites are:-

Asian (Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, Malaysian, Chinese, Korean and Japanese)

Middle Eastern (Lebanese and Persian)

European (Italian, Spanish, Greek, German - Bavaria and English - proper cooked regional)

American - anything but fast food.

I'm not going to include a bad list as it is only subjective and heavily influenced by bad experience. You remember one bad meal a lot better than ten good ones. I recently went to the Philippines with my gf and she showed me some good PI food but I still have to agree that it wasn't great and the rice was a disgrace, they really need to take lessons from the Thais. Also I've only listed the foods I've tried and remember so if it aint on the list it don't mean I don't like it.

btw there was an article in the paper recently where Italian chefs were slagging off Italian food cooked throught the world (but not in Italy) saying that largely it was an insult to real Itailian cuisine.

• 3 weeks later...

And after persusing the various replies the winners are

Best

1. Italian(virtually no bad reviews)

Honourable mention to 2. Thailand which had great reviews from most but was disliked by some

Worst

1. Philippines hands down(with honourable mention to the 2. Brits who nevertheless valiantly and predictably attempted to sell some of the merits of their widely disliked food)

The people hath spoken![/size]

IMO, anything is better than the meals we used to get at school in England. It's no wonder the English have a rep for bad food. What they eat nowadays is actually a big improvement on the old school meals. I used to duck out lunchtimes and go to grandma's. Her bangers and mash were a luxury by comparison.

Edited by qwertz

Best- Thai.

Worst- Filipino.

Most over rated: Italian. Excellent, especially without the tomato sauce Sicilian included in the mix. But not the Eden of the culinary world that some think.

What do people mean by "American" food? Native corn? Buffalo? There's no such thing as "American" food. The food in the US at its best is ethnic restaurants that serve other peoples' food. So American is not best or worst, it's just--not.

What do people mean by "American" food? Native corn? Buffalo? There's no such thing as "American" food. The food in the US at its best is ethnic restaurants that serve other peoples' food. So American is not best or worst, it's just--not.

Actually, much of the food in America originated in other places - and a lot of it didn't - but it is often quite different from the original recipes. Some of the best Mexican style food in the world is served in California and New Mexico, but it has little in common with food in Mexico or with each other.

Italian food in the US is also quite different from Italy, and many people would say better.

The truth is that if you visit the US and do some research (and avoid fast food places), you will find some of the most delicious food anywhere and unlike England, it doesn't have to be in very expensive restaurants. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Those places in the SW US are Mexico by culture in many ways, just as Issan is in many ways Lao. And just like Issan, the border is in the wrong place, at least from a cultural-historical perspective.

Italian food in the US is more traditionally Sicilian, at least back East. Nowadays in the upscale places in major cities it tends to be Italian fusion.

My point is that what we mean by American food is almost all adopted from other places, just like we Americans. Maybe an exception is what I consider to be some of the best food in the US. Local food cooked plain. Like steamers, lobster, corn on the cob, blue hubbard squash boiled and mashed with a little butter, salt and pepper (you now, the three "American" spices), etc.

IMO, anything is better than the meals we used to get at school in England. It's no wonder the English have a rep for bad food. What they eat nowadays is actually a big improvement on the old school meals. I used to duck out lunchtimes and go to grandma's. Her bangers and mash were a luxury by comparison.

Hey! Watch it, m8! :D My Mum used to be top "dinner lady" for a lot of schools in the region. Her job was to plan (heavily subsidised) nutritious meals for schoolkids within severe economic constraints for the UK's free education system. What were you expecting; the maitre' d asking which hors 'deuvres sir preferred before his lobster bisque? :o

At least kids got fed nutritious grub for extremely low prices. Free milk as well, as I recall. A lot of those kids otherwise got nothing but fish 'n chips / jam sandwiches, because their Mums were too busy at the bingo / pub to be arsed cooking for them.

I find I must state my earlier point again :

...the greatest thing about food in the US is the incredible diversity – in NY you have food from the entire planet – and most major cities are excellent as well. Even living in BK I still miss the diversity of food in NY. For food that is considered more US based, I have to say US high quality beef is still my favorite – and if you have ever gone to a true NY deli, you would know how good a sandwich or a bagel can be. Sure, there is a percentage of the population that does not understand good cooking and thinks ketchup on spaghetti is normal, but you find that in any country. Stop thinking burgers and fries (which can be great) – think ribs, shrimp or chicken gumbo, smoked salmon, Maine lobster, Alaskan King Crab, crab at a Maryland crab shack, fresh venison stew – if you have not tried these, you have not tried American food...

If you think Burger King is American food, you don't know what American food is.

I hate to say it but I have to disagree with the USA being on the poor list - In my experience the food in the states is fantastic, Some of my most memorable meals have been there and I've only spent a total of 6 weeks there in my life. It's not just the Pizza's, Burgers etc.. that are great but steaks, Tex-mex, Ribs.

In terms of Britain, I believe we have some of the greatest chefs in the world and nothing tops a Sunday Roast.

I have to agree with the above statement.

As a Thai living in NY for over 15 years. I often entertain most of my Thai friends including some distinguished staffs from the Thai consular. They praise a lot about the foods ( Ameican, Thai, Chinese, Italian). Many of these gusests express so surprise to find such a great tasing food from these food established in NY. They all agree that this got to do with the freshness of the ingredients. Besides , it's well known that all the best chefs gone to NY.

Best- Thai.

Worst- Filipino.

Most over rated: Italian. Excellent, especially without the tomato sauce Sicilian included in the mix. But not the Eden of the culinary world that some think.

Nonsense! You are either a tourist or someone who lives with his mother.

My Top 5

Mexican

Italian

Chinese

Indian

Japanese

Honorable mention whould have to be Thai... It's slowly growing on me as my wife is introducing me to new and interesting dishes. As for American Food. Not sure what that really means anymore. Is it Burgers & Fries? Steak and Potatoes? Apple Pie? I mean America is an immigrant country and most families brought their cooking traditions with them. Growing up in California, sure we had our fair share of steak and potatoes, but my mom also was very diverse in her cooking and cooked her fair share of Mexican (enchiladas and tamales), Chinese (schezwan beef, Fried Rice and stir fry), Italian (Pastas and Lasagna), etc., as well as her mother's traditional Scandinavian dishes.

Anyway, that's one of the biggest things I miss about home is the diversty in food. I mean I can walk down the main street at home and find a good restaurant from any imaginable country. Whereas in Thailand, it's hard to find quality restaurants that aren't Thai.

With that said... Does anyone know of a good Mexican Restaurant in Chiang Mai. I tried a couple and they stink compared to back home in California.

I agree with you completely, the greatest thing about food in the US is the incredible diversity – in NY you have food from the entire planet – and most major cities are excellent as well. Even living in BK I still miss the diversity of food in NY. For food that is considered more US based, I have to say US high quality beef is still my favorite – and if you have ever gone to a true NY deli, you would know how good a sandwich or a bagel can be. Sure, there is a percentage of the population that does not understand good cooking and thinks ketchup on spaghetti is normal, but you find that in any country. Stop thinking burgers and fries (which can be great) – think ribs, shrimp or chicken gumbo, smoked salmon, Maine lobster, Alaskan King Crab, crab at a Maryland crab shack, fresh venison stew – if you have not tried these, you have not tried American food.

The problem I have with rating favorites is, how do you rate food from a country? For example, unless you go to Chinatown in LA or NY, Chinese food in the US is not anything like Chinese food in PRC or Taiwan. I loved the westernized Chinese food I used to eat, but I nearly gagged the first time I ate Chinese food in Taiwan. Mexican food is another example – the food you are getting at international Mexican restaurants is not real Mexican food, it is more Tex Mex. Most food in Mexico is pretty bad. Compare that to Thai food, I thought I did not like Thai food growing up, but in Thailand I eat it all the time – it is fantastic – though in the last couple of years, I have had better Thai food when traveling back to the US.

Oddly, one I did not see on the list is Cuban food – which is especially good if you like pork dishes (though I have only had it in Miami). Lebanese food is also well worth a try for something a little more exotic (though I have only tried it in BKK).

Sorry to the UK, but even while in London, I found traditional British food far too bland – but the Indian and Italian restaurants in London were great. Someone mentioned Moroccan food, I have never had Moroccan food outside of Morocco, and that is because the food there was such garbage I would not dare to eat it again.

Furbie, on your list of great American foods ; ribs, shrimp or chicken gumbo, smoked salmon, Maine lobster, Alaskan King Crab, Maryland crab cake, Fresh Vernison.... May I add my faverite stone crab claw ( it comes only once a year), NY steak, and Manhattan clam chowder.

The OP posts American fast food at the bottom list, you can't blame him/her, it seems that all he/she only associates with those fast food joints.